Aquaman Spoilers Thread (just in case ;) - please don’t enter if you don’t want to be spoiled)

Possibly, I'm not a fan of the idea that there's a special class of people who are better than everyone else. Of course I'm not a fan of monarchies either.
It’s an unfortunate trope of the early 20th century wierd pulp fiction Wan & Co. were clearly drawing from for Aquaman. The copy of Lovecraft’s “The Dunwich Horror” on the coffee table in the first scene is a big tell that that’s where we are going: HPL, Robert Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, all that lost continent, ancient civilizations, elder monsters from the deeps, etc. stuff. And in all that it’s common to have the “degenerate race” of people who have become bestial in some way — apelike, fishlike, whatever — except for the ruling family or caste who have remained human by keeping their bloodline untainted. And as you would expect it’s often horribly racist. In Aquaman it’s wisely reduced to little more than a plot device. I can live with that.

Superheroes are individual people from all walks of life, dedicating themselves to helping others, not a race of people imposing segregation.

Characters who think their special abilities give them the right to rule are supervillains.

Vulko, Mera and Princess Scales didn't think they can rule....they could simply breathe on the surface :)

They were part of the ruling class, two of them in line to rule a kingdom based purely on their genetics.

They were part of the ruling class, two of them in line to rule a kingdom based purely on their genetics.
I don't think democracy model works in all cases or is idealized solution to every civilization.

Democracy might not be best for societies with poor education or communication systems, but I think Atlantis could handle it.

I think it would've been best if all atlanteans could breath both air and water.
The only thing you lose from the film is Murk sticking his head in a toilet.

I think it would've been best if all atlanteans could breath both air and water.
The only thing you lose from the film is Murk sticking his head in a toilet.
Actually, I really appreciated how their suits were reverse of human suits..

Humans need suits with pressurized air inside to breathe underwater but Atlanteans needed water filled suits, it sets up nice parallel of beings living above / below water.

If they had shown that all Atlanteans can breathe air then it begs the question why they are still living under water.

Traditionally, Atlanteans do okay out of the water for a while, but hey can't remain out of it indefinitely.

I think in the comics it is Aquaman's special ability to breath air. Black Manta did kill his son by exposing him to air.https://******************.com/files/2018/05/MantaKilslArthursSons.jpg

Awful I hope we won't ever see this on screen. I want to see Aquababy being super happy and Arthur teaching him to swim and stuff :D

c584xV3.jpg

one thing that bothered me and I must first state I have no knowledge of any aquaman comics is that how was black manta able to reverse engineer that plasma gun that was given to him by Orm?
I know it's absurd to say but that almost took me out the movie
not the battle sharks or drummer boy octopus but the reverse engineering was a bit much lol

If they had shown that all Atlanteans can breathe air then it begs the question why they are still living under water.
'cause it's nice there. :cwink:

Actually, I really appreciated how their suits were reverse of human suits..

Humans need suits with pressurized air inside to breathe underwater but Atlanteans needed water filled suits, it sets up nice parallel of beings living above / below water.

Why live in 30% of the earth when you can live in 70% of the planet?

Why live in 30% of the earth when you can live in 70% of the planet?
There's always the question why don't they just flood the entire world so it would be 100% water, and nobody to dispose nonsense in the oceans.

If Manta does one day murder Arthur's son, I'd want them to kill the boy when he's older, maybe a teenager. That way, Arthur's relationship with him is deepened through years of interaction, and we as an audience don't have to see Manta murdering an infant. Still hurts a parent to lose their child, regardless of the age.

Let's also not deny the poetic justice, since Manta blames Aquaman for the death of his father.

If Manta does one day murder Arthur's son, I'd want them to kill the boy when he's older, maybe a teenager. That way, Arthur's relationship with him is deepened through years of interaction, and we as an audience don't have to see Manta murdering an infant. Still hurts a parent to lose their child, regardless of the age.

Let's also not deny the poetic justice, since Manta blames Aquaman for the death of his father.

Nobody is ready to see that in a theater tbh, i hope they ignore that

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"