Can BLADE be rebooted in the Marvel Movie Universe?

kdiddy591

Civilian
Reaction score
Are the rights up with Blade? Can Marvel reclaim the rights? If they can, should BLADE be rebooted and brought into the Marvel Movie Universe?

Forget Wesley Snipes. Blade should be rebooted with a new actor. Set it apart from the Avengers though. Anyone agree?

I would love it personally. Not to mention you can make all kinds of cool stuff like Avengers + Blade vs. Dracula's army!

I think Blade better as a stand alone type film

Blade is best in his isolated world. Back in the Tomb of Dracula, Nightstalkers, Blade, and tie-in Midnight Sons comics, the tone was dark. In Ghost Rider, for example, a news anchor got slaughtered on live television just to get GR's attention. As soon as Blade gets taken out of that kind of environment all faithfulness with the subject material is discarded.

No way should Blade ever be connected into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. :doh:

I also think that Blade works better separate from most of the Marvel Universe. But if Blade is rebooted I would like them to remove the scientific explanation for vampirism to allow for the inclusion of werewolves, demons, and magic.

Also, I hope any reboot would leave open space for the Midnight Sons characters or MI-13. So, I don't want total isolation from the MU. But I don't think Blade would work as well if he was included in the shared movie universe being constructed at the moment.

An alternate, perhaps containing Blade, Ghost Rider, and Moon Knight would be nice though.

Blade should be a solo character, at least for starters. The first two films were great, because Blade retained the whole "I don't play well with others" attitude, and it shows when he's forced to lower that shield of his to stop the new breed of vampires in Blade II. When he willingly joined with the Nightstalkers in Trinity, that's when things went sour and he was playing second fiddle in his own film, so solo movies for Blade are a must. If anything, have Blade, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Doctor Strange, and whoever else would fit the bill start in their own movies (as the MCU is doing with the Avengers movies), and have it slowly build towards a common threat that affects all these characters, and requires them to work together to stop. Be it an evil alliance between Mephisto, Dormammu, and Dracula, or just some threat that would truly require their attention and combined effort. Most important to making something like this work is to do it organically, while still allowing these characters to break off and do their own thing in their movies.

Snipes made Blade, hell alot of comic fans wouldn't know who he was if it wasn't for Snipes.

There are three reasons to not do this.

1) The Blade movies made the character into something far more interesting and cool than the source material is.
2) Blade has always sat on the fringes of the actual Marvel Universe, and forcing him into the Avengers world is unneeded.
3) The Blade series is done, and the character is not important enough to revisit.

No way. Snipes played a bigger part in the character's popularity than any comic book writers bar the creators. It would be like making an Indiana Jones film without Harrison Ford.

I for one feel Blade can be played by multiple actors/martial artist's

I mean, should the franchise/character just fade should Sniped become tired or too old to play him? Hell no, it needs to continue

I say start from scratch and give us more Blade, and I wouldn't mind him in a shared universe either. As long as he's the main focus of his films

What about Sticky Fingas in Blade the Series? Didn't he make an interesting Blade?

I haven't seen it but from what I heard he was hardly the main focus of the show and didn't perform much martial arts (due to not knowing any)

If that's all true (and judging from it's very early cancelation) I would say he probably didn't

I haven't seen it but from what I heard he was hardly the main focus of the show and didn't perform much martial arts (due to not knowing any)

If that's all true (and judging from it's very early cancelation) I would say he probably didn't

I did see it, and he didn't make a very good Blade. The focus was placed more on the Krista character, and her arc was actually far more interesting than anything Blade was doing.

If the timing was different, then yes it would be great to have another, darker integrated Marvel universe, but I doubt Snipes is ever going back to the role, and I doubt we will get another Blade film any time soon. It would be nice to have the big "Marvel superhero" universe of films, and then also have a "Marvel Knights-esque" universe.

As much as I loved Wesley Snipes and what he did for Blade. He made me a fan, and none of the comic versions I've read since-the Guggenheim series or the MI:13 Blade have been as cool. That being said, I think Blade has to be bigger than one actor.

Just like Batman is bigger than one actor or Superman is bigger than one actor, Blade has to be considered the same way. The potential has only just been realized with Snipes, so I think many of us get hung up on that. Whereas we've seen George Reeves and Christopher Reeve both do their thing as Superman and also Michael Keaton, Christian Bale, and even Kilmer and Clooney as Batman.

Marvel has done a horrible job with the character over the years, but I hope we get a revival. I would love to see Wesley back, but if that's not possible, it wouldn't be a deal breaker with me.

In fact, I think a new/rebooted Blade should go in a different direction anyway. The Snipes-Goyer films were very stylistic and unique to their time period (late 90s/early 20s). I still would find it hard to be believe that a big black man, rocking a box cut and armed to the teeth in black leather wouldn't arouse suspicion walking down the street. I would like a change in style and not the tight leather or S-Curl from the Guggenheim series or the lightning streaks hair design from MI: 13.

The focus should be more on what makes Blade tick than what he's wearing. Go back and develop his relationships with people, whether they are twisted or not. And let him have sex for goodness sakes. I'm glad at least MI:13 either did this or were headed in that direction with Blade and Spitfire.

To be fair, I think the Guggenheim series did try to alter the character. It seemed to give him an expanded, though vague, history, far back into the past than the movies. It also gave him a white Latverian father. I was intrigued with an ancient Blade but didn't care for the white father thing. Even though I sort of liked Cross as a character. Also, they replaced Blade's hand with a wooden stake. I didn't care for that as well.

On the TV series, Goyer also tried to alter the character, but I think most of this did a disservice to Blade. Blade was depowered IMO, less intelligent (he once told Shen that he was the was the 'smart one', not Blade), and took a backseat to new character Krista Starr. I thought Kirk Jones was okay as an actor. He's not as skilled as Snipes, and he's not a trained martial artists, and both of those showed from the pilot. But over time I think he got better in the role. I think Goyer conceived of Blade as being more muscle anyway, more of the silent, brooding type, though Jones-Blade did start to use his brain toward the end of the series, I guess. But Jones' Blade wasn't meant to be the main character. He was just meant to come in occasionally and kick a little ass, or try to, while most of the show was devoted to Krista and Marcus.

Though the vampire cycle currently in vogue is bound to go bust eventually, it makes no sense that comics greatest vampire hunter is sitting on the shelf. Marvel has an upcoming Death of Dracula storyline and it would make sense to have Blade play a big role in that. Here's hoping that with talk of doing reboots that Blade gets another shot.

Last edited:
Well nice to know a black man in a leather is so threatening, I bet black men in general are just threatening................

Blade needs to stay out. I think Blade is now needed more then ever with twilight and true blood(which from what I heard is a very good show and not at all twilight but....you know the romance angle) now more then ever. He can be replaced as long as its by someone not trying to be Snipes being Blade. He really has no place in the realm of Iron Man. I mean you got Gods and man of Science but vampires are really an existing issue? I mean hell wolverine can end this threat in a few days.

Now I wouldn't mind though is if there was another marvel universe. Ghost Rider and Blade can coexist.

I say keep blade in his own universe, I highly doubt the general public would accept or be into spider-man or ironman teaming with blade in a movie, it would just come off silly and weird. now I do think however given daredevils's dark world that they might have something there as far as blending. I would love to see blade back again but with another A-list actor, snipes looked tired in the role in blade:trinity. how about tyler perry? :doh:

Storyteller,

It seems like you missed the part about being armed to the teeth. I thought the scene in Blade I with Blade walking down the street, in a leather trench coat, body armor, with a sword hilt sticking out of his back and loaded for bear and no one gave him a second look was unbelievable.

Please read and quote my statements thoroughly before you make assumptions about me.

There are three reasons to not do this.

1) The Blade movies made the character into something far more interesting and cool than the source material is.
2) Blade has always sat on the fringes of the actual Marvel Universe, and forcing him into the Avengers world is unneeded.
3) The Blade series is done, and the character is not important enough to revisit.

I totally agree. Blade is a case like MIB, where they took a throw away book, and turned it into something really cool. Blade had a bad end with Trinity thanks to Ryan Reynolds, and Jessica Biel. Even Snipes knew it was over.

They tried doing the TV show, and that fell flat on it's face. Although it ended with one of the biggest unresolved cliff hangers ever, they will never go back.

to be fair, the tv show probably would have succeeded had they gotten an actual martial artist to play Blade instead of a horrorcore/gangsta rapper that didn't know squat about fighting

I don't get why people feel that Blade is 'done'. I think just about any character can be resurrected. James Bond, Captain Kirk, and Sherlock Holmes for example have all been recently rebooted to much success. And Hollywood is definitely in a remaking/rebooting frenzy right now. I don't see why someone shouldn't try this with Blade, especially since vampires and the supernatural are very hot right now.

All three Blade films were successful at the box office, even though Blade Trinity was a disappointment. One of the reasons for that was Goyer shoehorning his Nightstalkers into the film, trying to use Trinity as a launching pad for Biel and Reynolds at the expense of providing another good chapter, or a good conclusion to the Blade films.

I'm not 100%, but I thought Blade the series was getting at least decent ratings when it was canceled. I agree that the casting of Kirk Jones wasn't the best move, but I think the decision to make Krista the de facto main character really hurt the show. It might've turned off fans who came to see a show named Blade actually being about Blade. And instead got Krista the Vampire Slayer and a most un-Wesley like Blade. But where I think they've dropped the ball the most is the depiction (s) of Blade in the comics. I think there are a lot more places to take this character.

I agree that the casting of Kirk Jones wasn't the best move, but I think the decision to make Krista the de facto main character really hurt the show. It might've turned off fans who came to see a show named Blade actually being about Blade. And instead got Krista the Vampire Slayer and a most un-Wesley like Blade.

nail on the head right there

all of it, but especially the bold

and that's why Trinity wasn't well recieved either, you just DON'T include sidekicks/side-characters into a blade story (he works best alone and with Whistler). You also don't make them the center of attention

so if they absolutley had to include Krista into the story, then she shoud've been a B character at most.

I would support adding Blade into the MCU, but I don't think you do it by bringing him into an IM story or anything like that. His world would be more of an extension of the current universe and acknowledgements of the main universe could be done through newspaper headlines or television reports or references to SHIELD. I think they should continue to have Blade operate mostly on his own, though he could have some interactions with Dr. Strange or Ghost Rider (should Marvel get the rights back).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"