Clark Gregg is Agent Phil Coulson

Webfoot Hero

West Coaster
Reaction score
Based on today's release, Clark Gregg will make his long-awaited returned to the MCU's film division as Agent Phil Coulson, in what will likely be a flashback role.

Movie takes place in the 90s so I have no problem with it. Coulson was experienced in Phase 1 and mentioned it so it will be cool seeing him again.

I want Ross to make an appearance as well even better if him and Coulson talk.

Would've rather seen Peggy Carter back since she might've been Fury's boss at the time and I would've been interested in seeing them interact. But Coulson's alright I guess. :oldrazz:

It will be interesting how they use him because on Agents of Shield, it seems like he had no idea what the Kree were before the show.

Even as someone who Has watched AOS from the start, I look forward to seeing him in the movies again.

It will be interesting how they use him because on Agents of Shield, it seems like he had no idea what the Kree were before the show.
It honestly wouldn't even shock me if they ignored AoS continuity completely.

Does anyone think any of the AoS cast is not happy Coulson landed another movie gig? LOL

Does anyone think any of the AoS cast is not happy Coulson landed another movie gig? LOL
With how close the cast is on that show, I think they're happy on him and pretty understanding on why he'd be included in this film.

With how close the cast is on that show, I think they're happy on him and pretty understanding on why he'd be included in this film.

You don't think Ming-Na Wen isn't looking over and saying "Melinda was in SHIELD back then too" :cwink:

I don't think they can get Coulson too involved with the crazier stuff in this movie... As in, he shouldn't be exposed to too much in this movie, or else it might contradict his appearances in Agents of SHIELD and even the Phase One films. He can't see too much (especially with Kree or Skrulls) or you'll be wondering why he didn't mention that stuff later.

Yes, I know Feige "doesn't care" about AoS or what the movies might do to make them irrelevant, but I honestly believe Clark Gregg wouldn't have signed on for this movie if he thought it'd basically contradict his Coulson on AoS.

But I'm sure that AoS will let Coulson acknowledge its events after the movie releases (if the show even lives on for another season). It could be their most interesting semi-crossover of the MCU films to date.

It honestly wouldn't even shock me if they ignored AoS continuity completely.

Which would be dumb. I do think they missed an opportunity by not also bringing in Melinda May. It would have been a nice nod to fans of the show.

"Fans of the show" is such a small number compared to fans of the movies, though, I don't see them feeling compelled to make any nods to them. The movie division appears to have no desire to acknowledge the TV division's existence. The whole "it's all connected thing" is a sham the TV division wants people to believe in order to draw in viewers, but seems to have no basis in reality.

I don't think they can get Coulson too involved with the crazier stuff in this movie... As in, he shouldn't be exposed to too much in this movie, or else it might contradict his appearances in Agents of SHIELD and even the Phase One films. He can't see too much (especially with Kree or Skrulls) or you'll be wondering why he didn't mention that stuff later.

Yes, I know Feige "doesn't care" about AoS or what the movies might do to make them irrelevant, but I honestly believe Clark Gregg wouldn't have signed on for this movie if he thought it'd basically contradict his Coulson on AoS.

But I'm sure that AoS will let Coulson acknowledge its events after the movie releases (if the show even lives on for another season). It could be their most interesting semi-crossover of the MCU films to date.
He is going to have lower level clearance. I don't see him having as much time as IM1.

I wonder if he’s going to be like “oh if only my job had an acronym” lol

If he sees the Kree here (and learns that they are Kree), we can chalk it up to memory loss after he died.

It just seems like they are only letting us see Coulson again in a movie because it takes place before Avengers.

Would've rather seen Peggy Carter back since she might've been Fury's boss at the time and I would've been interested in seeing them interact. But Coulson's alright I guess. :oldrazz:

A poor man's Peggy. ;)

It just seems like they are only letting us see Coulson again in a movie because it takes place before Avengers.

That's exactly what they're doing.

It is a little weird Peggy/Hayley wasn't in the press release, kind of figured she was a shoe-in.

From memory in TWS the whole thing with Fury bring promoted by Pierce was '92, but can't recall if that was the director job or something lower. Guess it depends on how early or late 90s this is, if it's like '91/'92 Gulf War era I could still see Peggy being working, with Nick being groomed to take over.

30-something mid-level field agent Coulson's going to be such a blast though. Probably not a huge role, but assumedly he'll be in it more than young Douglas in Ant-Man or Russell in Guardians 2.

Fantastic news to finally have an Agents of SHIELD crossover with the MCU films. Yes, I know Coulson was in the films first but this still counts considering the character is more synonymous with the TV Series now. Here's hoping he's the second main lead after Carol Danvers.

Do you think if it’s the 90s agent Coulson won’t be balding yet?

It's hardly a "crossover", Dalek. This thing's 10 years or more before Iron Man 1.

It's hardly a "crossover", Dalek. This thing's 10 years or more before Iron Man 1.

Coulson is most well-known for Agents of SHIELD. It definitely counts as a crossover between TV and film in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"