• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Cloak & Dagger Cloak and Dagger General Discussion

Keep in mind that just being associated with something considered sub-par doesn't make that person also sub-par. If I recall correctly Loeb was also involved with Heroes for a time, I'd say he has done a nice job with Marvel TV.

Heroes had its share of problems that were well documented as well. The writers strike, a limited budget that meant they could not really execute big superpowered action set pieces like they wanted and the also being forced to stretch out certain stoylines and plotlines to fill the networks demand for longer seasons.

He's also producing Underground, which is getting a lot of praise (and gives me hope that he can explore issues of race relations in this show as well).

Does it really matter if it's in the MCU? You'd never know the Netflix shows were in the MCU other than occasional mentions of the incident in NY.

He's also producing Underground, which is getting a lot of praise (and gives me hope that he can explore issues of race relations in this show as well).

The Cloak and Dagger comics explored all sorts issues like race, drug abuse, addiction and so on. I'm sure that stuff will be explored in the show as well. I read some old Cloak and Dagger comics and they were surprisingly gritty and mature.

Raphael Saadiq does the score to Underground and appeared in Marvel's Luke Cage. It would cool if they got him to do some work on the score this show as well.

@Marvel's #CloakAndDagger series for @FreeformTV is expected to start shooting February 15 in New Orleans.

I am surprised filming is starting next month considering the show is not premiering until next year.

Hope this will be another good show from Marvel.

I am more familiar with Cloak as a character on his own from Infinity Gauntlet.

Freeform makes me iffy, but Cloak and Dagger have interesting stories. I hope they pull it off and don't make it too...I don't know, melodramatic?

Cloak and Dagger are a bit melodramatic anyway with them being angst ridden teenage runaways that were illegally experimented on. I just hope the romance between them isn't poorly written and the leads have chemistry.

Freeform has a TCA presentation on Tuesday. Might hear some more info then.

Last edited:
Beat me to it ImSGirl95.

I just noticed this budgetary posting while checking my e-mail earlier today http://screenrant.com/cloak-dagger-budget-freeform-marvel-netflix/ (goes into little informational tidbits on the characters found interesting as well). I guess the original source was a local New Orleans newspaper back around November that mentioned "Shadows" (working title that thought a Star Wars based property originally) having this 42 mill budget.

For comparison, I'll bet a lot of the Netflix shows actually have less than that as opposed to equal (Luke Cage and Jessica Jones I'm guessing did not get an even disbursal of funds as Daredevil did out of the 200 mill. allotted in the original deal for all shows). If this has a lower episode order it may look ok special effects wise.

Doubt drugs will feature in the show though as this is something both Disney and Marvel are quite strict about not even allowing on their Netflix properties it seems (at least as relates to smoking).

I'm pretty sure drugs will feature. They got their powers from drug experiments and they often go after drug dealers. Cloak and dagger were marvel's anti drug poster heroes which was a big thing in the eighties. One of their most notable villains is called ecstasy.

Like most of these teen shows the drug dealing villains will be party drug suppliers rather than hardcore narcotics like heroin.

They'll probably do some sort of fictional hard core type drug maybe. I doubt there'll be anyone smoking a cigar or cigarette; something don't want kids picking up from the local gas station no doubt. If it's something so over the top and notably bad to a capital B and not something people can just go into a gas station and legally obtain then perhaps there'll be something.

Drugs have always been a big part of their history.

I thought this was gonna be pitched as some anti drug show when this was rumored instead of a romance show.

Disney issued a decree stating none of their films (unless a historical type film centering around Abraham Lincoln or something) will have smoking whatsoever. Marvel Publishing under Queseda issued the same decree over a decade ago so doubt Marvel TV will have smoking on any of their shows even if an anti-drug show.

If anything it'll be a fictional hardcore drug that melts people's faces off or something that'll deliver said anti-drug message. Perhaps an illegal type drug may be featured but I'll bet it'll be some fictional hardcore drug that will accomplish said message in some of the episodes.

Doubt drugs will feature in the show though as this is something both Disney and Marvel are quite strict about not even allowing on their Netflix properties it seems (at least as relates to smoking).

Did you miss the blind people packaging heroin in Daredevil Season One?

I didn't think of that you're right.

I suppose freeform television could reference some illegal street drug then. The only thing not going to reference is legal stuff like tobacco I suppose.

I didn't think of that you're right.

I suppose freeform television could reference some illegal street drug then. The only thing not going to reference is legal stuff like tobacco I suppose.

Obviously, Freeform isn't Netflix. The show isn't going to be a quasi-R rating. But I would argue, despite being its legal successor, Freeform isn't ABC Family. They've definitely shown they like pushing the envelope and being edgier while still targeted at teens. One of the things they like to do is to explore real issues related to teenagers and young adults. One of the big things related to that these days is Heroin. Honestly, Cloak and Dagger is surprisingly relevant today in spite of seeming such a product of its times.

Tobacco is a whole different animal. It comes from Joe Quesada (iirc, his dad died from lung cancer). The problem is tobacco, of course, is usually shown as something "cool" when it's actually shown. For a while, the comics tried to have their cake and eat it too by showing that only Wolverine could really get away with smoking because he had a healing factor. However, it still meant showing the guy kids viewed as the coolest character in the Marvel Universe smoking. I agree that, at least, no major character will be smoking.

I read about what happened to Mr. Queseda's dad and understand not wanting kids to do this stuff.

Despite perhaps being a bit more edgy on freeform but not as much as Netflix (still has certain boundaries even if extreme violence ok at times), I agree it'll be some illegal drug featured on the show. D-lite perhaps and something like that I agree an actual drug maybe referenced to get across the anti-drug message as well.

On a separate note, as I'm not familiar with the Cloak character, did anyone get him confused with the shroud? I remember the Spectacular Spiderman 208 comic as a kid. He helped Spiderman battle some sort of scary masks that were flying around. Here's a picture of the comic cover if anyone here recognizes it. http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_Vol_1_208

Additional Comment:
I can't believe for who knows how many years I actually thought the same character from Spiderman 208 was "Cloak" lol.
Just thought of an excellent Marvel Face-Off video (for those making fight videos like the Wolverine vs. WonderWoman one). Throw-away character "The Shroud" teamed up with Dazzler taking on Cloak and Dagger in a Marvel Vs. Event. No one's thought of that one before I don't think. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"