Daredevil Daredevil: FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
DDtitle21tm7uafo4_540_zpskt0ga0pn.jpg

DDcostume71syzy1ao1_540_zps3fq9y29y.gif

Here we go, folks. No spoiler tags required. Discuss Daredevil's first season here.

Last edited:
OK so Owlsley is already dead. Ben Urich is dead. Madame Gao is allowed to get away scot free. Kind of disappointed with all that. Oh well.

The ending was a great note to go out on at least. The confrontations with Daredevil and Kingpin were great.

I think they got too death happy this season. Wesley dying? Yes, good, great. That death made sense and had an emotional impact on Kingpin. Didn't see the point in killing off Urich and Owlsley. And yet Madame Gao gets to get away without incident? Rubbed me the wrong way.

My only problem is all the Black Sky stuff getting introduced without follow-up. Seems to be either something for season two or I guess with Defenders.

The Black Sky was a weak MacGuffin. We should've gotten a better explanation on what Black Sky is. If not an explanation, a better hint at least.

Holy crap the flaming ninja and the first fight with Fisk in episode 9 was freaking amazing!

Also, is everyone going to ignore the fact that Daredevil killed Nobu? It might've been self defense, but he still killed him. Then he just pretends he DIDN'T DO IT!

Why Ulrich though?!

It's not a DeKnight show unless he kills off some major characters during the course of a first season. I guess Urich got too close. For his hubris he will never meet MCU Peter Parker or J Jonah Jameson.

It's not a DeKnight show unless he kills off some major characters during the course of a first season. I guess Urich got too close. For his hubris he will never meet MCU Peter Parker or J Jonah Jameson.

Now we'll never see him and JJ bump horns. In a perfect world, I'd rather that obnoxious Nora broad from the BND era Spidey books died in his place.

Can't win em all.... :csad:

I just finished the show, and wow did it live up to and exceed my expectations.

13 hours of some of the finest television content in my opinion.

Just got done with the whole series im on 2 hour sleep but it was worth it. I havent seen this kind of quality tv since breaking bad or hannibal, this was truly a masterpiece of television.

So with all the mystery it is guaranteed much to do with Madame Goa and the Black Sky will be the subject of Defenders. I'm very sleep deprived and junk filled and overwhelmed right now. The language used by Goa in reference to the aftermath of Kobu certainly made me feel he isn't done with. The Fisk flashbacks were gut wrenching. He also might not be as imposing as Duncan but proved to be a much bigger power house and machination of rage.

With all due respect to Duncan...he failed as the Kingpin. D'Onfrio succeeded where he failed.

I'm not trying to knock on the late Duncan, but it was a weaker film. I feel he was mis-cast as Fisk. Also it was a short movie and we did not get to spend as much time with his Fisk.

However, here we got pretty much a no brainer cast as Fisk.

It was a nuanced performance and was properly constructed at first I see him at the gallery with the stupid painting and smugly think to myself what a load of crap.

Then I see his childhood breaking point and his relationship to that art shook me to my foundation.

Plus even if you want to go on a micro scale and compare final fights the show wins both in choreography and the sheer terrifying rage strength and savage nature of Fisk.

The place much further than China must be K'un L'un. And the Black Sky human hurricanes?

OK so Owlsley is already dead. Ben Urich is dead. Madame Gao is allowed to get away scot free. Kind of disappointed with all that. Oh well.

The ending was a great note to go out on at least. The confrontations with Daredevil and Kingpin were great.

I think they got too death happy this season. Wesley dying? Yes, good, great. That death made sense and had an emotional impact on Kingpin. Didn't see the point in killing off Urich and Owlsley. And yet Madame Gao gets to get away without incident? Rubbed me the wrong way.

My only problem is all the Black Sky stuff getting introduced without follow-up. Seems to be either something for season two or I guess with Defenders.

The Black Sky was a weak MacGuffin. We should've gotten a better explanation on what Black Sky is. If not an explanation, a better hint at least.

OK, now that I've taken it all in, I'm going to address some of your concerns.

As I said previously, while Leland Owlsley might be dead, he did mention a son named Lee who was out of town. Gunton was always too old to portray the Owl as he is in the comics. The Owl in the comics would be closer to Murdoch's age and is a physical threat to Daredevil...and Gunton wouldn't be able to do that. Maybe they'll bring in his son as a more comic-accurate Owl in future seasons.

With regards to Urich. Yea, it sucks. I think killing him off is kind of piss poor considering how longstanding his presence in Daredevil lore has been. Also I love Vondie-Hall's portrayal of the character. Urich has always been one of Daredevil's main sources of information, and he isn't going to be there now. Probably my only gripe.

Madame Gao gets away because she'll re-emerge...in Iron Fist. Owlsley asks her if she's referring to China when she tells him she's returning to her homeland. She replies "somewhere much farther." Bet its K'un-Lun, the City of Immortals. Explains why a 80 year old lady could knock Daredevil on his ass with a simple palm strike.
Note also the symbol on her heroin. Looks familiar?
Steel_serpent.jpg

The heroin is also referred to as Steel Serpent. Can't be a coincidence that it is also the name of Iron Fist's arch-nemesis.
Seems that the Triads have ties to a certain exiled martial artist from K'un-Lun.

9/10 easily, huge 1 score away from killing off Ben Urich and having the Owl as some old fart. :b

As I said previously, while Leland Owlsley might be dead, he did mention a son named Lee who was out of town. Gunton was always too old to portray the Owl as he is in the comics. The Owl in the comics would be closer to Murdoch's age and is a physical threat to Daredevil...and Gunton wouldn't be able to do that. Maybe they'll bring in his son as a more comic-accurate Owl in future seasons.

With regards to Urich. Yea, it sucks. I think killing him off is kind of piss poor considering how longstanding his presence in Daredevil lore has been. Also I love Vondie-Hall's portrayal of the character. Urich has always been one of Daredevil's main sources of information, and he isn't going to be there now. Probably my only gripe.

Madame Gao gets away because she'll re-emerge...in Iron Fist. Owlsley asks her if she's referring to China when she tells him she's returning to her homeland. She replies "somewhere much farther." Bet its K'un-Lun, the City of Immortals. Explains why a 80 year old lady could knock Daredevil on his ass with a simple palm strike.
Steel_serpent.jpg

The heroin is also referred to as Steel Serpent. Can't be a coincidence that it is also the name of Iron Fist's arch-nemesis.
Seems that the Triads have ties to a certain exiled martial artist from K'un-Lun.

Just realized something to fix the Ulrich matter. Since Spidey's back with Marvel, why not deviate by having Phil take up the slack? Yes that'll mean cancelling out the chances of Ulrich!Goblin on film but **** it

With all due respect to Duncan...he failed as the Kingpin. D'Onfrio succeeded where he failed.

I'm not trying to knock on the late Duncan, but it was a weaker film. I feel he was mis-cast as Fisk. Also it was a short movie and we did not get to spend as much time with his Fisk.

However, here we got pretty much a no brainer cast as Fisk.

No... Mark Steven Johnson (and Tom Rothman) failed. MCD was only doing what was paid of him

Eh I dunno. I think that would be weak if they transferred all that over to his son. Considering his name was Lee and he didn't sound like a mobster.

Look far be it from me to tell the producers how to do their job, but I feel like it was an ill-advised move. I'm not saying NEVER off Urich, but to kill him off this soon, when you can get so much mileage of the character? Big mistake. Just saying, Urich has been through it all and lived to tell the tale. I feel like it is a disservice to the character. Just saying. Marvel Comics never had the gumption to let Aunt May stay dead. You aren't going to show Aunt May get killed onscreen. Just doesn't happen.

I doubt the City of Immortals would approve of Madame Gao's side businesses. So Iron Fist and the elders will have to have her punished.

No... Mark Steven Johnson (and Tom Rothman) failed. MCD was only doing what was paid of him
And failed as a result :p .

Look I'm just saying what everyone knows and thinks deep down. Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk was much more inspired casting than Duncan. I think Duncan was a good actor, but even Johnson said he only cast him because he looked like he could break Daredevil in half. IMHO, that's only one part of the character. Duncan never became the character. D'Onofrio truly became Wilson Fisk.

And failed as a result :p .

Look I'm just saying what everyone knows and thinks deep down. Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk was much more inspired casting than Duncan. I think Duncan was a good actor, but even Johnson said he only cast him because he looked like he could break Daredevil in half. IMHO, that's only one part of the character. Duncan never became the character. D'Onofrio truly became Wilson Fisk.

You get no objection from me! :woot:

The Gladiator foreshadowing was perfect.

Eh I dunno. I think that would be weak if they transferred all that over to his son. Considering his name was Lee and he didn't sound like a mobster.

Look far be it from me to tell the producers how to do their job, but I feel like it was an ill-advised move. I'm not saying NEVER off Urich, but to kill him off this soon, when you can get so much mileage of the character? Big mistake. Just saying, Urich has been through it all and lived to tell the tale. I feel like it is a disservice to the character. Just saying. Marvel Comics never had the gumption to let Aunt May stay dead. You aren't going to show Aunt May get killed onscreen. Just doesn't happen.

I doubt the City of Immortals would approve of Madame Gao's side businesses. So Iron Fist and the elders will have to have her punished.

Because Editors have used her as a crutch as part of why Spidey should stay young and single in their minds.

Because Editors have used her as a crutch as part of why Spidey should stay young and single in their minds.

Look I'm just saying, this was one of the more important central characters in the Daredevil mythos. I feel he needed more than to drop him 12 episodes into season 1.

Now Urich is gone and we will never see him again other than potential flashbacks. To bring a character like Urich back from the dead is stupid. But now it's game over for Urich and all the great possibilities we could've gotten out of him.

Like I mean. Look at Karen Page. Just like Gwen Stacy, it is her destiny to die. It might not happen in season 2, but it is going to happen. Obviously we are going to spend some time with Karen and learn to love her and be conflicted about her and all that. But I mean...

Eh whatever, I'm rambling. I just think killing Urich off 12 episodes in was the wrong play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"