Daredevil Daredevil General Discussion Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD S1 - May/June 2014 - July/August 2014
JJ S1 - Jan - Feb 2015
DD S2 - June/July - July/August 2015 (Last scene being Dec 2015)

Did you really get the sense of a four month time gap with the last scene? The funeral had snow on the ground (so it certainly wasn't August), but it didn't feel like that was a gap since her death.

Just further evidence for my theory of follow-ups to universally loved movies/seasons are extremely unlikely to match or surpass.

It's just a psychological thing, IMO. When you reach a level THAT high in people's minds, as with TA or DD season 1, there's only one way to go from there, regardless of the quality of the follow up. I liked AOU more than TA, and I'm halfway through season 2 of DD and it's EASILY better than season 1 for me. Granted, maybe it's not "better" from a critical view, but for me as a fan and for the things I enjoy, the show is KILLING it. I was genuinely shocked when I saw 74% even though that's a solid score.

I'm not gonna disagree with you here. I think it's hard to follow up anything that great but in regards to DD season 2, I think it's easily as good as the last season. Anything in the 70s is a bizzarely low score for something this good.

Just further evidence for my theory of follow-ups to universally loved movies/seasons are extremely unlikely to match or surpass.

It's just a psychological thing, IMO. When you reach a level THAT high in people's minds, as with TA or DD season 1, there's only one way to go from there, regardless of the quality of the follow up. I liked AOU more than TA, and I'm halfway through season 2 of DD and it's EASILY better than season 1 for me. Granted, maybe it's not "better" from a critical view, but for me as a fan and for the things I enjoy, the show is KILLING it. I was genuinely shocked when I saw 74% even though that's a solid score.

You took the words out of my Mouth. This season is FANTASTIC,it's at least as good as the first. I fear the same will happen with Civil War, expectations are astronomical even higher than Age of Ultron.

Did you really get the sense of a four month time gap with the last scene? The funeral had snow on the ground (so it certainly wasn't August), but it didn't feel like that was a gap since her death.

I don't really know tbh, but a heatwave doesn't seem that plausible to me past August...maybe September. But the season doesn't take place over the course of 4 months, right? It can't. The show goes pretty much day, night, day, night etc with any time skips being a day or 2...but 4 months would explain Franks hair growth.....

**** me, I hate caring this much about continuity sometimes.

In fairness to RT score, there's only 21 reviews. DD season 1 had 40 or 50 reviews posted as I recall.

You know, its amazing, I was one of those people who really wasn't a fan of the costume when they revealed it last season. But damn, I've done a complete 180 and damn near love it now. Every frame the costume was onscreen this season I liked how it looked more and more. I definitely think seeing Cox in action in the suit in different lightings really helped and made me appreciate the suit's desing a lot more.

I found the new mask glorious. I also think there's something about how Cox wears that suit. He comes off like he adores being in that thing.

I don't really know tbh, but a heatwave doesn't seem that plausible to me past August...maybe September. But the season doesn't take place over the course of 4 months, right? It can't. The show goes pretty much day, night, day, night etc with any time skips being a day or 2...but 4 months would explain Franks hair growth.....

I think season 2 does take place over the course of a few months, I think 4 months or so is plausible. Because it would also explain the progression of Frank's injuries healing from the time that he's arrested to the time of the trial (trials aren't organized and planned overnight and even 'speedy trials') can take months to finally occur. So, personally, I don't see a problem with season 2 starting in late summer or so and having ended by Christmas.

My take has always been that the end of season 1 takes place roughly 'real time' (when the season was released) with the previous episodes filling in the weeks/months before then (Karen does say the past 2 years have been good for the construction business - but remember that reconstruction wouldn't start immediately following the incident. So I think some leeway can be given there, it doesn't have to be *exactly* 2 years since the battle of New York, simply *at least* 2 years since the battle of New York).

This would place Age of Ultron (and Ant-Man) as taking place in between season 1 and season 2. Which - if the case - would it have been nice to have a mention? Sure, maybe. But personally it didn't bother me.

As for Jessica Jones, is there any indication that season 1 of Jessica Jones couldn't be running concurrently with season 1 of DD? (I haven't rewatched JJ at all so I can't remember what indications there are in it of any timeline references). I mean, the only real requirement that I can recall is that Claire has to have met Matt before the events of the season finale of JJ takes place.

I found the new mask glorious. I also think there's something about how Cox wears that suit. He comes off like he adores being in that thing.

I love how he holds his shoulders, does his weird head tilts like Michael Myers, and is always clenching his fists.

Did anyone else notice how Frank was always twitching his right hand...? Neat little thing Bernthal brought to the table.

Just finished. My god... perfect 10. I adored this season.... little bummed about
nobu replacing a certain someone...
but still absolutely loved this season. The finale was perfect

A friend of mine who has watched both seasons so far remembers the movie and his only response in regards to the movie was "At least the MCU version won't have Evanescence in the soundtrack."

I always liked Evanescence being essentially the voice of elektra in that movie. It fit

I think I liked this season more than the first, and I loved the first.

All those darn ninja fights, the performances, especially from Cox and Bernthal. The way being Daredevil consumed Murdock to the point where it felt like there was only Daredevil. The Daredevil/Punisher dynamic. Watching Elektra be completely nuts but desiring that woman at the same time anyway.......

:hmr::hmr::hmr::hmr:

I want more!!!!!!!

I think another thing to consider is that many of the reviews were posted after seeing only the first 7 episodes and they dont have the complete story... So they may not be inclined to change their verdict after watching the whole series

DDS2 is convoluted, that's why it's getting a lesser RT score than DDS1 received. It isn't poorly written from an episodic story-telling standpoint, it's overly plotted and seems contrived at points.

But like I said in another thread somewhere, maybe this one, DDS2 is the second act of a three act play, so there are things happening here that don't fit neatly within a single season. There are things happening here that won't be resolved within the DD series I believe, and other things will be resolved in DDS3.

DDS2 is convoluted, that's why it's getting a lesser RT score than DDS1 received. It isn't poorly written from an episodic story-telling standpoint, it's overly plotted and seems contrived at points.

But like I said in another thread somewhere, maybe this one, DDS2 is the second act of a three act play, so there are things happening here that don't fit neatly within a single season. There are things happening here that won't be resolved within the DD series I believe, and other things will be resolved in DDS3.

no, it's really not.. in all honesty as much as i loved season 1.. it had it's slow moments.. this season flew by... and had alot going on, but was balanced excellently. it was an amazing ride.

I loved season 1, but season 2 was the perfect Daredevil ride.. I really couldn't of asked for more...

Bring back Kingpin for season 3.. along with his assassin's Bullseye and Typhoid Mary, suit Gladiator up, and this will be Daredevil to perfection.

I have tried so hard to get into this series, even harder then Game of thrones.

Having said that I Do like most of the casting and fight work along with the costumes.

For some reason the show just takes 1 step forward and 3 back. The story is beyond boring and the whole law and order lawyer stuff that dominates the show really feels like it drags on. Just be a superhero show a with an edge. Another nitpick is the over the top blood and scars after every single fight. I laughed at how bad the punishers black eyes were when he was in the hospital.

Last nitpick, dont spend an over bundance of time trying to find out its the punisher killing people, we the audience know. Just get on with it.

I have tried so hard to get into this series, even harder then Game of thrones.

Having said that I Do like most of the casting and fight work along with the costumes.

For some reason the show just takes 1 step forward and 3 back. The story is beyond boring and the whole law and order lawyer stuff that dominates the show really feels like it drags on. Just be a superhero show a with an edge. Another nitpick is the over the top blood and scars after every single fight. I laughed at how bad the punishers black eyes were when he was in the hospital.

Last nitpick, dont spend an over bundance of time trying to find out its the punisher killing people, we the audience know. Just get on with it.

so you're wanting Daredevil to actually be very little like Daredevil?

hey i got a news flash for people (speaking for everyone, not directed at you)... not everyone reads or likes every comic based on every comic character under the sun... some appeal to more than others.. it's OK to not like something everyone else seems to.. and it certainly doesn't make a show or movie bad if it doesn't appeal to you.

if you don't like the comic or the character... there's no valid reason you should suddenly like them when translated to film/tv either.

I think early september is reasonable (was supposed to be record highs right? more likely to break records in a less summery month).
The first couple episodes is no more than a couple weeks. But the court case could have easily taken over a month (between when Frank says not guilty and when he goes crazy in the courtroom).
Then hardly a week in prison. And no more than 2 weeks after that. But its late november/early december by the time Potter gives him the new billy club.
idk. haha. Was mostly thinking outloud. But I'm pretty sure it might be safe to (on average) consider a week per episode (sorta like a lot of network television shows).

so you're wanting Daredevil to actually be very little like Daredevil?

hey i got a news flash for people (speaking for everyone, not directed at you)... not everyone reads or likes every comic based on every comic character under the sun... some appeal to more than others.. it's OK to not like something everyone else seems to.. and it certainly doesn't make a show or movie bad if it doesn't appeal to you.

if you don't like the comic or the character... there's no valid reason you should suddenly like them when translated to film/tv either.

I agree 100 percent if you don't like the show dealing with court room drama and law you are not a fan of Daredevil. That is part of the appeal of Daredevil a criminal lawyer by day and vigilante at night.

I agree that season 2 was great... and probably better overall than season 1 - hell the Punisher alone made it better! :woot:
Gotta disagree on AoU though which (prepares for backlash) I thought was an awful movie and only did as well as it did purely down to the following the MCU has made. For me personally Daredevil is by far the best thing in the MCU... though I still need to watch Jessica Jones – and also in Kingpin they have the best.. and probably only credible villain in the entire MCU! Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal is a thing of beauty.

It's a travesty that the second season has only 74 % in Rotten tomatoes. Of course it has half the reviews of season 1 but still. This was a great season, possibly even better than the first. Without a doubt, Daredevil IS the best thing in the MCU right now.

Actually 76%. :yay: But I know what you mean. I read some of the reviews, and noticed that a lot of the negative one's complained that it was too dark and brutal ... :whatever: It's Daredevil, not Teletubbies. If it's dark and brutal, that means that they're doing their job. On the bright side, the audience score is 94%, with an average rating of 4,6/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"