Director/Showrunner Suggestions

Dasher10

I'm like Deadpool IRL
Reaction score
So when it comes to Phase 3 properties that don't have a director or showrunner attached here are my suggestions

Thor 3 (May 2017) - Sergei Bodrov (Mongol, Seventh Son)
Captain Marvel (November 2017) - David Twohy (The guy who directed all the Riddick movies, although if James Cameron were available, I wouldn't object)
Hulk 2 (May 2018) - Gareth Edwards (Godzilla)
Black Panther (July 2018) - Justin Lin (Fast and Furious 3-6)
Inhumans (November 2018) - Brad Anderson (The Machinist, Trassiberian, Stoneheart Asylum)
Avengers 3 (May 2019) - Joss Whedon (he better return)

And as far as TV shows go

Luke Cage - Scott Sanders (Black Dynamite)
Iron Fist - Aaron Shoenke (Super Power Beat Down)

Now if there were room for a new wave of TV shows before 2019, with Runaways on ABC Family and then She-Hulk, Moon Knight and Punisher on Netflix, here's who I'd try to land for them

Runaways - Josh Schwartz (The OC)
She-Hulk - Tina Fey (30 Rock/SNL)
Moon Knight - David Lynch (Mulholland Drive/Twin Peaks)
Punisher - Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film)

And for some Phase 4 properties, I wouldn't mind these
Thunderbolts - James Gunn (he wants to handle this as well, I say, give it to him)
Ghost Rider - Park Chan-Wook (Oldboy, Thirst)
Blade - Gareth Evans (The Raid, The Raid 2)
Eternals - Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, X-Men First Class)

as usual I nominate Vadim Jean and Duncan Jones for whatever franchise they want to do. Add Ben Wheatley to that list

What About Matt Reeves?

For which property? At this point, it's throwing out names instead of looking at an IP and wondering who should direct. I'm pretty sure that's not how this works.

I want to see what's Jones' work looks like on Warcraft before I start supporting him to direct something similar, because while I loved both Moon and Source Code (to a lesser degree), Warcraft is the first time he's stepping outside his comfort zone. If he knocks Warcraft outta the park, then hell yes to him for Thor 3. Or the Inhumans.

After this Sinister Six thing falls through (or happens, whatever), I'd love for Drew Goddard to come back to Marvel to do Captain Marvel. His history with Buffy and Alias makes me think he'd be the perfect guy to take on that character, and he's definitely got the Marvel sensibilities (still bummed he couldn't stay with DD, but at least they got a good replacement for him). I seriously doubt he's burned his Marvel bridges since he's BFFs with Joss Whedon and they're still using his script for the pilot, making him a "consulting producer" on the series.

Also, I'd like Craig Silverstein (Nikita, Turn) or Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, Party Down) as showrunner for Jessica Jones. With Doug Liman being the primary director.

And maybe Howard Gordon (Angel, 24, Homeland) for Iron Fist? I dunno, I'm having a hard time thinking of any other well-known names in TV who might be well-suited to that source material.

Last edited:
Also, I'd like Craig Silverstein (Nikita, Turn) or Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, Party Down) as showrunner for Jessica Jones. With Doug Liman being the primary director.

Melissa Rosenberg is the showrunner.

I'd like him for the eventual X-Force

That's over at Fox and Fox already has directors for X-Force and Deadpool along with the Wolverine and X-Men sequels. The only upcoming film based on a Marvel property that doesn't have a director is Black Cat.

And for Black Cat, the best thing that Sony could do is get Paul Greengrass, Isaac Florentine or Kurt Wimmer on board to direct.

I'd like to see Phil Lord and Chris Miller, Matt Reeves, and Gareth Edwards take on a Marvel project down the line.

How is it even possible for me to mention the director of A Serbian Film and not get any sort of reaction?

I'd want Frank Darabont to run a Punisher show. Marvel would give him the necessary time and resources to do it the way he'd want, unlike AMC with TWD. If he'd be interested of course.

I dunno about director, but to me, the absolute no-brainer screenwriter choice for Black Panther is John Ridley, who just won an Oscar for 12 Years a Slave, and has also written for WB's Justice League and Static Shock cartoons, as well as the films Three Kings and Undercover Brother.

The way I figure it, we know this guy can write superheroes, we know this guy is drawn to black-centric material, and if this guy can write an absolutely brutal, harrowing slave narrative on one end of the spectrum, and a goofy-as-all-hell blaxploitation spoof action comedy on the other end, he should definitely be able to write a Black Panther movie somewhere in the middle.

If Marvel can get him to write, then they can put whoever they want as the director, as far as I am concerned.

How is it even possible for me to mention the director of A Serbian Film and not get any sort of reaction?
What reaction were you looking for though? I just shrugged and thought to myself "Gods, no."

I did like quite a few of your other suggestions, though.

Gareth Evans for Iron Fist. He's the director of the Raid movies, and interested in doing the character. Just give the keys to him and let him do his thing.

Yeah, but he's only interested in it if he can do a hard-R take on the character. I don't see why Iron Fist would need gore. I'd rather Evans handle Blade instead where he'd actually take the job since he'd be allowed to feature all the blood and dismemberment that he feels he needs to use.

IMO, the only three Marvel properties that absolutely need explicit violence are Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider. Iron Fist comics have never relied on blood to tell a story and if they did, it would come across as gratuitous.

What reaction were you looking for though? I just shrugged and thought to myself "Gods, no."

I did like quite a few of your other suggestions, though.

lol, I figure that Garth Ennis' Punisher Max is the definitive take on the character. Frank's world is one full of sex slaves, snuff films, hitmen, and underground bare-knuckled fights to the death. I want the guy who pioneered eye-socket sex to be the one calling the shots since he knows how to make something that's not only ultra-violent but incredibly bleak as well since Frank is only likable when the world around him is completely devoid of humanity and only barbarism remains.

He said in the article that it doesn't need to be bloody or "stabby". He said that the punches and fights just have to feel real, and Winter Soldier was more a step in the right direction (not saying it's similar, just saying it's a step in that direction) in that department.

He said in the article that it doesn't need to be bloody or "stabby". He said that the punches and fights just have to feel real, and Winter Soldier was more a step in the right direction (not saying it's similar, just saying it's a step in that direction) in that department.

He did say that it would have to be rated R. Plus, that was before the TV show was announced. I also am not sure how he'd work as a showrunner. His films seem to lack in terms of plot. Aaron Shoenke on the other hand, runs a webseries with next to no budget that still looks like it has high production values.

Gareth Evans is also a visually striking director. As showrunner, he wouldn't be behind the camera. Hence why I mentioned him doing Blade in the OP. He'd be working with somebody else's script and be able to do an R-rated film.

Luke Cage - Shawn Ryan

He did say that it would have to be rated R. Plus, that was before the TV show was announced. I also am not sure how he'd work as a showrunner. His films seem to lack in terms of plot. Aaron Shoenke on the other hand, runs a webseries with next to no budget that still looks like it has high production values.

Gareth Evans is also a visually striking director. As showrunner, he wouldn't be behind the camera. Hence why I mentioned him doing Blade in the OP. He'd be working with somebody else's script and be able to do an R-rated film.

Nice thing with Netflix is they don't care in the slightest what you do, so ratings won't matter. They could go as far as they'd like.

I get what he's saying though, you have to feel every impact kinda fight scenes which in some cases might be unsettling.

He wouldn't have to be show runner, but if he indeed really likes the character then maybe they could get him to direct a couple episodes.

And while we're talking about Iron Fist, how about Scott Adkins as Taskmaster?

For which property? At this point, it's throwing out names instead of looking at an IP and wondering who should direct. I'm pretty sure that's not how this works.

Inhumans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"