Phase 3 Release Schedule Finalized

I wouldn't mind Avengers 3 being split mainly because it would give us the chance to see more Thanos. I also would love to see a Thanos Quest movie for Phase 3.

I think killing off half the Avengers would do a decent job with that as well, but to each his own. I just think the evidence suggests a 2018 release date for A3 and I think that's sufficient to tell the story effectively.

If half the Avengers are killed in the early stages of the film, it's not as good because:

It only shows the Avengers effected, rather than everything there is.

It relies too heavily on Cap and Iron Man (because they would be the survivors). It makes the other Avengers superfluous. The reason Thanos will even attack Earth is because he was told challenging the Avengers will "court Death", he is going to want them around.

If half the Avengers are killed in the early stages of the film, it's not as good because:

It only shows the Avengers effected, rather than everything there is.

It relies too heavily on Cap and Iron Man (because they would be the survivors). It makes the other Avengers superfluous. The reason Thanos will even attack Earth is because he was told challenging the Avengers will "court Death", he is going to want them around.

Not necessarily. Killing Tony Stark in the first of the two films might be a creative solution to the RDJ contract problem, while being able to mine some serious pathos from the death of the character people love the most. Captain America is also the kind of character whose heroic sacrifice would land really strongly. So assuming any major characters are on the chopping block at all, I don't think these two are safe by any means.

I'm on about the narrative of Avengers 3. Assuming it follows the Infinity Gauntlet story, Thanos will wipe out half the universe, and the poster intimated killing half the Avengers. But I don't think Avengers 3 will revolve around Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Hulk when Captain America, Iron Man and Thor will be recast in the next film.

If Avengers hits on May 4th 2018 I'd be real disappointed. They have an opportunity to really expand their universe before the big face off with Thanos, and to not take it would be a mistake in my eyes

Plus it gives Joss a break he probably needs

Agreed.

You're all presuming that the next "Avengers"-tagged film will be the Infinity Gauntlet story with Thanos as the big bad and basing the rest of your reasoning around that being taken as a given...

Think about it, We've got all these new characters coming into the MCU who are likely to pop up, albeit briefly, in a Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet movie, and we've also got the likes of the Inhumans who need introducing, plus there's the existing Avengers and GuardiansOfTheGalaxy.

There's no way that following Ant-Man/Captain America 3/Doctor Strange/Thor 3/GuardiansOfTheGalaxy2 we're going to get just one more movie (Nov 2017) and then go straight into the face-off with Thanos.
The newer characters would either seem under-used or unnecessary to the audience depending on how they'd been previously received, and I really don't think we're going to get Inhumans in the same years as Thor 3 and GOTG2 and then the Thanos story the following year, That would all just be too cosmic-heavy, which is why I'm certain the Nov 2017 movie will be something earthbound, most likely Black Panther.

Now there was a rumour a while back that "New Avengers" would be the flagship movie of Phase 4...

...I think that may have been the original plan, but they've brought that movie forward to May 2018 to get that "New" Avengers team (Doctor Strange, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Ant-Man, Wasp and Black Panther?) established prior to the big face-off with Thanos so that they come across as a functioning "team" in the same way the other Avengers and GuardiansOfTheGalaxy are (and by then also Netflix's "Defenders"?)...

...so I'm still leaning towards...

MAY 2018 - AVENGERS 3 - new team movie
MAY 2019 - the WHOLE of the MCU vs THANOS with a title that doesn't make it just about the Avengers

:)

EDIT: In which case, I'd say for the other 3 slots we're looking at Black Panther, Inhumans and one from Captain Marvel/The Incredible Hulk 2 with the other appearing in Phase 4.

Last edited:
Ant-Man
July 17, 2015

Captain America 3
May 6, 2016

Doctor Strange
July 8, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
May 5, 2017

Thor 3/I]
July 28, 2017

Black Panther
November 3, 2017

The Incredible Hulk 2
May 4 2018

Inhumans
July 6, 2018

Ms. Marvel
November 2, 2018

The Avengers 3
May 3, 2019

^^GotG 2 has been confirmed for the July '17 date

^^GotG 2 has been confirmed for the July '17 date

Fixed .......

Ant-Man
July 17, 2015

Captain America 3
May 6, 2016

Doctor Strange
July 8, 2016

Thor 3
May 5, 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
July 28, 2017

Black Panther
November 3, 2017

The Incredible Hulk 2 (....or The Avengers 3 (new roster))
May 4 2018

Inhumans
July 6, 2018

Ms. Marvel
November 2, 2018

The Avengers 3 (....or Marvel's "Infinity War" ...... either way, it'll be the same story in this slot)
May 3, 2019

Last edited:
i hope they do a western at some point to mix it up a bit, kid colt, two gun kid or rawhide kid

I think my favorite thing about Two Gun Kid is the weird coincidence that he's a red-haired lawyer named Matthew who doubles as a superhero.

You're all presuming that the next "Avengers"-tagged film will be the Infinity Gauntlet story with Thanos as the big bad and basing the rest of your reasoning around that being taken as a given...

Think about it, We've got all these new characters coming into the MCU who are likely to pop up, albeit briefly, in a Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet movie, and we've also got the likes of the Inhumans who need introducing, plus there's the existing Avengers and GuardiansOfTheGalaxy.

There's no way that following Ant-Man/Captain America 3/Doctor Strange/Thor 3/GuardiansOfTheGalaxy2 we're going to get just one more movie (Nov 2017) and then go straight into the face-off with Thanos.
The newer characters would either seem under-used or unnecessary to the audience depending on how they'd been previously received, and I really don't think we're going to get Inhumans in the same years as Thor 3 and GOTG2 and then the Thanos story the following year, That would all just be too cosmic-heavy, which is why I'm certain the Nov 2017 movie will be something earthbound, most likely Black Panther.

Now there was a rumour a while back that "New Avengers" would be the flagship movie of Phase 4...

...I think that may have been the original plan, but they've brought that movie forward to May 2018 to get that "New" Avengers team (Doctor Strange, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Ant-Man, Wasp and Black Panther?) established prior to the big face-off with Thanos so that they come across as a functioning "team" in the same way the other Avengers and GuardiansOfTheGalaxy are (and by then also Netflix's "Defenders"?)...

...so I'm still leaning towards...

MAY 2018 - AVENGERS 3 - new team movie
MAY 2019 - the WHOLE of the MCU vs THANOS with a title that doesn't make it just about the Avengers

EDIT: In which case, I'd say for the other 3 slots we're looking at Black Panther, Inhumans and one from Captain Marvel/The Incredible Hulk 2 with the other appearing in Phase 4.

Agree they might want to stretch it out a bit more, but am in two minds. On the one hand it will have been 6 years since Thanos (even longer for the Infinity Gems) was introduced and we might need closure on the story.
On the other hand it's going to be very difficult to follow. Who will be the next big bad (who will probably have to be bigger and badder)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"