Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 4

I don't think he's interesting enough on his own. Maybe in small doses in an ensemble film, but not 2 hours of him. Even Rocket Raccoon and Groot are used in relatively small doses and as part of a larger ensemble.

Marvel has earned the general audience trust to do whatever they wanted. If they made a 2 hour Howard the Duck movie I would watch it. No question.

Marvel has taken risks but not even they would ever gamble on a Howard The Duck film.

Marvel has earned the general audience trust to do whatever they wanted. If they made a 2 hour Howard the Duck movie I would watch it. No question.

Notice how Marvel didn't just do a solo Rocket and Groot film though. They introduced them in an ensemble film and audiences grew to love them. Why would the general audience care about Howard the Duck, most of whom haven't even ever heard of him? Just having a solo HTD film out of the blue would not go down well. Even comic fans usually only tolerate him in small doses.

It might be different for a human character no-one has heard of before, but for an animal? That's a different matter.

And there's plenty of other stuff I want to see before any Howard the Duck film.

I think a Howard the Duck solo could be brilliant and completely out of left field. Get Zdarsky to write it. He's always been one of my favorites. I think a Howard and Squirrel Girl film would excite me nearly as much as anything to be honest. I'm certainly not expecting it though.

Howard the Duck's home planet/dimension should be Earth-MickeyMouse, where Duckburg is.

Wish this whole situation would be resolved already.

Notice how Marvel didn't just do a solo Rocket and Groot film though. They introduced them in an ensemble film and audiences grew to love them. Why would the general audience care about Howard the Duck, most of whom haven't even ever heard of him? Just having a solo HTD film out of the blue would not go down well. Even comic fans usually only tolerate him in small doses.

It might be different for a human character no-one has heard of before, but for an animal? That's a different matter.

And there's plenty of other stuff I want to see before any Howard the Duck film.

I disagree. If Marvel starts playing it 'safe' they are going to grow stale. No one saw guardians coming. No one. They need to take chances if the want to remain fresh.

Last edited:
Well, they are developing Eternals as the next big thing, so that's not exactly a sure thing, on the surface anyway.

I think these more obscure properties have big potential and the unpredictability can be refreshing and keep the studio on their toes. I'd also love to see something like Hit-Monkey get developed. I LOVE that character.

Here's the value of something like FF:

Imagine it's 2019, Hall H. Kevin Feige is wrapping up his presentation.

"Oh, one last thing before I go. In 2022, we're going to do this:"

250px-HowardTheDuck-1.jpg

The crowd would react. They'd be intrigued. It would be something fun to look forward to.

Now imagine instead of that image, he put up this:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjMvODIxL2kwMi9GYW50YXN0aWNfRm91cl9Mb2dvLmpwZw==

The crowd would go absolutely NUTS and that would, just with that simple image, be the highlight of Comic Con.

The board and shareholders wouldn't and shouldn't put a significant dollar value on that difference. Better to let Comcast drag out an 18-month anti-trust investigation and then watch them scramble to make an F4 before the rights lapse.

Well, they are developing Eternals as the next big thing, so that's not exactly a sure thing, on the surface anyway.

I think these more obscure properties have big potential and the unpredictability can be refreshing and keep the studio on their toes. I'd also love to see something like Hit-Monkey get developed. I LOVE that character.

The Eternals would seem like an X-men knock off.

The Eternals would seem like an X-men knock off.

They're very much not. Almost all of them have been alive since before the time of Christ and their powers are very similar to each other. The X-Men start as young teens and all have different powers.

How can it do that though if Iger has already said that they can't split the assets because of some contract between Disney and Fox?

I hope Disney can get Hulk, Namor and the theme park rights as well as Hulu.
They're saying after Disney closes on Fox and Comcast on Sky. Essentially advocating that each side focus on those core assets alone and make deals afterward to clear things up.

It wouldn't be surprising if this is the advice some potential partners are giving Comcast.

The big problem brewing is the adjustment of Sky's valuation, as it will go up due to the bidding war. This makes just about impossible for either company to have both. If Disney wins Fox, they do have to bid on Sky, but they can essentially have it be not much higher than Fox's original bid.

How can it do that though if Iger has already said that they can't split the assets because of some contract between Disney and Fox?

I hope Disney can get Hulk, Namor and the theme park rights as well as Hulu.

Fox wants to sell the unit as a whole - because if they break it up, they may not get as much. So the original agreement prevented Disney from bidding on individual assets.

But there's nothing preventing Disney from calling up Comcast and saying: "If we can close this at $71 Billion, we'll sell you the Sky portion for $X.XX."

They can't tell Comcast to stop bidding, but a deal like that would give Comcast what they want without raising their bid. (and if Disney has to raise their bid, they'd pay more than $71 billion and the deal would be off the table)

And in terms of Hulk etc., as long as they're talking and dealing, why not throw that in?

Last edited:
Fox doesn't own TV rights for Marvel characters. They had to get permission for Legion.

Oh.. thanks. Did not know that. I thought TV and movie rights were always kinda bundled together. Does this mean Perlmutter can be a dick again and use Wolverine in a Netflix show? :p

Nationwide outage for Kabletown due to cut provider fibers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/29/com...ide-are-experiencing-a-service-interrupt.html

Here's an artist's depiction of the alleged perpetrator:
9a2226402db5071f2b4808d1f755cb81.png

Comcast services go down every other day, with or without cut fibers or any excuse at all. They are reliably unreliable. Roberts could better spend some of the billions he's raising to snatch Fox to improve his shoddy cable system and replace the surly jerks he has performing so-called customer service.

Oh.. thanks. Did not know that. I thought TV and movie rights were always kinda bundled together. Does this mean Perlmutter can be a dick again and use Wolverine in a Netflix show? :p

As far as I'm aware, if Marvel wanted to make a live action Spider-Man for TV they could. I'm not 100% on that though because Sony gave up all Spider-Man merchandise rights for exclusive movie rights or exclusive LIVE ACTION rights which would include TV.

Re-reading the earlier parts to this thread was interesting to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"