Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe that they will just eliminate the Inhumans from MCU existence; that's the DC way, not the Marvel way. They can still have Black Bolt and a few selective Inhumans to cameo in other movies and/or TV shows, but their own series will be cancelled. Personally, I wish they can be reborn via a new movie, but with the incoming X-Men and FF, that seems highly unlikely.

Who would complain? Most of us want to see them done right, so I suspect most fans would prefer they reboot.

And casual or non-fans don't really care one way or another.

It's silly to deny fans the opportunity to see great characters done right just because they made some bad decisions on a TV series nobody saw.

I'd like to see them introduced in an FF film, and if they do that, I hope they'll just ignore the series and start fresh.

And that's exactly what we're seeing here. It's just some people in congress jumping on the fact that this is big news that will allow them to get their face on TV talking about something their voters have heard about and may be concerned with.

But that dog and pony show won't affect real policy, and no likely modifications to the deal will affect Marvel getting control of the licenses they actually own back.

It's probably good that people are talking about it now, because that will help get things moving.

And when it gets right down to it, people are going to have to recognize that if the concern is a monopoly, Netflix has a near monopoly now. And the key to this deal is it will help Disney compete with Netflix and provide a lower-cost premium-content service that will put a huge amount of competitive pressure on Netflix and prevent them from ruling the world in 5 years.

And some of the arguments I'm hearing about Disney getting too large of a share of box-office are BS. They're not making those huge BO numbers because they have no competition. They're making those numbers because, in stark contrast to things like Fox and Fant4stic, they're giving consumers a quality product that consumers want.

Warner Brothers has DC and Harry Potter. Universal has Frankenstein, The Mummy etc. Paramount has Mission Impossible. Several studios are currently bidding on James Bond etc. etc. etc.

Disney doesn't have any kind of monopoly on key properties and nobody can prevent anybody else from buying the hot new book or video game rights or simply coming up with a great idea and executing it well.

Disney can take something like Pirates of the Caribbean or Guardians of the Galaxy and make a multi billion dollar franchise out of nothing.

Meanwhile, Warner Brothers can take something like King Arthur and make complete crap.

Anti-trust policy should be about providing a level-playing field, not preventing the better team from winning once they get on that field.

Actually it is. Once one team dominates the market, the playing field is no longer level-able, and it hurts the consumer for more reasons that one can count, even though Disney may be the rightful owner of streaming services and the most well developed IPs, because they bought them, they aren't owed anything, they are neither right nor wrong to be given or denied anything. They're a nameless faceless company. We're getting into the part of history where coprorations' needs are valued over the people, so you won't have to worry about such laws much, or for long, but they definitely are to prevent one team from winning.

Within a few years, the Inhumans TV show will be as irrelevant to the MCU as the 1970's Dr. Strange TV show.

That's a little strong. When Dr. Strange the film came out, no one asked about Peter Hooten, but if they deal with the Inhumans again, people will indeed ask about Anson Mount's series. It was intended to be perceived as being in continuity, and that will never be forgotten by those who derive great value from continuity, even as they also acknowledge it's weakness and tenuous connection.

Or just don't do anything more with them. Ignore them in future stories. Much easier.

Here here. Maybe they can come back to it in Phase 7.

As long as Feige's bringing the FF back from the dead, he may as well bring the Inhumans along with them. Have the "All New, Not Embarassing" Royal Family battling with the MCU First Family in an FF feature film. They could set the thing in the sixties to get separation from the TV disaster.

At the very least, I don't see the MCU sitting on Lockjaw for too long. That dog is gold.

Actually it is. Once one team dominates the market, the playing field is no longer level-able, and it hurts the consumer for more reasons that one can count,

... then this deal is great for the consumer, because you just described Netflix.

There are no real barriers that prevent other studios from making films consumers want, but there are real barriers to launching subscription streaming services to rival Netflix.

Last edited:
... then this deal is great for the consumer, because you just described Netflix.

Not at all. Netflix is a product of growth, not acquisition, and is competing with Hulu as well as premium cable, and that's before Disney's streaming service debuts, which has to pull out all the stops only because Netflix is this great big thing in the market. Disney not winning is why their streaming service will be the best it can be for us. Corporations are programmed to be self serving at all costs. Rooting for them to win or espousing any virtue to them is destructive. We can be happy that we'll see our favorite characters crossover, while also acknowledging that it may result in real world problems later.

As long as Feige's bringing the FF back from the dead, he may as well bring the Inhumans along with them. Have the "All New, Not Embarassing" Royal Family battling with the MCU First Family in an FF feature film. They could set the thing in the sixties to get separation from the TV disaster.

At the very least, I don't see the MCU sitting on Lockjaw for too long. That dog is gold.

That could end up a mess but sounds like a hell of a lot of potential fun right there.

Who would complain? Most of us want to see them done right, so I suspect most fans would prefer they reboot.

And casual or non-fans don't really care one way or another.

It's silly to deny fans the opportunity to see great characters done right just because they made some bad decisions on a TV series nobody saw.

I'd like to see them introduced in an FF film, and if they do that, I hope they'll just ignore the series and start fresh.

Inhumans in a FF movie for me. Screw the series. I didn't watch it anyway and I don't suspect I'm alone. For those that did watch it, get brain wipe from Prof X.

Yeah that dog is the best character in the show, bar none.

He looked good, though he was just there as a prop/teleportation thingy.

He looked good, though he was just there as a prop/teleportation thingy.

There is something weird going on about dogs online. I have seen people going all gaga over the war dog that sometimes deploys on SEAL Team and on a forum concerning that show someone pointed to yet other show's dogs.

Actually it is. Once one team dominates the market, the playing field is no longer level-able, and it hurts the consumer for more reasons that one can count, even though Disney may be the rightful owner of streaming services and the most well developed IPs, because they bought them, they aren't owed anything, they are neither right nor wrong to be given or denied anything. They're a nameless faceless company. We're getting into the part of history where coprorations' needs are valued over the people, so you won't have to worry about such laws much, or for long, but they definitely are to prevent one team from winning.

No, its not. The laws are there to prevent one team from owning the bloody league, its board, and the championship. Disney remaining a content producer and distributor will not mean anything as long as you have conglomerates that control both production, distribution of content as well as the channels. A team being dominant does not affect the consumer in any way at all, at worst it may mean less interest in said sport but that is neither here nor there as its not relevant at all to the Entertainment Industry. Its just a stupid baseless standpoint.

Not at all. Netflix is a product of growth, not acquisition, and is competing with Hulu as well as premium cable, and that's before Disney's streaming service debuts, which has to pull out all the stops only because Netflix is this great big thing in the market. Disney not winning is why their streaming service will be the best it can be for us. Corporations are programmed to be self serving at all costs. Rooting for them to win or espousing any virtue to them is destructive. We can be happy that we'll see our favorite characters crossover, while also acknowledging that it may result in real world problems later.

There is not an audience that says I will watch Disney movies and then decide because I watched Disney movies, I will not watch Sony movies. If a movie is good, people go and see it, end of. I really have not heard of any person deciding at the start of the year that he/she is only gonna watch X number of movies that year and therefore, one company wins and one loses. At a 50,000 feet view, yes, there is only so many dollars people put in for watching movies, but that figure can be as flexible as they want it to be if the quality of the entertainment dictates that.

I am honestly not sure what point you are trying to make here, other than, "Disney doing well is bad for the planet."

Yeah that dog is the best character in the show, bar none.

I thought Maximus is terrific, but then again I'm a GOT fan and I like Iwan Rheon in this villain role, and I wish he'd be kept even if the rest of the series is forgotten.

In retrospect, I think Disney and Fox should've left the merger announcement until after Christmas and New Year. Now we have nothing to speculate over during the holiday season like we did with the Marvel/Sony Spider-Man deal two years ago. It's all already in the bag.

Interesting. Other than the fact that they officially entered into the agreement on Dec. 13, is there any other information of value there for this thread/discussion? I couldn't find much....

Disney will keep any cash generated by the assets it is purchasing from signing until closing. I'm assuming they will go into an escrow account and then go to Disney after closing.

I am also assuming signing was on December 13th, 2017, so everything on the assets it is acquiring from that date henceforth will go to Disney.

I thought Maximus is terrific, but then again I'm a GOT fan and I like Iwan Rheon in this villain role, and I wish he'd be kept even if the rest of the series is forgotten.

I felt that Maximus was decent. His character felt like the hero of the story, considering he wants to rid the caste system. Who knows, Maybe Marvel will cast Rheon in something better than this.

Disney will keep any cash generated by the assets it is purchasing from signing until closing. I'm assuming they will go into an escrow account and then go to Disney after closing.

I am also assuming signing was on December 13th, 2017, so everything on the assets it is acquiring from that date henceforth will go to Disney.

So I can witness in theaters the inevitable dumpster fire that is Dark Phoenix (and likely New Mutants, too) without worrying about Fox benefiting, even if only temporarily, then?

I really hope that at some point they disclose that one of the stipulations of the agreement is that Marvel Studios/Disney may use its characters (i.e., X-Men and Fantastic Four) in the interim, but that seems not to be the case.

In retrospect, I think Disney and Fox should've left the merger announcement until after Christmas and New Year. Now we have nothing to speculate over during the holiday season like we did with the Marvel/Sony Spider-Man deal two years ago. It's all already in the bag.

Ever since Disney bought Marvel in 2009, I've been checking in here, pretty much every day, hoping to find a glimmer of a hope that Disney/Marvel could somehow get the FF rights.

And now that it's actually happened, I don't know what to do with myself. :funny:

So I can witness in theaters the inevitable dumpster fire that is Dark Phoenix (and likely New Mutants, too) without worrying about Fox benefiting, even if only temporarily, then?

I really hope that at some point they disclose that one of the stipulations of the agreement is that Marvel Studios/Disney may use its characters (i.e., X-Men and Fantastic Four) in the interim, but that seems not to be the case.

It would be great if it was possible to get X-Men/F4 immediately. But I don't know if such a thing is doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"