Disney Movie Appreciation Thread - Part 1

Iw1kx7S.jpg

Is this not real?

No because it was never part of that line.

Just looked it up, looks like Disney is finally bringing adding it to their collections list. I can only assume Robin Williams passing possibly made them think to add it to the Diamond Collection since it hasnt been part of any of the other previous line ups.

Last edited:

Just looked it up, looks like Disney is finally bringing adding it to their collections list. I can only assume Robin Williams passing possibly made them think to add it to the Diamond Collection since it hasnt been part of any of the other previous line ups.

Didn't it have a Platinum Edition?

I would imagine they'd want to keep a respectful distance from that as well, so they don't look like they're just trying to cash in on that.

I thought we'd see it earlier this year, when the stage version was opening up on Broadway. But the stage version has so many changes from the movie that I guess maybe they wanted it to stand on its own?

I would imagine they'd want to keep a respectful distance from that as well, so they don't look like they're just trying to cash in on that.

I thought we'd see it earlier this year, when the stage version was opening up on Broadway. But the stage version has so many changes from the movie that I guess maybe they wanted it to stand on its own?

I believe I remember reading that early copies of some Disney movie came with a slip saying that it'd be coming out in October 2013, but obviously that didn't happen for whatever reason. And since they like to keep the ones with princesses in the October spot it seems and with Maleficent coming out, it's obvious why they'd do Sleeping Beauty's Diamond Edition this year (as, though it had a Blu-ray, the Blu-ray is a Platinum Edition).

what are the differences?

For those who were waiting, Aladdin's coming out this fall on blu-ray as confirmed via a trailer with the 101 Dalmatians Diamond Edition.

attachment.php

[YT]_ltViW_YkOo[/YT]

Last edited:
I'm loving all these live action remakes at the moment especially Cinderella. I would adore more films like that.

However, I would love disney to put a bit more effort into diversifying their casts. I know a lot of the fairy tales that have been adapted tend to be euro centric but it wouldn't hurt to modernise them (after all, they tend to modernise them in other ways anyway).

Maybe godfrey gao as prince Eric?

Does he act? I only know him as a model.

But yeah, I'm all for a little diversity being injected into these fairytale worlds. I felt like Cinderella was a nice baby step in that direction, not only with a few minor supporting characters of different ethnicities, but background players, too. It was nice to see a kingdom that wasn't milky white for once. A baby step, as I said, but a step nonetheless. Next step will hopefully be a proper lead role or two.

Also, on a slightly different note, while I have nothing to back this up, I'm convinced Branagh snuck a gay or bi character in there with the princess Kit was originally promised to. On my 2nd viewing of the film, it kind of stood out to me the way she said, "who is she?" and then stared at Cinderella with hearts in her eyes for the next several minutes while they danced (I mean, she never looked at the prince that way, lol). It was barely anything and probably the most they could even get away with in such a traditional telling of a classic Disney film, but I did get the impression it was probably a deliberate choice.

Gao played Magnus Bane in the Mortal Instruments

i enjoyed the new Cinderella movie a lot. noticed two Game of Throners in there too

Gao played Magnus Bane in the Mortal Instruments
Huh. Well I never saw that and probably never will, but if he's a decent actor I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him as a Disney Prince. :D

i enjoyed the new Cinderella movie a lot. noticed two Game of Throners in there too
Yep, two Downton Abbey-ers, too. The casting director certainly likes her Brit TV stars, lol.

I suspect that Disney is doing all the live-action remakes because they feel that kids don't want to watch 2D cartoons anymore. They only want to watch live action or computer animated films. So, Disney thinks that unless they redo their animated films in live action, today's kids won't ever see them and they'll lose that connection to the new generation coming up.

Swiss Family Robinson anniversary edition (i wanna say 55th?) will be coming out on blu ray

I suspect that Disney is doing all the live-action remakes because they feel that kids don't want to watch 2D cartoons anymore. They only want to watch live action or computer animated films. So, Disney thinks that unless they redo their animated films in live action, today's kids won't ever see them and they'll lose that connection to the new generation coming up.

I don't know, it's not like they can remake 2d films as 2d films and this is a good way of freshening them up while maximising profits so I don't think disney has turned it's back completely on animation.

Plus as we know kids today still loved a good animated film whether it's animated like frozen or toy story or if it's like adventure time

But yeah, I'm all for a little diversity being injected into these fairytale worlds. I felt like Cinderella was a nice baby step in that direction, not only with a few minor supporting characters of different ethnicities, but background players, too. It was nice to see a kingdom that wasn't milky white for once. A baby step, as I said, but a step nonetheless. Next step will hopefully be a proper lead role or two.

Also, on a slightly different note, while I have nothing to back this up, I'm convinced Branagh snuck a gay or bi character in there with the princess Kit was originally promised to. On my 2nd viewing of the film, it kind of stood out to me the way she said, "who is she?" and then stared at Cinderella with hearts in her eyes for the next several minutes while they danced (I mean, she never looked at the prince that way, lol). It was barely anything and probably the most they could even get away with in such a traditional telling of a classic Disney film, but I did get the impression it was probably a deliberate choice.

It's funny you should mention a lesbian character because like you I think Branagh chucked in one.

I actually thought one of the stepsisters might be gay. Not sure why, I think maybe in the way he evil stepmother says they don't mind sleeping in the same room as other women or just a look every now and then.

I would love to know what Branagh will say in a couple of decades time about lgbtiq representation

Hmm interesting. I can't say I picked up on any of that if it was the intent. Though much better representation would be great and much better, hopefully that was the intent so there's at least something.

It's funny you should mention a lesbian character because like you I think Branagh chucked in one.

I actually thought one of the stepsisters might be gay. Not sure why, I think maybe in the way he evil stepmother says they don't mind sleeping in the same room as other women or just a look every now and then.

I would love to know what Branagh will say in a couple of decades time about lgbtiq representation
Yeah, I'd love to see someone question him about these characters. That Princess Chelina of Zaragosa, though - totally polite-but-blah about the prince, then as soon Cinderella walks in: Heart. Eyes. She wasn't just staring like everyone else, she was straight-up transfixed, and just the tone with which she said, "Who is she," was like, "Prince who? I MUST KNOW THIS GIRL." I'm convinced. Convinced! :D

i didn't pick that up at all lol
i just figured they used her, since she was the one they were trying to arrange the marriage with to convey how much cinderella enthralled everyone

but i can totally see where you pick that up

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11049516_804424819647993_787683730094390691_n.png?oh=cdecda9833ef0ab5087ea68d058885e1&oe=5570EF95

The upcoming releases are on here, as has been posted in multiple relevant threads already. On top of that, there are future home video releases. As expected, Pinocchio will get a Diamond Edition in Spring 2016. But more interestingly, what is presumably the new line title is on here: Ultra Collection. The Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Ultra Collection is coming Fall 2016.

Well they are doing a live-action Mulan movie (finally). So unless Disney wants to be monumentally stupid and whitewash it, there should be a mostly Asian cast (the only major character who might be played by a non-Asian would be Mushu). Also you'd be surprised how many people are making the case for Elsa being a lesbian in Frozen 2.

what is presumably the new line title is on here: Ultra Collection. The Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Ultra Collection is coming Fall 2016.

Oh no...*looks at wallet*

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"