No Way Home "Down Came The Goblin, and Took The Spider Out" - Willem Dafoe Needs His Thread Too

Saw NWH again yesterday, and I can safely say now that Green Goblin is my favorite MCU villain.

FG3tiOFVgAcHgf3

Green Goblin was great, everyone else get MCU treatment and were more like a punchlines for jokes than actual threat.

And Tobey's Spider-man is technically the first MCU hero. And Raimi's Spider-Man 1 is technically the first MCU movie.

#Feelsgoodman
How about MCM (Marvel Cinematic Multiverse)?

Anyway, he was great in this movie. My wife, who has never seen the Raimi trilogy, was absolutely impressed. The way his personality changes, the cruelty he has. He's someone you love to hate while simultaneously being capable of feeling immense pity for.

Neat concept, it would've been cooler if were able to actually see it in the film.

FHC_nCNXMAIaAiz
God I hate the goggles. People going on about not wanting to obscure Dafoe's incredibly expressive features, and then going onto obscure the single most expressive feature of a person's face rofl.

God I hate the goggles. People going on about not wanting to obscure Dafoe's incredibly expressive features, and then going onto obscure the single most expressive feature of a person's face rofl.
I mean he only wore them for like 1 scene. When he started digging into Peter they were off

I mean he only wore them for like 1 scene. When he started digging into Peter they were off
I know, I'm just talking about the idea in of itself, not how they were applied in this specific instance lol.

Norman is cured > gets sent back to his home universe > learns his son is dead > blames Spider-Man > Becomes Green Goblin again.
I don't think it works like that according to the MCU branches rule:

He's cured- returns to an alternate version of raimiverse-redeems himself and earns Peter's trust- Harry never becomes Goblin nor dies. Ock and Connors basically get the same fate as their respective movies, while Electro stops fighting Spidey and Flint returns to her (teenager?) daughter

BTW they were really smart to ditch Norman's helmet right off the bat. Defoe is the only actor who can play Goblin without the need of the Classic Mask.

Last edited:
One of my favorite things that Dafoe did that I haven't seen many talk about was when Tom's Peter introduced him as "Mr. Osborn" to MJ and Ned, Norman who was the good gentle Osborn, looked genuinely annoyed and corrected him with "Dr. Osborn". Was just a great little characterization touch to show that even Norman gets anal about proper niceties like titles.

Neat concept, it would've been cooler if were able to actually see it in the film.

FHC_nCNXMAIaAiz

Love this design. Agreed that it would have been great to see this a bit clearer on screen.

I was really hoping for some glider sequences too, but we didn’t get that unfortunately. He’s almost immediately knocked off, right?

I’d definitely say that Norman was the best of the plucked villains. I do think that the worst part of him was…once again his outfit. It would have been something if after smashing the Power Ranger helmet he took the top half with him and altered it a bit.

So there was one part that slightly confused me.

In the apartment when Holland's spider sense goes off, he webs Norman's hand. Was he reaching for a weapon and that's why his spider sense went off? Or did Peter sense the Goblin persona coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"