No Way Home "Down Came The Goblin, and Took The Spider Out" - Willem Dafoe Needs His Thread Too

Tobey's Peter did have his one-liners. All the spider-men have their own take on the quips. Personally I've rarely found any of the spider-man quips across various films, tv and other media actually funny. I always got the impression they were dad jokes at best and there to annoy villains and other heroes alike.

ofvvm88fkeo01.jpg

tenor.gif

That's if there's going to be an MCU Norman. I am skeptical that there will be because Sony may want to use Norman as the big bad for their universe and only limit Norman in the MCU to Spider-Man movies.
This is all speculation on my end, but I think Sony and Disney sharing Norman Osborn may have been part of the renegotiation deal in 2019 to keep Spider-Man in the MCU. With this being the case,

*They could retcon the buyer from Ant-Man 2 as Norman Osborn (because otherwise I don't see them picking up this plot thread), and
*Sharon Carter's contact at the end of Falcon could be retconned as Norman Osborn, if it isn't someone significant already

As for how the 2000s Goblin would be brought into the multiverse, I think it could have something to do with how Harry kept seeing visions of his father in the mirror in the second and third films. That seemed like more than just a hallucination, it was a full on consciousness of the deceased Goblin talking to his living son

Last edited:
That´s a great moment in the comics! Wouldn´t work with Tobey´s Spider-man really. Being funny wasn´t really a part of his character.
Some of the quips he delivered in the games are funny.

Tobey's Peter did have his one-liners. All the spider-men have their own take on the quips. Personally I've rarely found any of the spider-man quips across various films, tv and other media actually funny. I always got the impression they were dad jokes at best and there to annoy villains and other heroes alike.
I find these jokes funny

Neversoft Game:
Spidey: "RHINO'S BURGERS COMING UP"

Movie 1:
Goblin: "You and I, WE'RE BROTHERS"
Spider-Man: "Brothers huh? I'm gonna tell mom"

Marvel Ultimate Alliance:
Ok, the lily pad joke isn't funny, but him ticking Scorpion and Lizard with it is a funny scene.

Spectacular animated
"Two moms and still ill behaved?"
"I've got the thing on the thing, what do I win?"

YIKES. Usually I have quite the encyclopedic mind with Spider-Man stuff, but currently I can't think of enough funny quotes and do find his comments make the situation funny, but I don't think most of them are funny.

the rumor I've been hearing is that he is the MAIN villain of NWH. If that's true then it's one hell of a secret that they're keeping under wraps.

There is also this recent news about Tobey Maquire's next movie being Babylon after a 7 year hiatus...which kinda makes me doubt his inclusion in the movie :(

the rumor I've been hearing is that he is the MAIN villain of NWH. If that's true then it's one hell of a secret that they're keeping under wraps.

There is also this recent news about Tobey Maquire's next movie being Babylon after a 7 year hiatus...which kinda makes me doubt his inclusion in the movie :(
Come now, we all know his real return to acting was being in this movie. :cwink:

Come now, we all know his real return to acting was being in this movie. :cwink:
I wanna believe that, but if the official announcement is that his return to the Hollywood big screen is Babylon. If it turns out that they're wrong and his real return is NWH, then they'd have to print a retraction.

I wanna believe that, but if the official announcement is that his return to the Hollywood big screen is Babylon. If it turns out that they're wrong and his real return is NWH, then they'd have to print a retraction.
Some of the articles out there preface it all with addressing the Spidey rumors, saying it'd be his 2nd role after returning to acting if true- so some are covering their bases.

I don't think that's retraction worthy, because at the time of releasing the article, it is technically true. Tobey is officially confirmed for Babylon and not for anything else.

I don't think that's retraction worthy, because at the time of releasing the article, it is technically true. Tobey is officially confirmed for Babylon and not for anything else.
I was half joking (referencing that scene in SM3) but if Tobey is in NWH then it is official, it's just under wraps. You know what I mean?

I was thinking about this the other day. What I would ideally do is have the mask more closely resemble DaDafoe's own face, but with exaggerated features. They could use the make-up techniques for the Red Skull mask in Captain America so they can more closely capture Willem's performance.

I'd rather not see them use cgi as it would be more of an expense for something that would look questionable in quality.

I was thinking about this the other day. What I would ideally do is have the mask more closely resemble DaDafoe's own face, but with exaggerated features. They could use the make-up techniques for the Red Skull mask in Captain America so they can more closely capture Willem's performance.

I'd rather not see them use cgi as it would be more of an expense for something that would look questionable in quality.

Yep. You can even better see Dafoe in this one.
spider-man-3-green-goblin.jpg

I think it's cool if we do something more comic accurate, but how do people feel about the original costume?

I'm of the opinion that I'm not looking for 1 to 1, but ideally an adaptation. There are better depictions of the costume in the comic itself with more modern takes. I still think the sock hat has to go. Maybe get rid of the tail so it's more of a cap or replace it with a hood or helmet.

Honestly, I thought just seeing Dafoe's eyes when the yellow lids retracted, was, for him, more than enough of his own face to convey his acting. In fact, I'd almost argue it made his GG more sinister, having the majority of his face covered, and only sometimes seeing his crazy eyes and mouth.

I like the GG looks up there ^ , but I honestly / personally don't need to see Dafoe's whole face like that for him to be a great Goblin

Also, I wonder if he'll get pulled out right before the glider impales him .... Spidey backflips outa the way, then right before impact GG disappears (is plucked out), the glider hits the wall, and Tobey's Spidey is looking around like Wtf?

Also, I wonder if he'll get pulled out right before the glider impales him .... Spidey backflips outa the way, then right before impact GG disappears (is plucked out), the glider hits the wall, and Tobey's Spidey is looking around like Wtf?
this would then mean that Doc Ock & Goblin would appear from two separate branch universes of that main universe, since the canon of that universe is Goblin dying there

That would just be nonsense. I could see pulling Ock out at the moment he drowns, but why Goblin? It just seems like the simpler and more organic thing to do would be to keep the Raimi film villains one continuity and explain that Goblin revived and was then later pulled out of the Raimi-verse.

That would just be nonsense. I could see pulling Ock out at the moment he drowns, but why Goblin? It just seems like the simpler and more organic thing to do would be to keep the Raimi film villains one continuity and explain that Goblin revived and was then later pulled out of the Raimi-verse.
yeah, this is definitely the best way to go. The main MCU already has some branched alternate universes, I don't want the narrative to also add alternate universes of other alternate universes. The original alternate universe (2000s universe) mixing in with the main MCU is enough of a multiverse shenanigan.

"The night your father died... I cleaned his wounds. The blades that pierced his body... came from his glider. There's no question, your father died by his own hand. But then like some weird portal happened, and he disappeared, and I *think* he came back to life or something and maybe cackled or something and... Master Osborn. Harry. Brother. Broski. How could I have explained this to you? You would never have believed me, sir."

-Bernard Houseman, Spider-Man 3 (2007 [2021])

Whether he gets plucked out right before the glider kills him or he gets revived later and then plucked out, isn't the result still the same? Either way, he's getting removed from the Raimi timeline. The second option seems like it'd need a lot more explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"