• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Flashpoint - Part 1

:dry:. I was just saying that even if people die in Flashpoint it is the same situation as in the Millerverse where everything goes to crap. People die in FP to show the failures of heroes and it is the same in the Millerverse.

Pretty sure it isn't to show the failures of heroes because it's not only heroes dieing in Flashpoint.

It's gore for the sake of gore. That's all.

I'd like to think this is dc getting all the unnecessary gore out of their system, but I'd just be kidding myself. :o

They think that that's what 18 - 34 year olds want. If sales are any indication, maybe they're right. Eh.

It's just gore because they can have it IMO. Because this is not the real DCU. Come Flashpoint #5 we are to see how this all changes to the DCnU.

And yet, in the regular DCU, you got kids eaten by alligator men and demon dogs, on panel.

Not much difference really. They're not doing it because they can. They're doing this because it's what they've been doing for the past 10, hell 20 or so years. This is just one more example, and probably wont be the last.

Sorry, I was talking mainly about they killing all these heroes and villains in Flashpoint. Not civilians.

Are you referring to his death in 52? Because that doesn't reflect the DCnU obviously because that is pre-Flashpoint. Or are you saying that in the relaunch he is shown to die again in some panel preview?

Because my previous post meant that any hero or villain killed in Flashpoint is what I was referring to. That like because they die in Flashpoint it doesn't mean they are dead in the DCnU. Hence how any death (hero or villain) in Flashpoint shouldn't actually bug you because it won't reflect the DCnU.

All I'm saying is expect more of the same in the new continuity.

I'd agree nubs, seeing gore in DC isn't a shocker. Ecspecially one made by johns.

By the same token Frank Miller's DKR is terrible because he killed Jason Todd, what kind of sick man enjoys writing the death of a child? It's not my idea of fun.

His death was mentioned in DKR, and I don't think an age was given in that book. Jason Todd was shown blown up and crowbarred in Jim Starlin's Death in the Family.

It's gore for the sake of gore. That's all.

I'd like to think this is dc getting all the unnecessary gore out of their system, but I'd just be kidding myself. :o

They think that that's what 18 - 34 year olds want. If sales are any indication, maybe they're right. Eh.

Everyone knew this was going to happen in Flashpoint. You don't have Geoff Johns writing a bunch of one-off throwaway characters and not get a body count.

I think I originally predicted a death per every 15 panels.

Flashpoint #4 preview!

Captain Thunder! Ya finally! Did you guys know he was originally suppose to be named that but for some weird copyright reason he couldn't use that name? I still wonder whats the big purpose behind Element Woman outside of her receiving promotion alongside Cyborg.

That's that b***h that begged Death to kill her in Sandman.

I really liked that story, it was simple and effective.

Just read Project Superman. Very good story!

But something still does not make sense..... Sure....I can see how Reverse Flash altered things on earth that caused a domino effect.....

But Kal's ship still should have crashed in Smallville. Once it landed there, he could do whatever he wanted with the baby Kal. But there is no reason it should have crashed in Metropolis.

And not Central City, Bangkok ????

Just seems contrived....forced.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly Thawne changed in order to cause some of these things, like the location of Kal-El's ship crash-landing, as well as Abin Sur not dying. One theory I've seen put forth is that Thawne somehow affected the Earth's rotation, putting it ahead or behind of where it should have been at some point in time. So Kal-El's ship crashed in Metropolis, and Abin Sur's someplace... well, softer, I suppose.

Whether that's what will actually be the case or not, who knows? But I do hope that whatever it is, it does answer some of these questions, as Thawne simply having killed Jay Garrick or something in that vein wouldn't really seem to account for some of the cosmic changes that have occurred, nor do I really care for the idea of Thawne supposedly having gone around and changed certain things on a case-by-case basis.

As for this week's issues, I really, really enjoyed World of Flahpoint. I wasn't going to pick up any of the tie-ins after last week, but I'm glad I stuck with this one through to the end, because it pleasantly surprised me, not once, but twice. I rolled my eyes at the two moments preceding those instances of surprise, too, but wouldn't you know, Ogle actually managed to make me smile in the end through the use of his red herrings.

And Flashpoint #4: meh. I thought it was the weakest installment of the core title, which I had been otherwise enjoying up to this point. I felt the Captain Thunder/Wonder Woman "fight" was way too brief, and, indeed, the issue as a whole felt rushed; as if Johns is now forced to sprint towards the proverbial finish line in order to wrap everything up in one more issue. I'm not at all surprised, however; I feel that Johns' events as a whole start out quite strong, slowly lose their focus towards the middle, and end with a whimper rather than a bang. Flashpoint seems to be following that same pattern, judging from this issue, anyway.

We'll see, though.

Oh, and of course
Billy got killed in front of his crying, pleading sister.
Wonderful. And in spite of all the other children they've killed, I'm sure this single death will somehow humanize (Atlantize? Amazonize?) Aquaman and Wonder Woman once again, forcing them to realize what monsters they've become.:whatever:

To end on a positive note, though: I really liked Element Woman. Not that I plan on getting it, but I imagine her naive charm could be a nice addition to the new Justice League book. Supposing her personality carries over from Flashpoint, that is.

You know, I wonder whats Death's take on all this reboot boos**t? Somebody should do a comic just on the Endless' reaction to all the various universal shakeups. Destiny should be pissed.

Is the story of Barry and Reverse Flash shown in Flashpoint the same as the canon one? You know, RF being responsible for every tragedy in Barry's life, making him miserable whenever he tried to rise up?

Cause that's just so miserable, i'd even argue that its more miserable than anything i've read in Batman comics. Cant they understand that not every book needs to be bat-depressing and serious?

Not that Wally's book was much brighter.... but... Wally where art thou? I hope when they reintroduce him in the new DCU he's more like his JLU and Young Justice self.

How is that a spoiler? We KNOW that Bruce died instead of them.

It's just like I was having a convo with some dude all butt hurt over a new commercial "Spoiling" Cap ending up in the modern day.

How the f**k is that spoiling? WE KNOW he's supposed to end up in the present. :o

Everyone who isn't a huge nerd who reads nerd-comics has no earthly idea that Cap is supposed to do that.

:dry:. I was just saying that even if people die in Flashpoint it is the same situation as in the Millerverse where everything goes to crap. People die in FP to show the failures of heroes and it is the same in the Millerverse.

It's also the same as every other Geoff Johns event since Geoff Johns events are always about the heroes failing and being idiots, right up to the HIT IT MORE HARDER ending that Johns tacks on because he's still obligated to have the heroes 'win'.

Is the story of Barry and Reverse Flash shown in Flashpoint the same as the canon one? You know, RF being responsible for every tragedy in Barry's life, making him miserable whenever he tried to rise up?

I don't think so, but we probably won't know for sure until Flashpoint concludes. The only thing that Johns immediately transitioned over when he took on The Flash was that Barry's mother was murdered and his father set up for the crime. All that other stuff, though? I think that currently only applies to the Flashpoint universe, but I could easily be mistaken; I don't really follow The Flash.

It was canon as of Flash: Rebirth.

This Issue was ok, I enjoyed it but I was sad to see certain characters go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"