Football (Soccer)

To kick off replying to the last post in the old thread.

Big win for Newcastle opening day, off to a flyer, Isaak really is a player and Barnes looks like he will fit in nicely to this side as well.

Sobering day for Luton though and not the start Everton wanted either. Arsenal managed to hold onto their win even though Forest gave them a scare at the end of the game.

Looking forward to Chelsea v Liverpool tomorrow really should be a good one that.
Couldn't have asked for much more from the season opener against a team I was quite nervous about. Not that the first game can tell you a whole lot but still nice to get the full 3 points against them and kick off with a goal difference advantage with Tonali and Barnes having great debuts - they look like they've been here for years! Gordon also feels like a new signing, that Euros tournament really revitalised and inspired him.

I love Isak! Such a calm and chilled person who also has the unpredictability of an Asprilla with more end product. I think he is going to have a great season if he can avoid injury and could go on to become one of the league's best attackers. Also very entertaining to watch in the absence of ASM. :csad:

Barnes I was confident would fit very easily into our system. I thought Tonali might take a bit of time bedding in but he looked super-motivated and gelled very well with everyone. I love the potential of our midfield 3 of Guimaraes, Joelinton and Tonali now. So much fight in there, proper intensity and all of them can attack and defend and cover each other.

Luton went for it (the romantic option) and got found out. Unfortunately they're not good enough to mix it with teams like Brighton just yet. Hopefully they can get some points on the board soon.

Yeah, as above, first games can only tell you so much but it's nice to see who puts down at the early marker between 2 teams that might be rivalling each other over the season, as with us and Villa.

"Football (Soccer)" as a thread title?? nearly spat out my tea and crumpets at that, the King of England will be informed of this crime against humanity, consider me morally outraged. :o

Some classic football video game art to start the new season off...

Kick-Off-2.jpg

Sensible_World_of_Soccer_cover_art.png

latest

51EFK6S0EAL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

To kick off replying to the last post in the old thread.

Couldn't have asked for much more from the season opener against a team I was quite nervous about. Not that the first game can tell you a whole lot but still nice to get the full 3 points against them and kick off with a goal difference advantage with Tonali and Barnes having great debuts - they look like they've been here for years! Gordon also feels like a new signing, that Euros tournament really revitalised and inspired him.

I love Isak! Such a calm and chilled person who also has the unpredictability of an Asprilla with more end product. I think he is going to have a great season if he can avoid injury and could go on to become one of the league's best attackers. Also very entertaining to watch in the absence of ASM. :csad:

Barnes I was confident would fit very easily into our system. I thought Tonali might take a bit of time bedding in but he looked super-motivated and gelled very well with everyone. I love the potential of our midfield 3 of Guimaraes, Joelinton and Tonali now. So much fight in there, proper intensity and all of them can attack and defend and cover each other.

Luton went for it (the romantic option) and got found out. Unfortunately they're not good enough to mix it with teams like Brighton just yet. Hopefully they can get some points on the board soon.

Yeah, as above, first games can only tell you so much but it's nice to see who puts down at the early marker between 2 teams that might be rivalling each other over the season, as with us and Villa.

Yeah a positive start is also a nice way to open the season and your not waiting for your first win long so it doesnt become a "thing" of not winning yet. I expected a closer game but Newcastle really do look formidable with a lot of attacking, quick options and a midfield which has a nice blend of toughness as well as creativity.

Isak is quickly becoming one of the best players in the league, he doesnt panic in front of goal when he gets his chances but also has that speed and skill to beat a man. He might not catch Haaland for goals but with Kane gone we might be able to really bang them in this season and get high up the goalscorers list. He will be vital for you in the CL in going as far as you can.

Luton looked very neive yesterday, some of their defending was comical at times and they are going to have to improve in that area to stand any chance otherwise going to be a tough season for them but thats probably not a surprise to anyone or them.

Kane makes Bayern debut in 3-0 Super Cup defeat

Not a fun start for Kane for Bayern with a 3-0 Super Cup defeat and just 3 touches as sub.

I've read a lot of Bayern fans who are already fed up with Tuchel. Hard to blame them considering most probably weren't that against Nagelsmann and they sacked him for Tuchel and they bottled CL, the german cup and now this. Almost the league. Winning the league should probably be attributed more to Dortmund bottling it in their last game rather than Bayern winning it.

They'll still probably win the league because they're Bayern but they don't feel like a strong contender for CL right now.

"Football (Soccer)" as a thread title?? nearly spat out my tea and crumpets at that, the King of England will be informed of this crime against humanity, consider me morally outraged. :o

Kick-Off-2.jpg

latest

Haha, quite justified. Unfortunately probably needed on a US-centric forum in case of any heathens who don’t know what real football is. :D

Absolutely top drawer football games up there. I loved Sensible Soccer and Kick Off 2 probably had my most hours played of any football game. Pro Evo also was the revolution that finally pushed FIFA to sort themselves out. Legendary box art for the top 2. :cool:

Romero puts Spurs 1 up away to Brentford.

Oh damn, looked a way a few minutes and it’s now 2-1 to Brentford. Maddison’s been involved a fair bit but Son and Richarlison not so much.

2-2 at halftime. Very cheap penalty for Brentford but overall a fun 45 minutes with chances for both teams.

2-2 at halftime. Very cheap penalty for Brentford but overall a fun 45 minutes with chances for both teams.
Yeah better game than I was expecting. Still can be won by either team.

Finishes 2-2. Good result for us. I consider Spurs, Villa and Brighton the main teams that could stop us from getting at least Europa League/top 6 (maybe West Ham if they spent all of the Rice money (and whatever the summer transfer window budget would have been without the Rice sale) well). Just as well as we have City and Liverpool next where they will likely build up a points lead against us.

Diaz puts Liverpool in the lead away to Chelsea.

Fun game so far, feels like either team can win this. Impressed by Chelsea, Liverpool really needs a proper DM to let MacAllister and Szobo loose.

1-1 heading into the last 10 mins after another debutant Dizasi (also another of our targets lol) scored.

Fun game so far, feels like either team can win this. Impressed by Chelsea, Liverpool really needs a proper DM to let MacAllister and Szobo loose.
And both teams fighting for Caicedo and Lavia off the pitch lol.

Point a piece then for Liverpool and Chelsea, not a bad start for either and both look good at times, Chelsea seem much improved on last season and Liverpool are always dangerous going forward, not doubt both sides will add to their squad before the end of the window so may even iron some of their issues they have, may well end up being tight between them in the table as both will have eyes on top 4.

Spurs also got a point away, again probably happy enough opening day considering the week they have had.

Hopefully we can get off to a winning start tomorrow, feels like every point will count this season more than ever as a lot of top sides vying for only a few places.

Point a piece then for Liverpool and Chelsea, not a bad start for either and both look good at times, Chelsea seem much improved on last season and Liverpool are always dangerous going forward, not doubt both sides will add to their squad before the end of the window so may even iron some of their issues they have, may well end up being tight between them in the table as both will have eyes on top 4.

Spurs also got a point away, again probably happy enough opening day considering the week they have had.

Hopefully we can get off to a winning start tomorrow, feels like every point will count this season more than ever as a lot of top sides vying for only a few places.
I think Liverpool and Chelsea are aggressively going to be fighting for top 4 this season, and they seem to be going for it the most in the transfer window too of the chasing teams (ie not including Arsenal). Glad to see them draw anyway for the chances of both our clubs.

As long as no one has a terrible early period to the season and writes themselves out of the running, it seems there are more teams than ever who could push for the Euro places.

If Chelsea had better finishing yesterday I reckon they win that game 4 out of 5 times. Liverpool should be worried how easily Chelsea got through them, I think Liverpool's defense has some question marks and even though MacAllister and Szobo looked good, I think that midfield needed a Caicedo/Lavia type behind it to support it, not Gakpo in front of it. But it seems today that Chelsea won the battle for Caicedo so Liverpool will have to think of something else.

Reactions: B

Kick-Off-2.jpg

latest

giphy.gif

This is blasphemy & I'm outraged that our fine place of peace has been desecrated!

@Iceman's supply of Tetley & Rich Tea biscuits will be cut off with immediate effect until this injustice is righted! :D

PES5, in fact all of the PES games of the PS2 era were peak football games, loved them all.

If Chelsea had better finishing yesterday I reckon they win that game 4 out of 5 times. Liverpool should be worried how easily Chelsea got through them, I think Liverpool's defense has some question marks and even though MacAllister and Szobo looked good, I think that midfield needed a Caicedo/Lavia type behind it to support it, not Gakpo in front of it. But it seems today that Chelsea won the battle for Caicedo so Liverpool will have to think of something else.

Chelsea looked a lot better I thought yesterday than they did all of last season although, at least yesterday, still struggled to put the ball in the net when they probably should have.

I don't really know why Liverpool didn't have a penalty for the handball either, VAR looked at it & didn't even summon the referee.

Tonight should be an easy win but I always feel nervous about these kind of games. Wolves on paper have lost like 3 or 4 of their best players, they just lost their manager, a lot of people have them pegged as going down and there's really nothing going for them in terms of getting a result tonight. And sometimes that gives a big boost to the team, being able to play without pressure and just going out there. I mean Nottingham almost got a draw against Arsenal in the weekend and that was a similar "should be an easy home win" game.

Will sadly miss out on the game as it's the first day back at work tomorrow so I'll be in bed around that time. Just hoping I don't wake up tomorrow to see a draw or loss.

giphy.gif

This is blasphemy & I'm outraged that our fine place of peace has been desecrated!

@Iceman's supply of Tetley & Rich Tea biscuits will be cut off with immediate effect until this injustice is righted! :D

PES5, in fact all of the PES games of the PS2 era were peak football games, loved them all.
Great reactions here :funny: You guys didn't disappoint. :beaming:

Reactions: B

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"