Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - - - - Part 25

Willas and Garlan have to be younger than Loras to explain why he's the heir to highgarden. Anyhow I doubt they will show up at any point in the tv show.

Margaery and Loras definitely have female cousins, they've been seen serving Olenna and Margaery in the TV show. Whether they were at the trial or returned to Highgarden, I don't know.

What I don't understand is how much of a big deal Mace reacted when Loras swore to join the sparrows and never have heirs. When he joined the Kingsguard (Renly, then Tommen) didn't he do exactly that?

I don't recall him ever officially joining the Kingsguard for Tommen in the show.

Olenna and Tyrion never addressing that would make sense, because Tyrion (and nobody else other than LF and Sansa) knows about it, nor would Olenna have any reason to tell Tyrion otherwise.

I suspect Olenna will address this with Tyrion, likely as a means for full disclosure and moving forward. Moreover, the way I see it playing out is with Tyrion outright forgiving and bearing her no ill will since Olenna's main motivation - to protect her granddaughter from marrying a monster - is one Tyrion would actually respect. Further, Olenna (or Tyrion) will comment on how her actions DID set Tyrion on his course that ultimately led him to Daenerys and that point in time. The two might even reflect on how the things they do to protect their loved ones only contribute to their deaths. Lastly, it would serve as a counterpoint to Tyrion's feelings towards the Sand Snakes.

However, the Ellaria/Tyrion/Sandsnakes thing is an actual problem that has to be addressed. They killed Myrcella just because she's related to Tywin and Cersei. Also, Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne partially to protect her from Stannis' army in season 2. He also really adored Myrcella and Tommen.

In contrast to Olenna, I suspect Tyrion will have a far tougher time coming to grips with his partnership with the Sand Snakes; which may lead him to counsel Daenerys against the alliance and drive a wedge in his friendship with Varys.

I suspect Olenna will address this with Tyrion, likely as a means for full disclosure and moving forward. Moreover, the way I see it playing out is with Tyrion outright forgiving and bearing her no ill will since Olenna's main motivation - to protect her granddaughter from marrying a monster - is one Tyrion would actually respect. Further, Olenna (or Tyrion) will comment on how her actions DID set Tyrion on his course that ultimately led him to Daenerys and that point in time. The two might even reflect on how the things they do to protect their loved ones only contribute to their deaths. Lastly, it would serve as a counterpoint to Tyrion's feelings towards the Sand Snakes.

There isn't any need to engage in full disclosure if there's a possibility that the truth could drive a wedge between yourself and your new ally, especially when there's a close to 0% chance that he'll discover the truth on his own.

If anyone reveals Olenna's plot to kill Joffrey it would be Baelish and only if he wanted to break the alliance up.

In contrast to Olenna, I suspect Tyrion will have a far tougher time coming to grips with his partnership with the Sand Snakes; which may lead him to counsel Daenerys against the alliance and drive a wedge in his friendship with Varys.

I'm pretty sure it's too late and they've already accepted Dorne's help. Weren't there a few Dornish ships carrying Daenerys's troops at the end?

There isn't any need to engage in full disclosure if there's a possibility that the truth could drive a wedge between yourself and your new ally, especially when there's a close to 0% chance that he'll discover the truth on his own.

If anyone reveals Olenna's plot to kill Joffrey it would be Baelish and only if he wanted to break the alliance up.

That's kind of the point of full disclosure - to air one's dirty laundry even though there's little to no chance of it coming out on its own, in the interest of being completely honest and to minimise backlash should the truth be revealed on its own.

I'm pretty sure it's too late and they've already accepted Dorne's help. Weren't there a few Dornish ships carrying Daenerys's troops at the end?

An alliance/partnership lasts only so long as both parties continues to offer and accept aid from one another. Just because Daenerys has accepted Dorne's assistance in the past doesn't mean it will continue to do so. Moreover, the Sand Snakes - while no doubt in power at the moment - are not the entirety of Dorne, nor are they irreplaceable.

How Khal Drogo would have crossed the narrow sea.
Cmbdv2TWIAAd-V7.jpg

Wait....Rickon got the laughs... awww :csad:

Was Rickon a **** character?

He wasn't a character. He had the same amount of character development as those pebbles on the ground he ran past before he died.

He wasn't a character. He had the same amount of character development as those pebbles on the ground he ran past before he died.
:woot: This was what I was trying to say.

Considering that a Stark has just been killed in dramatic fashion, this would have been a huge event if it were any other member of the family (including manservants). But as it was Rickon it's already forgotten.

I really hope he has better development in the books. I understood why he didn't have a POV since he was 3 in the beginning but by now he'd be like 6 so it'd be interesting to read his thoughts.

Season 6 Deaths Classified

Very few that are actually sad lol.

Sad
Hodor
Tommen
Leaf
Wun Wun

Didn't want to die
Margaery
Summer & Shaggydog (would have been sad if not killed offscreen/in 0.5 seconds)
Blackfish
3 Eyed Raven
Osha
Doran Martell (& Trystane)
Roose Bolton!
Lady Crane

Great that they're dead!
Ramsay Bolton
Alliser Thorne & Olly
The Waif
High Sparrow/Lancel Lannister
Walder Frey & sons (in pie)
Balon Greyjoy
Pycelle

Good
Khals
Smalljon Umber
Kevan Lannister

Don't really care
Mace Tyrell
Areo Hotah
Lem Lemoncloak

Not nice
Walda Frey/Bolton and kid

Waste
Brother Ray

The worst death of the series? Tyrions sex drive.

People get a little too much joy out of Olly's death for my liking. He's like 11 years old and he's just recently seen his family and whole hometown killed by Wildlings. Jon lets the Wildlings through the gates and you're expecting him to see the big picture and put it all behind him? He's eleven! He's known Jon for all of a season, I'd stab the f***er too. :o

To be fair, Sansa had the same kind of apathy directed towards her at the end of Season 1. She was only 13 in the show and 11 in the books.

Olly killed Ygritte too :o he's a serial killer and needed to be put down like the raging animal that he was.

People get a little too much joy out of Olly's death for my liking. He's like 11 years old and he's just recently seen his family and whole hometown killed by Wildlings. Jon lets the Wildlings through the gates and you're expecting him to see the big picture and put it all behind him? He's eleven! He's known Jon for all of a season, I'd stab the f***er too. :o

Considering Westeros society and life in Westeros and the fact that people have to grow up much earlier there, considering the fact he was a man of the Night's Watch, considering that he knew the context of Jon's actions, knew what was at stake, and knew what was coming, the excuse, "He was only eleven!" isn't a good enough excuse.

Even in our society, an eleven year old would know better and likely wouldn't conspire to kill someone equal to Jon's rank and status. What Olly did was pretty damn egregious.

Last edited:
Olly's biggest mistake was trying to attack Tormund when the Wildlings returned... DONT **** WITH TORMUND

Olly killed Ygritte too :o he's a serial killer and needed to be put down like the raging animal that he was.
Ygritte deserved Olly's arrow.
Considering Westeros society and life in Westeros and the fact that people have to grow up much earlier there, considering the fact he was a man of the Night's Watch, considering that he knew the context of Jon's actions, knew what was at stake, and knew what was coming, the excuse, "He was only eleven!" isn't valid.

Even in our society, an eleven year old would know better and likely wouldn't conspire to kill someone equal to Jon's rank and status. What Olly did was pretty damn egregious.
Oh, I'm not saying justice wasn't served. I'm saying that some of y'all take the hate way too far. He wasn't Joffrey or Ramsay.

Considering Westeros society and life in Westeros and the fact that people have to grow up much earlier there, considering the fact he was a man of the Night's Watch, considering that he knew the context of Jon's actions, knew what was at stake, and knew what was coming, the excuse, "He was only eleven!" isn't a good enough excuse.

Lots of adults knew the context of Jon's actions, what was at stake, and what was coming yet participated in killing him anyway. Olly at least had a deeply personal reason for hating the Wildlings and probably thought they were safe as long as long as they stayed behind the Wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"