Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I read wiki I get even more hyped about wanting a prequel series. HBO just needs to force them to do a 13 episode limited series. So much material!

They don't have to force anything, George should decide if he wants to do it or not, they don't owe us anything.

The people whining about the finale are the typical narrow-minded book fans that can't accept any deviation from the books. Most fans and critics think the finale was great, maybe the best finale so far.

And since Sansa and Bran’s story lines are basically all caught up to the books, it should be interesting to see how they will manage them next season... hurry up George!!! :woot:

So were people disappointed in the children of the forest? I haven't read it but I've read descriptions and seen fan art that seemed much cooler looking .

Bran's entire segment was pretty awesome, I thought. The "Jason and the Argonauts" vibe from the wights, the children of the forest...I really liked it. I hope they play that up more in s5.

There's really not that much of Bran's storyline left in the books, so it'll be interesting to see what filler they come up with

There's really not that much of Bran's storyline left in the books, so it'll be interesting to see what filler they come up with
It will be the same with Sansa. Other than her leaving the Eyrie, with Littlefinger and Robin what else did she do in the books? I can't recall anything at all.

GOT Showrunners Talk Season 5

Is there a character on this show whose loss would really zap a lot of the life from the series?
BENIOFF: There are some characters who will die that I won’t think people will predict. And as George has said, we’re killing off more characters than in the books and will continue to do so.
WEISS: There are several characters whose loss will do that. But it doesn’t mean they won’t die.
tumblr_muz37cCKB61r6dombo1_400.gif

The only problem I see with doing any type of prequel series to give GRRM time to wrap the books up is the young ones like Bran, Arya, and Sansa will visibly age a lot more than they already do between each season. Would be kind of jarring to go a few years not seeing these kids to seeing them older even though it is supposed to continue where it left off

Season 4, Season 2, Season 1 and Season 3 for me.

I'll rewatch seasons 2 and 1 someday soonish this year and see if my opinion changes.

Exactly my rating, too. Season 4 was the best for me so far.

So, since this is the book reader's thread we are allowed to openly talk about spoilers, yes?

Anyone else see the Game of Thrones opening sequence you didn't know you wanted on the Wil Wheaton Project? I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen it but check it out on YouTube. Not sure if I can post it here because of the lyrics and I don't want to get another infraction

I was talking to a friend about the longevity of the series as compared to the books and it's possible HBO may consider filming seasons 7 + 8 in 4 years instead of just 2 (like final seasons of Sopranos + Breaking Bad + Mad Men,etc). As of now, seasons 5 + 6 are scheduled to air concurrently and will likely use most of the material from AFFC & ADWD. This we know. But with no date set for the release of TWOW and ADOS also tbd, the show will conclude before the final book. It's HBO's flagship series now and they want to milk its sweet teets.

So in theory, seasons 7 & 8 would adapt TWOW & ADOS. If season 6 airs in 2016 and TWOW is released before June '16, season 7 could be split for 2017-18 and season 8 for '19-20. That gives G-Mart +/- 4 years to finish ADOS. This split might also allow HBO to increase the budget per episode since there would only be 5/6 episodes per production year.

Truthfully, i wouldn't prefer a split because i'm selfish and don't want to wait longer for the conclusion, but I can see the positives in doing it. Is anybody in favor of a possible split seasons idea?

Season 4 ending with lovely Arya sealed the deal with the finale being the best episode for me, with other episodes coming so close.

They don't have to force anything, George should decide if he wants to do it or not, they don't owe us anything.

The people whining about the finale are the typical narrow-minded book fans that can't accept any deviation from the books. Most fans and critics think the finale was great, maybe the best finale so far.

And since Sansa and Bran’s story lines are basically all caught up to the books, it should be interesting to see how they will manage them next season... hurry up George!!! :woot:

I think that's a bit unfair. Labeling anyone who had issues with it as narrow-minded book fans is fairly narrow-minded in and of itself. The finale was quite good, but it wasn't perfect. Actually, I think my biggest issue with it was something the show did to itself: They made Shae a more interesting character (to me anyway) than in the book...but keeping her demise the same as in the book did not fit her character arc. They made Shae a very intelligent woman, and I never bought that she was foolish enough to actually believe Tyrion's speech about not caring for her, or that she was petty enough that it would drive her to actively try to get him killed.

Overall, the show has been a brilliant adaptation, and I've liked nearly all it's changes to the source material better than the books, but it has had some missteps. The biggest by far being the Jamie/Cersei sex scene. That change just didn't make sense, not only with the way book Jamie characterization, but show Jamie as well. Really a poor decision on their part.

Anywho, about the whole show catching the book issue. Honestly, I don't see them being able to stretch what's left of book 4 and 5 into two seasons, unless they add a LOT of new filler material. I think they could easily catch up to the books after S5. If that's the case, GRRM needs to get his next book out by next summer at the latest, or the show will pass him.

[YT]sObc3-0BJZQ[/YT]

Does anyone else watch Comicbookgirl19 and the great GoT videos she does? After each episode she does a recap and compares how the show has differed from the books. Well worth starting if not.
I mention them as in the video for the last episode she points out the same issue I had with this episode, all to do with how Arya leaving the Hound plays out pretty much like it did in the book, yet that doesn't really fit in with how Arya and the Hound's dynamic actually was in the show, something which bothered me. Throughout the season the two have created the tv version of their dynamic, but the end of their journey together pulls directly from the dynamic of the books characters. Pretty much the only thing that bugged me about the episode.

[YT]sObc3-0BJZQ[/YT]

Does anyone else watch Comicbookgirl19 and the great GoT videos she does? After each episode she does a recap and compares how the show has differed from the books. Well worth starting if not.
I mention them as in the video for the last episode she points out the same issue I had with this episode, all to do with how Arya leaving the Hound plays out pretty much like it did in the book, yet that doesn't really fit in with how Arya and the Hound's dynamic actually was in the show, something which bothered me. Throughout the season the two have created the tv version of their dynamic, but the end of their journey together pulls directly from the dynamic of the books characters. Pretty much the only thing that bugged me about the episode.

I did think that felt a bit odd too to be honest. It's the same with the Shae thing for me. Shae's death didn't fit with how they displayed her in the show.

The only problem I see with doing any type of prequel series to give GRRM time to wrap the books up is the young ones like Bran, Arya, and Sansa will visibly age a lot more than they already do between each season. Would be kind of jarring to go a few years not seeing these kids to seeing them older even though it is supposed to continue where it left off

i don't think this show is going more than 7 seasons and i don't think they'll wait for grrm either so i don't think the kids growing older will be too anymore of an issue than it all ready has been.

grrm has two years to finish TWOW, which i think he will. the last book and the last season will be a problem for him though.

ЯɘvlveR;29087437 said:
i don't think this show is going more than 7 seasons and i don't think they'll wait for grrm either so i don't think the kids growing older will be too anymore of an issue than it all ready has been.

grrm has two years to finish TWOW, which i think he will. the last book and the last season will be a problem for him though.

He has one year. Filming will have started not long after S5 finishes, if it doesn't start sooner. If he wants the showrunners to be able to adapt what he's written, they'll need to have the book before they start filming. And with his previous track record on time...it's doubtful he'll get it out soon enough.

We now have a Game of Thrones section!:awesome:

:D hey there's a new thread for GoT if you haven't noticed lol

We now have a Game of Thrones section!:awesome:
We TRIED getting a Fantasy section and because it didn't work at Coming Soon they won't do it here.
If I missed a Thread let Matt, Corp or myself know and We'll get to it. I have to leave here pretty soon

We TRIED getting a Fantasy section and because it didn't work at Coming Soon they won't do it here.
If I missed a Thread let Matt, Corp or myself know and We'll get to it. I have to leave here pretty soon

Thats too bad about the Fantasy section, but I appreciate y'all getting us the Game of Thrones section. Its gonna make the discussions better next season and protect the non book readers. A definite win for the fans.:)

So were people disappointed in the children of the forest? I haven't read it but I've read descriptions and seen fan art that seemed much cooler looking .

I was mildly disappointed. Here's what I pictured while reading; this is from the Game of Thrones TCG. All the art has to get approval from George, so it is as good as official:

243rrye.jpg

For those interested: Here's Bran and the Three-Eyed Crow

mb3iug.jpg

Last edited:
Victarion, that picture of the Three Eyed Crowe is definitely more what I envisioned when I read the book. They didn't really make it clear that the roots were growing into him in the show.

Holy ish, there's a forum. What a great day for mankind.

As for the Three-Eyed Crow... Yeah, the show's version was a little subdued. He had a few roots and stuff wrapping around him, but it didn't really seem to emphasize that he was basically part of the throne he was sitting in. Still, it was ok. The setting itself (the throne room) was basically how I envisioned it, so that was well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"