Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - - - - Part 25

Because she's a woman.

I just hope there comes a time in the books where Aeron has to bend the knee to Daenerys and her dragons. It's not likely but it would be nice to read.

Well, to be fair to him, I don’t think Asha could have stopped Euron. He had his entire family played from the outset. Aeron even underlines that for most of his life it was Balon who kept him safe, and his view seemed to be that Victarion was an extension of that comfort zone for him. He’s definitely a misogynist, because the entire culture is that, but I don’t think his actions entirely stemmed from that.

But yeah, Aeron’s probably not meeting Dany. With where his Winds of Winter chapter ended, I don’t think he’s meeting anyone else.

Ah I haven't read any of the Winds chapters. I don't want to start and then finish and be upset that the book isn't out yet.

Are they worth the read?

Some are pretty good, though they do kind of spoil some cliffhangers from the end of Book 5.

being abused as a child doesnt excuse actions as an adult... I challenge you to say that in the Weinstein thread or michael jackson thread... or any other numerous threads in the community.

being abused as a child doesnt excuse actions as an adult... I challenge you to say that in the Weinstein thread or michael jackson thread... or any other numerous threads in the community.

I don't know what you're getting at. Understanding behaviour isn't the same as excusing it.

Also, these are GOT characters. Every one of them was abused as a child in some way or another.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I just read an article about Mag's prophecy, and it pointed out something that greatly widens the pool of potential killers of Cersei. The prophecy in the books says, “The valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale throat and choke the life from you.” That part was cut from the show. Valonquar means "little brother".

Funny thing is the prophecy says "the little brother". Not "your little brother". So it could be any little brother. There are a lot of characters in the show that are little brothers. Little brothers that arent Tyrion or Jaime:
Sam
Gendry
The Hound
Jon is an adopted little brother
Theon
...and Euron.

My money is on Euron choking her to death.

I wonder if it could mean Jaime as well. He was technically born after Cersei.

I wonder if it could mean Jaime as well. He was technically born after Cersei.
Isn't there some debate that Valonqar may actually be genderless? So it could actually mean something as simple as "The little sibling." Which opens it up to nearly every other main character left around.

Isn't there some debate that Valonqar may actually be genderless? So it could actually mean something as simple as "The little sibling." Which opens it up to nearly every other main character left around.

True. But it wouldn't feel like Martin for him to have just anyone kill Cersei. She's assuming it's going to be Tyrion. I doubt it will be, but I think it still has to be someone very close to her (either through former love or absolute hate).

My bet is Jaime or Arya. I would say Sansa, but strangling someone doesn't seem like her MO.

Sansa fed Ramsey to dogs while he was alive. Strangling Cersei would be tame by comparison. Plus, after what Sansa has been through, what she learned from Cersei and Littlefinger, and Ned's murder I wouldnt put it past her to strangle Cersei. Factor in what Cersei is going to do with the Golden Company and Sansa's probably going to be more than ready to choke a ***** to death.

Sansa fed Ramsey to dogs while he was alive. Strangling Cersei would be tame by comparison. Plus, after what Sansa has been through, what she learned from Cersei and Littlefinger, and Ned's murder I wouldnt put it past her to strangle Cersei. Factor in what Cersei is going to do with the Golden Company and Sansa's probably going to be more than ready to choke a ***** to death.

I'm talking about the books. Sansa wasn't forced to marry Ramsay. As of book 5, she's at the Vale and pretty tame.

It’ll probably be Jamie in both books and show who does her in.
giphy.gif

Jamie seems like the most poetically poignant way to go. Though some have speculated that if she does indeed become pregnant by him she could die in childbirth, and that technically, her child would be a younger sibling as well as child...
Who knows though. I'm still waiting to see how the Jamie/Stoneheart stuff plays out. Or what Stoneheart will do in general, outside be grumpy and hang Freys. I know there's speculation she'll somehow have to convey a message to Jon once he's resurrected, which could be interesting. And like...just rough for Kat. R'Hollor is just dunking on her. "I'll bring you back. but you gunna look like crap and you have to run and errand for me to that kid you hated."

Jamie seems like the most poetically poignant way to go. Though some have speculated that if she does indeed become pregnant by him she could die in childbirth, and that technically, her child would be a younger sibling as well as child...
Who knows though. I'm still waiting to see how the Jamie/Stoneheart stuff plays out. Or what Stoneheart will do in general, outside be grumpy and hang Freys. I know there's speculation she'll somehow have to convey a message to Jon once he's resurrected, which could be interesting. And like...just rough for Kat. R'Hollor is just dunking on her. "I'll bring you back. but you gunna look like crap and you have to run and errand for me to that kid you hated."
Stoneheart doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in the Lord of Light. I'll believe the Lord will come calling eventually to her but it will be interesting to see how she reacts.

I've been reading over specific POVs across the books lately and just started on Reek in ADWD.....while getting into a chicken breast.....bad idea.

Not really don't think I'll be picking at any carcasses for awhile. :p

Question for book readers and experts for Song of Ice and Fire:

Are the gods of this universe real beings or entities? I know magic exists in this world, but is it possible what the religious faith of this world see as gods or powerful deities, is it possible that's all fake and there's another explanation for the magic and other phantasmagoria? In other words, is there possibly another explanation for what causes the magic to happen?

It's a difficult one to answer. There are characters in the book that are not in the show who would be difficult to explain without some of the Gods being, in some manner, real. The reason they were cut being that they are impossible to explain in the somewhat grounded approach D&D have taken.

The magical characters that they did keep, the likes of Melisandre, are the ones they could portray as being possible shysters.

When they have attempted to portray characters who seem interlinked with the Gods, the likes of Euron, they've either watered down the character immensely or have simply made a thundering hash of it.

So IMO in the books there is definitely some truth to the Gods, the old Gods at least anyway.

I think Rhllor, Old Gods, the Great Other are real. Powerful magical beings that work behind the scenes for mysterious reasons. Some of the ancient Essos gods and spirits are probably real or existed at one time. The Seven, however, seem more like metaphors and not real beings.

I recall Martin saying that the gods wont ever appear on page. We'll only ever see their will being carried out by human characters that interpret and carry out the will of the gods.

I’m going through my first re read and I finished a chapter in ASOS today that mentions a knight named Ser Tallad. Tall lad. Is this Dunk’s grandson?

I’m going through my first re read and I finished a chapter in ASOS today that mentions a knight named Ser Tallad. Tall lad. Is this Dunk’s grandson?
I've seen that theory before. Tallad gets persistently mentioned, so it seems like he's relevant SOMEHOW, but who knows. He may have been a victim of cutting the 5-Year Gap.

I've also seen it widely theorized that Brienne is a descendant of Dunk.

You’d think the end of the series and then quarantine would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"