Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

The talk of the Castlerys and 100 kingdoms has me excited to see what new powerful houses we'll get to see, including the ones like Castlery, Hoare, Gardner, etc... that are now extinct or greatly reduced in authority, like the Peakes, Manderlys (Who would still be southerners) and Fowlers, or were largely ignored by GOT, like the Arryns.

I will never not share this meme lol gets me every time :funny:
66509650_2394642070588791_3399537481744384000_n.jpg

And I don't know about the rest but the New York one was very true when trying to get a drink :funny:
67158971_2397003147019350_1138372341546352640_n.jpg

Durran Godsgrief and his family would be cool to see.
Yeah, the Storm Kings, Gardner Kings, all those old families are super exciting to see. Also, the Blackwoods. I think they would still be kings in the Wolf's Wood at this point. And they got completely overlooked in the show.

All in all, I'm most excited just to see Westeros in an age where magic still ruled. It's mostly dormant at the start of ASOIAF, and even more so in the show, since D&D were so clearly embarrassed by the more fantastic elements of the story. Hopefully this makes up for it.

Emmys ought to be embarrassed by this.
The Emmys always stick with nominating shows long past their prime, such as Modern Family. It doesn't surprise me that it was nominated for Best Drama Series (we'll see if it wins). What does surprise me is the amount of acting nominations it got. I have no idea how Kit Harington got nominated.

Maybe they recognized that Kit did the best he could with what he had. I'm fine with the actors being rewarded. I just dont want Dumb&Dumber to get any awards. Any Best Series, Best Writing, Best Directing awards will just make those two morons feel vindicated.

Maybe they recognized that Kit did the best he could with what he had. I'm fine with the actors being rewarded. I just dont want Dumb&Dumber to get any awards. Any Best Series, Best Writing, Best Directing awards will just make those two morons feel vindicated.

Totally agree with this. The actors deserve an Emmy each for getting through season seven.

Wow. The levels of surprise across the Internet has been extreme.:whatever:

They would have rightly been booed, so can understand why they didn’t want to turn up, but still smacks of two people who really don’t care about this property anymore. That was clearly the case for the past two years, actually.

They would have rightly been booed, so can understand why they didn’t want to turn up, but still smacks of two people who really don’t care about this property anymore. That was clearly the case for the past two years, actually.

It's unlikely that they actually would've gotten booed, but I was curious.

It's unlikely that they actually would've gotten booed, but I was curious.
And they honestly shouldn’t get boo’ed. Anyone who would do that is a jerk. There’s a difference between honest criticism and being a jackoff.

They flubbed the end. And they should receive fair criticism for it. They also gave us four of the greatest seasons of TV ever made. This is like the George Lucas stuff all over again. Let’s learn from our mistakes people.

And they honestly shouldn’t get boo’ed. Anyone who would do that is a jerk. There’s a difference between honest criticism and being a jackoff.

They flubbed the end. And they should receive fair criticism for it. They also gave us four of the greatest seasons of TV ever made. This is like the George Lucas stuff all over again. Let’s learn from our mistakes people.

I appreciate this sentiment a lot. My anger isn't so much that they flubbed the ending. That could be forgiven. Like... oh it was an honest effort, and it just missed the mark. I could go with that.

I don't think season 8 was an honest effort though. They had every opportunity to hand the show off to someone else. It's not like there weren't writers who would have killed for the chance to write to season 10 or 11. Those two guys felt like they were more important than the work, and because of that - the decided they'd rather shortchange the work and leave early than let someone else take over.

That's not cool. And when you look at their body of work, you start to see that these guys failed their way up a little bit. Yeah... they gave us 4 great seasons... or rather, Martin gave us 4 great seasons, which they transcribed excellently into TV. It's not like they wrote the big beats of those 4 seasons though... they didn't write the Red Wedding; Martin did. I think fans just want to hold them accountable... but I do understand... booing is quite rude. The guys sabotaged a tv show... they didn't kill anybody. So, you know... emotionally I want to boo them, but I probably wouldn't.

I appreciate this sentiment a lot. My anger isn't so much that they flubbed the ending. That could be forgiven. Like... oh it was an honest effort, and it just missed the mark. I could go with that.

I don't think season 8 was an honest effort though. They had every opportunity to hand the show off to someone else. It's not like there weren't writers who would have killed for the chance to write to season 10 or 11. Those two guys felt like they were more important than the work, and because of that - the decided they'd rather shortchange the work and leave early than let someone else take over.

That's not cool. And when you look at their body of work, you start to see that these guys failed their way up a little bit. Yeah... they gave us 4 great seasons... or rather, Martin gave us 4 great seasons, which they transcribed excellently into TV. It's not like they wrote the big beats of those 4 seasons though... they didn't write the Red Wedding; Martin did. I think fans just want to hold them accountable... but I do understand... booing is quite rude. The guys sabotaged a tv show... they didn't kill anybody. So, you know... emotionally I want to boo them, but I probably wouldn't.
This is the big thing for me. When the season first happened, I kept defending them because I had no idea about their behind-the-scenes behavior and just assumed that HBO had told them when to end the show. The fact that this was pretty much self-sabotage, and the level of disdain they showed for the source despite their success hinging entirely on what Martin gave them, makes it so that I PERSONALLY wouldn't boo them, but I'm certainly not going to feel sorry if they do eventually get booed.

In regards of the acting noms, I feel like a lot of these were "body of work" Oscars for people like Kit, more of a recognition of the character they created than this particular season's worth of work, since this is their last chance to award it.

All I take away from the panel is, HBO had better greenlight Better Call Davos or we riot. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"