Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

No Book Discussion

I feel like the 'book readers' thread has become this, so may as well make one so some people don't foolishly get spoiled by....being foolish enough to venture to the book readers thread.

"Get up, blind girl!"

"I can't see!"

New thread....

tumblr_ouaqa7n7XZ1qa0s3ho3_400.gif

I kinda wanna discuss why there are lack of Americans or Canadian actors in Game of Thrones

Plenty of Scandinavians though.

Then again, the best actor is American, so I am quite pleased.

I love tyrion, I had no idea Peter Dinklage was American until I saw him in an interview. He's a great character and one of the best on the show.

I kinda wanna discuss why there are lack of Americans or Canadian actors in Game of Thrones

Plenty of Scandinavians though.

Then again, the best actor is American, so I am quite pleased.

JGyYlqa

You do know it is set in a fantasy version of medieval Europe, right? One that is also shot almost exclusively in Europe, which is also where a lot of the casting pool comes from? The only reason they cast Dinklage is he is a wonderful actor and was born to play Tyrion (even if he was a bit too old for the part). But yeah, it is not shocking why the casting went as it did in terms of nationalities. ;)

JGyYlqa

You do know it is set in a fantasy version of medieval Europe, right? One that is also shot almost exclusively in Europe, which is also where a lot of the casting pool comes from? The only reason they cast Dinklage is he is a wonderful actor and was born to play Tyrion (even if he was a bit too old for the part). But yeah, it is not shocking why the casting went as it did in terms of nationalities. ;)

Actually one would expect all of the casting would be primarily British. The actress playing Melisandre is Dutch. Quite a few on the show are Danish. But it is surprising that there are not any other Americans on the show.

I have no proble, I was just curious about it. One can't simply say that British actors are best for this role and that Americans are not, when plenty of things set in the US have British actors in them playing British characters or American.

I believe Dinklage was the best to play Tyrion, but to be fair how many "little person" actors are there. Dinklage is the only that come to mind and I only knew him from his stint on Nip/Tuck years ago.

Most of the cast are primarily Irish and British. Off the top of my head the only big characters who aren't, (aside from Dinklage) are Nikolaji Coster-Waldau as Jaime, Carice Van Houten as Melisandre and Pilou Asbaek as Euron. In the case of the former I believe it was because he had been set up in the U.K. for a few years working in various film and telelvision productions when he caught the casting directors eye. The latter two characters are meant to be exotic, so it was likely a deliberate choice for them to look outside their usual casting pool. Same thing with a lot of the Wildlings being Scandinavian. Gives them that slightly exotic flair compared to the typical Irish/British sounding Westerosi.

O/T but you never see any Canadians in big roles anymore on tv. The Brits came in and took all their roles. And the Aussies/Kiwis took whatever roles that were left LOL

Anyway do you guys know of any strictly "Game of Thrones" type conventions? I stay in LA and would love to attend one. I know the fanbase isn't as big as a Star Trek or Star Wars, but it surely can compete with the fandom of superheroes/Buffy/Firefly.

O/T but you never see any Canadians in big roles anymore on tv. The Brits came in and took all their roles. And the Aussies/Kiwis took whatever roles that were left LOL

Anyway do you guys know of any strictly "Game of Thrones" type conventions? I stay in LA and would love to attend one. I know the fanbase isn't as big as a Star Trek or Star Wars, but it surely can compete with the fandom of superheroes/Buffy/Firefly.

CW and SYFY shows are shot and produced in Canada and star a lot of Canadian actors.

JGyYlqa

I think D&D said that the two actors that they wanted before starting the show was Sean Bean as Ned Stark and Peter Dinklage for Tyrion Lannister. So in the case of Dinklage being one of the few American actors on the show, it's because that's who D&D wanted.

Last edited:
I believe they saw a fan suggestion of Jason Momoa as Drogo and ran with that, back in the day.

I believe they saw a fan suggestion of Jason Momoa as Drogo and ran with that, back in the day.

I can't believe I forgot he was American.

when the show began I knew only him (because he did Stargate and had heard he was gonna be the new Conan), Lena Headley (300, The Brothers Grimm), Peter Dinklage (because of Nip/Tuck) and of course Sean Bean. I was amazed he was doing tv. He has done a lot of direct to video films, but seemed odd he would be doing a tv series.

I read something that they gave him like 5 million for the first season.

There is also Pedro Pascal and Rosabell Laurenti Sellers.

There is also Pedro Pascal and Rosabell Laurenti Sellers.

Good call on those 2.

so are the reports true about the major cast members earning a million an episode? I see a million on some sites and others stating two million

They earn a lot now, but I think in seasons 1-4 it was more moderate.

lena gets paid in drugs and alcohol... and free sex.

Good call on those 2.

so are the reports true about the major cast members earning a million an episode? I see a million on some sites and others stating two million

So close to the end now, they can't afford to change anyone out now to save money. :)

a million dollars worth for her is just a slow weekend.

So close to the end now, they can't afford to change anyone out now to save money. :)

I'm not sure of their season 1-4 salaries but I believe around season 5 they were earning like 300 K an episode.

And now 1-2 million. Which is incredibly hard to believe.

I'm not sure of their season 1-4 salaries but I believe around season 5 they were earning like 300 K an episode.

And now 1-2 million. Which is incredibly hard to believe.

I think it was the same with Breaking Bad. Once the show got rolling and was so popular the actors could get pretty much what they wanted.

I really think Bronn should have died during that battle scene in the last episode. It just seemed a little bit of a cop out having him so narrowly dodge death like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"