Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

I’ll be diving into this show for the first time soon already knowing about about the poor reception of the last season. I just want to be part of the zeitgeist I guess. Maybe I’ll stop the main series after season 6 or 7 and just watch the prequel series. Good plan or bad plan?

Might as well finish it if you liked the series up to that point.

It's revisionist history that people thought Season 7 was bad. It had good reviews from critics, nominated for Emmy and WGA awards, and there are like four episodes that are rated a 9 on IMDb. And no, redditors crying about "teleportation" don't count.

Last edited:
Also for what it's worth, people didn't start crying about season 8 until the third episode. The first two episodes of the season were well received.

All in all, there's maybe just as much in season 8 that I liked compared to what I didn't like, it's just that how rushed the back half of the season was is a pretty big strike against it.

Season 5 was terrible but goddamn Hardhome was amazing. Best battle scene since LOTR and still the best battle of the series.

Season 5 is second lowest on my ranking of the seasons after 8. I didn't necessarily think it was bad but the snail's pace of the first half of the season combined with the show essentially resetting the board after the fallout of season 4 set it back. It took a while for the show to bounce back from losing Tywin Lannister. Needless to say, it did finish strong with Hardhome and the final two episodes after that.

I saw the first episode. It was fine. A lot going on but I haven’t been able to connect with anything just yet. We’ll see how this goes.

All in all, there's maybe just as much in season 8 that I liked compared to what I didn't like, it's just that how rushed the back half of the season was is a pretty big strike against it.
I didn't like season 8 at all. It just LOOKED good. Season 5-8 had great episodes, but I'd be lying to myself if I said I enjoyed those seasons as a whole, as opposed to seasons 1-4 which i liked for the most part. That's just how I feel.

Last edited:
Season 5 was terrible but goddamn Hardhome was amazing. Best battle scene since LOTR and still the best battle of the series.
I, genuinely, hate season five far more than I hate season eight. Season eight for all that it is an absolute mess has some ideas and even episodes I consider underrated simply because everyone who isn't D&D were in top form throughout.

Littlefinger marrying Sansa to Ramsay legit made me stop watching the show for years which is a huge accomplishment for an adaptation of my favourite book series.

I, genuinely, hate season five far more than I hate season eight. Season eight for all that it is an absolute mess has some ideas and even episodes I consider underrated simply because everyone who isn't D&D were in top form throughout.

Littlefinger marrying Sansa to Ramsay legit made me stop watching the show for years which is a huge accomplishment for an adaptation of my favourite book series.
Oh was that not in the books? Not a very pleasant thing to do if not.

Oh was that not in the books? Not a very pleasant thing to do if not.
In the books Sansa's best friend Jeyne Poole is married off to Ramsay and the show put Sansa there in her place since if Jeyne was even in the show at all she would have been just a background character in season 1.

I concur. I know people love to dunk on Seasons 7/8, but I dislike most of 5. Sure it has Hardhome, but all the character arcs go in circles, every character is continuously being hurt without furthering the plot, and Dorne was well Dorne. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken was rightfully the lowest-rated episode of the show for ages. Season 6 was a return to form IMO, and Season 7/8 never fell to the lows of Season 5.

In the books Sansa's best friend Jeyne Poole is married off to Ramsay and the show put Sansa there in her place since if Jeyne was even in the show at all she would have been just a background character in season 1.
Oh - that sounds familiar now. I think I knew that even though I still haven't read that far in the books (kind of stopped reading after season 8 :csad: ). It's quite a big thing to transfer on to another character like that. Would have preferred if they just left it out entirely.

Oh - that sounds familiar now. I think I knew that even though I still haven't read that far in the books (kind of stopped reading after season 8 :csad: ). It's quite a big thing to transfer on to another character like that. Would have preferred if they just left it out entirely.
I'm assuming D&D thought that Sansa's storyline in the books either wasn't exciting enough or she was sidelined for too long so they gave her that plotline. I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM's plan in the books is to have Sansa remain in the Vale until the time comes to summon their army to assist Jon Snow in taking back Winterfell.

I'm assuming D&D thought that Sansa's storyline in the books either wasn't exciting enough or she was sidelined for too long so they gave her that plotline. I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM's plan in the books is to have Sansa remain in the Vale until the time comes to summon their army to assist Jon Snow in taking back Winterfell.
Yeah, that was NOT the way to spice it up.

I concur. I know people love to dunk on Seasons 7/8, but I dislike most of 5. Sure it has Hardhome, but all the character arcs go in circles, every character is continuously being hurt without furthering the plot, and Dorne was well Dorne. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken was rightfully the lowest-rated episode of the show for ages. Season 6 was a return to form IMO, and Season 7/8 never fell to the lows of Season 5.
I’ve probably got more tolerance for ****e than most, and was still fully on board when season 8 rolled around. It was only the ridiculously sudden resolution of the White Walker plot line and the finale which pulled the rug out from the whole show for me. D&D rushed the whole thing to a seriously dumb extent and the show would have been much better off getting someone else to finish it with due time and care. We can see from HotD that Game of Thrones content can be quality without D&D.

Rewatching some of the early episodes right now, and I find myself wondering how much Sean Bean knew about R+L=J. Or even if he didn’t know for sure, if he might have been made aware of the theories going in, because anytime the subject is touched upon (Jon asking about his mother, Robert bringing up Rhaegar and Lyanna and his desire to kill any Targaryen he gets his hands on), Bean really was selling a good deal of inner turmoil.

could have been like JK Rowling and Alan RIckman...

Yeah, given what we know of them, they definitely thought that her navigating politics in the Vale and learning how to play the game would be "boring" so they had her get raped instead. For sure the most disgusting creative choice in GOT.

Yeah, given what we know of them, they definitely thought that her navigating politics in the Vale and learning how to play the game would be "boring" so they had her get raped instead. For sure the most disgusting creative choice in GOT.
The silver lining was her story only got better from there, from her revenge on Ramsay later in season 6 to her becoming Queen in the North. In terms of where a lot of characters ended their storylines in the show, Sansa's was one of the better ones. I'd also wager that she ends up in the same place at the end of the books as well.

House of the Dragon urged me to want to rewatch GoT. Varys is still one of the best characters and knowing how he goes out still boils my blood.

House of the Dragon urged me to want to rewatch GoT. Varys is still one of the best characters and knowing how he goes out still boils my blood.
I might do a GOT rewatch in the near future after I'm done reading Fire and Blood. As for how Varys ended up, I don't think anyone was more pissed than the actor who played him since his reaction to it in the script read-through was documented for all to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"