• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

Someone posted this on Freefolk.

Season 8 in a nutshell. Rick is D&D. Morty is the fans.

:hehe:

The more I think about it, and the more aware I become of the differences in the books, the thing that annoys be the absolute most about the final season is that they could have very easily just slipped Arianne Martell into the counsel scene. Sure, she'd never get justice as a character, but at the very least it wouldn't make a joke out of Ellaria's "Never again will weak men rule Dorne" line. Because now Dorne goes out being ruled by a male character so weak he literally has no name.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the strong female characters we all know and love were because of the source material, not the show's writers.

The more I think about it, and the more aware I become of the differences in the books, the thing that annoys be the absolute most about the final season is that they could have very easily just slipped Arianne Martell into the counsel scene. Sure, she'd never get justice as a character, but at the very least it wouldn't make a joke out of Ellaria's "Never again will weak men rule Dorne" line. Because now Dorne goes out being ruled by a male character so weak he literally has no name.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the strong female characters we all know and love were because of the source material, not the show's writers.

That particular difference to the books is greater than that though, as Dorne wasn't actually ruled by a weak man. Some thought Doran Martell to be weak because they didn't know what was going on, but he is in fact very clever and has been plotting to restore House Targaryen ever since the sacking of King's Landing in Robert's Rebellion. In the show Doran was a weak man by all accounts though.

I've never enjoyed the way they portrayed gay male characters in the show too.

I also found it a bit frustrating that the show writers sure liked to focus a lot of the nudity and sex, and the exploitation of the women, as well as rape. For starters, in the first book, Dany wants Drogo, while in the show, they have him rape her. They also created the ****e, Ros, when she wasn't exactly in the books either. The show writers sure like to pander to the perverted male audience. I also wasn't too keen on how they portrayed the gay characters either.

I've never enjoyed the way they portrayed gay male characters in the show too.
Same. In fact, when it came to gay characters, that is all they focused on, the sex, and not other traits. Loras had struck a good friendship with Tommen, and the show never, ever bothered to focus on it.

I also found it a bit frustrating that the show writers sure liked to focus a lot of the nudity and sex, and the exploitation of the women, as well as rape. For starters, in the first book, Dany wants Drogo, while in the show, they have him rape her. They also created the ****e, Ros, when she wasn't exactly in the books either. The show writers sure like to pander to the perverted male audience. I also wasn't too keen on how they portrayed the gay characters either.

Drogo waits for her to say yes on the wedding night in the book, but after that he just does as he pleases with her. He takes her every night so she's bruised and has to bite down on the pillow to hide her screams and tears. She's in enough pain that she can't sleep well at night and actually contemplates suicide. It's not a nice love story between the two in the book until Dany learns how to please a man and takes control herself. Before that it's dark and disturbing, especially by our modern point of view.

Same. In fact, when it came to gay characters, that is all they focused on, the sex, and not other traits. Loras had struck a good friendship with Tommen, and the show never, ever bothered to focus on it.

Yeah. I guess the exceptions that come to my mind immediately were Yara and Oberyn; though Oberyn was bi.

Man, I wish Oberyn hadn't gotten over confident against the Mountain, but, then, things wouldn't have worked out the way they did......wait, maybe I really do wish he had won....:-)

Last edited:
Hey I liked Ros! she was a fun sexy character. Unpopular opinion I know, but I also found her death kinda fitting. The nudity and sex was also no worse than the ****ing violence. The fact that people have more issues with the former than the latter is crazy.

Last edited:
It was a big point in the books too that Loras never took another lover after Renly because he genuinely loved him and was too heartbroken. They threw that out the window pretty quick.

Hey I liked Ros! she was a fun sexy character. Unpopular opinion I know, but I also found her death kinda fitting. The nudity and sex was also no worse than the ****ing violence. The fact that people have more issues with the former than the latter is crazy.
Probably because the nudity tends to be one sided, and it's real, while the violence is fake. I've also seen several interviews with Emelia Clarke, Maise Williams and Nathalie Emmanuel who admit the nude/sex scenes are weird for them when watching the show with their parents. Why aren't the men put in the same position as much as to the point where they feel weird when watching with their parents?

Probably because the nudity tends to be one sided, and it's real, while the violence is fake. I've also seen several interviews with Emelia Clarke, Maise Williams and Nathalie Emmanuel who admit the nude/sex scenes are weird for them when watching the show with their parents. Why aren't the men put in the same position as much as to the point where they feel weird when watching with their parents?
You mean like Will Tudor?

Checking out that 'The Last Night' documentary airing on HBO now. Admittedly, part of it is because I have nothing else to do on a Sunday night at 9 pm right now, but also I suppose it could be interesting to see what came about during production.

Still weird that people would have no problem watching extreme violence with their parents, but draw the line with simulated sex and ****, but ok I guess. Look everyone has their "line", fine i get it. But it's still weird as **** to me, and always has been. Also they could up the Male nudity but I feel we would still be debating the issue.

While the documentary isn't something you'd need to rush out to see, it had some fun moments. I wish we'd gotten more wrap scenes from actors beyond Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington, though. The Location Manager swearing up a storm was probably the best part.

Next to Conleth Hill slowly putting his script away when he read Varys' fate.

giphy.gif

While the documentary isn't something you'd need to rush out to see, it had some fun moments. I wish we'd gotten more wrap scenes from actors beyond Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington, though. The Location Manager swearing up a storm was probably the best part.

Next to Conleth Hill slowly putting his script away when he read Varys' fate.

giphy.gif
That is a perfect reaction.

We have seen multiple penises on this show and way too much of Jon's butt. :funny:

Still weird that people would have no problem watching extreme violence with their parents, but draw the line with simulated sex and ****, but ok I guess. Look everyone has their "line", fine i get it. But it's still weird as **** to me, and always has been. Also they could up the Male nudity but I feel we would still be debating the issue.
Actually, I don't care for a lot of the violence too. And I hate the gratuitous violence on animals. Did we really need to see a horse's leg get chopped off in season 7? And I really don't care for the rape at all. No need for it. And the actual violence towards the kids as well. In the books, they were just mentioned, and not actually shown. It comes down to the fact that the show runners are some sick individuals.

Actually, I don't care for a lot of the violence too. And I hate the gratuitous violence on animals. Did we really need to see a horse's leg get chopped off in season 7? And I really don't care for the rape at all. No need for it. And the actual violence towards the kids as well. In the books, they were just mentioned, and not actually shown. It comes down to the fact that the show runners are some sick individuals.

The books arent PG. Every bit of violence in the show is true to the books.

And no the showrunners arent sick individuals for showing the realities of this world. It comes down to the fact that this is a medieval world based heavily on the real medieval era. Sorry to say, but horses routinely got hurt in war. Children had difficult and deadly lives due to violence, starvation, and sickness. Rape and assault against women and even men was common and not seen as some great crime. Hell, rape was an accepted part of warfare and seen as a legitimate spoils of war.

This type of society doesnt operate on your 21st century morality.

Dany has said some messed up things, done some messed up things; that I accept. But I always saw her words as bravado.

They weren't.

and the fact that she was always talked down was evidence in itself that she never really had it in her to do what she did in The Bells.

Tell that to the people of Astapor, as much as they deserved it or not, she showed no mercy or quarter.

I keep coming back to the same scene that helps convince me that The Bells was a disgrace to her character; the fact that this woman locked up her children when she thought even just one innocent child was harmed.

A decision she came to regret. More vividly in the books when she says after Drogon saves her "You are the dragon and dragons do not plant." The show did a less vivid job of illustrating that change of perspective in a single moment, but her burning the khals and then telling their people that they'll help her "burn men in their iron suits and turn down their stone houses" was a big clue that she changed her mind. As was the fact she right afterward had the instinct of returning the cities of the other slave powers to "the dirt."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"