General Election 2020: Biden vs Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d think we’d be over clutching pearls about Biden’s gaffes by now.

What does this mean? Seriously, what does this mean? Also his use of African American as a stand in for black Americans. He does realize a big part of Latin people are black right?

The major issue I have with this is it is going to end up leading to him picking Harris because only Biden could figure out ways to alienate the black community the way he does. Even though you know, younger black people aren't Harris' biggest fans.
Actually... I think he might be speaking about an actual difference in demographics that is sometimes skipped over in discussion: because the bulk of black Americans are descended from slaves, there is a closer resemblance to homogeny in that demographic than among Mexican-Americans, Cuban-Americans, Guatemalan-Americans, Salvadoran-Americans, etc.

Latino/Hispanic/Latinx, as a demographic classification, I trying to group in over a dozen different nationalities and cultures that generally are keenly aware of their differences and unique identities. Speaking a common language and having a greater number of Catholics than other faiths does not equal a single identity. The Scots and English share a common language, are generally irreligious with a history of fierce Protestantism, and even occupy the same political union... and you still ain’t going to want to mix those two up.

You don’t want be the idiot who calls a Cubano a Mexican. And politically speaking, you’re better served to be aware of that difference.

You’d think we’d be over clutching pearls about Biden’s gaffes by now.

I'd like to hear his explanation. I think I know what he's trying to say, but I've gone beyond trying to interpret what he's saying. I felt the same way after he said "you ain't black".

I'd like to hear his explanation. I think I know what he's trying to say, but I've gone beyond trying to interpret what he's saying. I felt the same way after he said "you ain't black".

What he said wasn’t wrong, but it was imprudent to say on television.

LOL. Probably better if he "doesn't" try to explain himself.

Probably better if he doesn't remind people of that whole conversation.

As for this one, he could make the actual explanation that godisawesome posted.

Actually... I think he might be speaking about an actual difference in demographics that is sometimes skipped over in discussion: because the bulk of black Americans are descended from slaves, there is a closer resemblance to homogeny in that demographic than among Mexican-Americans, Cuban-Americans, Guatemalan-Americans, Salvadoran-Americans, etc.

Latino/Hispanic/Latinx, as a demographic classification, I trying to group in over a dozen different nationalities and cultures that generally are keenly aware of their differences and unique identities. Speaking a common language and having a greater number of Catholics than other faiths does not equal a single identity. The Scots and English share a common language, are generally irreligious with a history of fierce Protestantism, and even occupy the same political union... and you still ain’t going to want to mix those two up.

You don’t want be the idiot who calls a Cubano a Mexican. And politically speaking, you’re better served to be aware of that difference.

That's basically what I figured he was talking about.

That's a 14 second clip. We don't know what he said after that. Feels very clickbaity tweet.
Very possible. I hadn't considered that. Of course, the rest of it could have made it worse. LOL. Prolly not or we would have heard it.

And I would say this shows a poor understanding of both black and Latin culture and what it means to grow up in the US as either or both.

By the by, there are 54 African countries, all with their own culture which many black Americans identify with. There are 34 Latin countries and territories, many with black citizens. Beyond immigration, what growing up here shapes you. As someone whose the child of two Latin parents from two different Latin countries, one of which is black, I find this explanation to be really ****ty. Especially as in the process, it puts black Americans into a very specific box that many don't fit, while also playing up the otherness of Latinos, many of which like me who were born in America. Grew up in America, and identify as American.

And if you want to go further, bringing up the Scots and the English, you can apply that to the US very easily considering white folk who grows up California, Ohio, Alabama, Texas, New York, etc. are going to have vast cultural differences. You know who else that applies to? The people of color who grow up there as well.

Starting a petition to have Joe Biden's future interviews be him lip syncing things said by whoever runs his twitter account.

Can we just lock him in a basement and not have him do any interviews until after the election

And I would say this shows a poor understanding of both black and Latin culture and what it means to grow up in the US as either or both.

By the by, there are 54 African countries, all with their own culture which many black Americans identify with. There are 34 Latin countries and territories, many with black citizens. Beyond immigration, what growing up here shapes you. As someone whose the child of two Latin parents from two different Latin countries, one of which is black, I find this explanation to be really ****ty. Especially as in the process, it puts black Americans into a very specific box that many don't fit, while also playing up the otherness of Latinos, many of which like me who were born in America. Grew up in America, and identify as American.

And if you want to go further, bringing up the Scots and the English, you can apply that to the US very easily considering white folk who grows up California, Ohio, Alabama, Texas, New York, etc. are going to have vast cultural differences. You know who else that applies to? The people of color who grow up there as well.

I would say it is a result of most viewing the US as a country of immigrants. A lot of us can think of ourselves as [blank] american, with the blank being a specific country. Even ignoring that most slaves would not recognize the colonial division of Africa, the problem of slavery not having the best records for country of origin, especially once you got into generational slaves.

It is still a stupid thing to say, sure, because there are multiple cultures within this stupidly large nation, hell even within some states.

My apologies for my ignorance.

Ultimately, the “American” side of the “hyphenated-Americans” thing is all that really matters.

You know me, I try to be positive and not jump down Biden and other moderates' throats for well-meaning, but ill-considered remarks, but damn, that was stupid of him to say.

Even if he was trying to suggest that the descendants of black slaves had their languages and cultures stolen from them and were forced into the melting pot of being bought and sold like cattle, not all black Americans are the descendants of American slaves... Many are immigrants (or descended of immigrants) from other countries, whether they be in Africa or elsewhere. He only need look at his buddy, Barack, a true "African-American" in terms of being the child of an African immigrant, for that. On top of that you have a lot of black Americans of Caribbean descent, each coming from islands with distinct cultures, or some of which are of mixed black and Hispanic or South Asian descent (like many black Canadians I know).

On top of that, many different groups of black Americans of longstanding American slave descent have distinct cultures. Culture is defined by many things, like food, music, and other art (each of which are informed by distinct socio-economic and demographic influences). South Carolina BBQ is different from Kansas City or Memphis BBQ. New Orleans Jazz is different from Chicago Blues, which in turn is different from Mississippi Delta Blues or Motown. The experiences of Southern rural black Americans is different than those of urban Northern black Americans, etc.

200.gif

Joe Biden.

Schrodenger's Super Saiyajin.

Too frail to run or be president.

Yet also powerful enough to thwart the will of the God of the universe.

Reactionary Conservative Evangelical Libertrians... This is why we laugh at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"