The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Not to put to fine a point on it but what ever grievances he has the reality is without Star Wars he wouldn't have risen to prominence like he has.

I can empathise with his frustration for sure. But it's awful the way it comes across. He was the only one sidelined because of his race? Did he forget calling KMT weak because she left social media after receiving a barrage of racist death threats? And then for JJ to give legitimacy to those threats by sidelining her character? He also forgets the hate Daisy Ridley received for being the female protagonist. It wasn't her race, but her gender.

It just feels like this is all about him.

Last edited:
Well look Daisy Ridley's Rey is the focal point of the franchise and is a woman. Arguably that's very progressive, and Ridley had to endure a ton of backlash from fans, *****ing about being called a Mary Sue, etc.

It sounds like John is jealous he didn't get to be more of a focal point and didn't get to be a Jedi or Force wielder.

I can empathize with his frustrations sure. I would've wanted more from Finn as well. But I mean...that's not all on Disney.

I think the thing is, characters can get botched and sidelined in these types of movies all the time, regardless of race. Look what happened to freakin' Harrison Ford in Return of the Jedi

The guy who got a pretty good character arc in the first two movies, and ended up being one of if not the biggest scene stealer in them?

I find it hard to lump in Harrison Ford in ROTJ with John Boyega, the guy who essentially got botched and sidelined for an entire trilogy as opposed to just one film in an entire trilogy.

Also, some of you are showing that you didn't even read the full article from GQ UK. The article mentions that he's not just talking about his role, he's talking about Oscar Issac and KMT's roles as well, and he straight up says that they didn't know what to do with KMT either.

Last edited:
I read the article and I saw those parts but then he went on to say he was the only one whose experience with the franchise was unique because of his race and that he was the only one who received death threats on social media. The guy called KMT ****ing weak for leaving social media after the crap she went through. He's just on a tangent now.

The problem was that they gave Rey both the Jedi and Han Solo skill sets. She should only have had one and Finn the other, balance just a little balance goes a long way.

Well look Daisy Ridley's Rey is the focal point of the franchise and is a woman. Arguably that's very progressive, and Ridley had to endure a ton of backlash from fans, *****ing about being called a Mary Sue, etc.

It sounds like John is jealous he didn't get to be more of a focal point and didn't get to be a Jedi or Force wielder.

I can empathize with his frustrations sure. I would've wanted more from Finn as well. But I mean...that's not all on Disney.

This is the inherent problem with mentality coming out of Hollywood at the moment - nothing is ever going to be good enough. It just isn't. It can't by it's very nature because too many different groups of people are wanting the same thing. More exposure, more screen time, greater creative control, etc. It's an unworkable situation that is only ever going to result in bad decisions being made, and ultimately end up costing people money.

The problem was that they gave Rey both the Jedi and Han Solo skill sets. She should only have had one and Finn the other, balance just a little balance goes a long way.
Agreed. That too me was a big mistake. Poe had a Wedge/Lando type of role. Finn should've had the Han role and it seemed like it was heading that way but instead they gave that to Rey as well and just left Finn in the dust. Because they also made it seem like Finn and Rey had a Han & Leia type relationship but that was handled poorly as well.

Them trying to shove the three of them into a Luke/Han/Leia type threesome friendship in TROS felt really forced considering Rey and Poe literally didn't even know each other in the previous two movies.

It says a lot about the people running Lucas film that no-one even questioned the fact the our supposed new trinity of characters didn't share the screen together until the last movie.

The guy who got a pretty good character arc in the first two movies, and ended up being one of if not the biggest scene stealer in them?

I find it hard to lump in Harrison Ford in ROTJ with John Boyega, the guy who essentially got botched and sidelined for an entire trilogy as opposed to just one film in an entire trilogy.

It's not directly comparable, fair-- but my point is if it can happen to Harrison Ford, it can happen to anyone on these movies.

I mean what about R2D2? Talk about being sidelined for a whole trilogy with the ST.

I'm just uncomfortable with the implication that his character being not handled well is inherently a race issue. I don't want to be insensitive to what he went through, because I did read the whole article and I really do sympathize. But it can...just be a writing issue. I mean, really...the character of Finn was not specified as having any race in the script originally. I still think he's a weak character in TFA even on paper.

I understand and respect that Boyega is frustrated with how his character was handled, but he's starting to say some contradictory things now. For him to paint JJ as a white knight here, while at the same time complaining about Kelly Marie Tran getting the shaft doesn't add up. Johnson created that character, cast KMT, and gave her a fairly big role. Then TROS happened.

If he feels that he's been done personally wrong and wants to directly call out Johnson, then perhaps he should? Otherwise I really don't know what to make of the whole blaming Disney thing, because it comes off like he's just upset and doesn't really know who to blame. I can understand blaming them for how he was marketed in TFA with the lightsaber and everything, but other than that it rings a bit hollow.

I’d still like to know why he’s so soft on J.J when it comes to his character getting misused. At least Last Jedi gave him a completed arc and even gave him his own section of the film with a good amount of screen time (even if admittedly it wasn’t a popular one). TROS gave him pretty much nothing.

I’d still like to know why he’s so soft on J.J when it comes to his character getting misused. At least Last Jedi gave him a completed arc and even gave him his own section of the film with a good amount of screen time (even if admittedly it wasn’t a popular one). TROS gave him pretty much nothing.

REEEYYYYYYY

I was with him until he started praising J.J. Abrams. Sure maybe Johnson didn't leave the franchise in the most exciting place but Abrams' TROS felt so hollow and Finn had nothing to do besides chasing Rey again :o

I’d guess he’s biased in Abrams’ favor because he worked with him first on TFA and the cast seemed to get along/bond with JJ more than with Johnson.

I remember reading somewhere that John and Daisy didn't like TLJ because they were separated. Such a shame when grown professionals can't play with their friends...

I mean, have you seen Rian in interviews? He seems like such a dweeb. JJ seems much more like a regular person.

I think Boyega wasn't built for Star Wars. Moreso than maybe any other big franchise it's just a beast to be a part of. At least it seems like it.

He also just seems maybe he's not meant for/a fan of being in a big production when even your off camera stuff is going to be so watched.

I remember in an interview he was complaining about how some SW fans were complaining about him going to Carnival and grinding (or "catching whines") on women. Which is part of the culture there.

Seems like he should just stick to smaller productions...but even then I'm not sure he's good enough to live in that realm (same with Daisy Ridley honestly but I've only seen her in SW). I've never been impressed with any of his performances. Even in Imperial Dreams or Detroit. Looking forward to that Steve McQueen show tho
Also, some of you are showing that you didn't even read the full article from GQ UK. The article mentions that he's not just talking about his role, he's talking about Oscar Issac and KMT's roles as well, and he straight up says that they didn't know what to do with KMT either.

Of course they didn't. Some just saw a headline about someone complaining about race or something political and rushed to get pissy and downplay the racial/socio elements that are there. ANd some just plain didn't read it for whatever reason.

As you said he clearly mentions KMT and Isaac. You don't even have to read the full article, in the excerpt I featured it mentioned both of them. He also said how Star Wars was an "amazing opportunity" so I don't get why anyone is trying to son him by saying "without SW he wouldn't have risen to prominence like he has." He knows that and acknowledged that. And even if he didn't so what? Your job pays you so you can afford to live and I'm sure you complain about that. Robert Pattinson wouldn't be where he was without freaking Twilight and he complains about that too. Nothing wrong with that or reason why that needed to be stated.

Anywho: sorry but it's weird, intentional or not, that you try and show how you're about diversity and then most of your POCs and non "conventionally" attractive women are written to the side, not given even a chance of a good arc.

Well JJ did give him his big break. He had Attack the Block before but this is what really pushed him. I can see him being more lenient with JJ because of that. And his arc in TFA was fine I thought. And with TLJ as you said he had a lot of screentime but most agree that it was some of the weaker parts of the movie. Not all screen time is good screen time maybe? But yeah they ****ed that all up in TROS. As they did with literally everybody

I remember reading somewhere that John and Daisy didn't like TLJ because they were separated. Such a shame when grown professionals can't play with their friends...
Never read this, but weird thing to get snarky at them for. They built a bond and were expecting to spend time together. So they disliked the project they didn't get to spend time on. That's not really that out there and really has nothing to do with being "grown professionals." People want to spend time with their friends and have less fun of a time without their friends. It's not that out there of thinking.
Besides I never read that so idk if it's true. But even if that is, they made a good amount of other complaints about TLJ so that wasn't their only issue.

Last edited:
Wait hold on heh heh heh. I looked up what Daisy Ridley's next movie is gonna be
Chaos Walking (film) - Wikipedia
I knew this had been pushed back a lot, but I feel like this is the first time I read its premise
In the near future, Todd Hewitt has been brought up to believe that a pathogen has killed all women in a colony world and unleashed Noise, the special ability to hear people's and animals' minds. Later, he comes upon a patch of silence and soon discovers the source of the silence: a mysterious woman named Viola Eade – the first he has ever met. On the run, they learn more about the true history of the New World.

Yikes

Boyega wasn’t kidding when awhile back he said things would come to light lol

I do disagree with him though in regards to Rey & Kylo. They had no idea what to do with those characters either.

This entire clusterf*** of a trilogy was a huge mess for not going in with an idea about where the story goes and what to do with the new characters they created for these last 3 movies. The blame falls equally on Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson, Disney, etc.

I still find it childish to dislike a movie that you're being paid millions to star in because you can't pal around with your buddy.

Even if John mentioned KMT in the interview, it felt like lip service and just bringing her name into it so his venting didn't feel so self serving. But it was. His complaints were that he was the only one who experienced racism, even though he called KMT weak before when she experienced it and said to just shrug it off and not take it personally. But noooow it's different. I don't doubt he experienced racism, but he's made it all about him. Again.

I still find it childish to dislike a movie that you're being paid millions to star in because you can't pal around with your buddy.
DO you actually have a link or source for that's the primary reason they disliked the movie? Or are you just starting rumors.

And again it's really not a childish or weird concept to become attached to someone you work with and wanting to keep working with that person. It's not like they quit over it or anything like that. Again, people want to spend time with their friends :shrug:

EDIT: This is what I found that is anything similar to that.
Finn’s character arc in this new Star Wars trilogy has tracked his journey to break away from the conformity of the First Order Stormtroopers and discover his own identity. However, the follow-up film The Last Jedi sidetracked that character progression, much to the chagrin of fans and Boyea himself.

The Force Awakens I think was the beginning of something quite solid, The Last Jedi if I'm being honest I'd say that was feeling a bit iffy for me,” Boyega says. “I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of the choices in that and that's something that spoke to Mark [Hamill] a lot about and we had conversations about it. And it was hard for all of us, because we were separated.

“I guess the original Star Wars films there was much more of a trio feel where it was essentially about Luke's journey, but Han and Leia there was a strong dynamic, which I think, I don't know how quickly we're going to be able to establish that longterm dynamic with [Episode] Nine. But if it's exploring that dynamic, then that would be cool,” he notes. “I do feel even after three films still, we don't know them as much as we got to know Han, Luke, Leia. And maybe that's a great opportunity to get to know them a little bit more.”
John Boyega Is on His Own Hero’s Journey

Last edited:
Boyega wasn’t kidding when awhile back he said things would come to light lol

I do disagree with him though in regards to Rey & Kylo. They had no idea what to do with those characters either.

This entire clusterf*** of a trilogy was a huge mess for not going in with an idea about where the story goes and what to do with the new characters they created for these last 3 movies. The blame falls equally on Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson, Disney, etc.
Idk how much i blame Johnson or JJ. Because they were given free reign...for whatever reason. I still blame Kennedy and Disney for not reeling them in and having a roadmap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"