The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Rian Johnson didn't care about anything except his movie.

He wanted to make Kylo a misunderstood bad boy and hook him up with Rey, and he did, even if it didn't make sense.

Rian Johnson didn't care about anything except his movie.

He wanted to make Kylo a misunderstood bad boy and hook him up with Rey, and he did, even if it didn't make sense.

It didn't make sense to you. That doesn't mean others interpret it the same way. Given the popularity of the Reylo pairing, it would seem that RJ wasn't alone in his idea about their romance. And JJ was the one who had them kiss at the end of TROS, not Rian.

And like BatLobster said, the enemies to lovers trope has been around for a very very long time, for a reason.

even setting aside whether or not I like the ST (very mixed on them), it never ceases to amuse me how pissed off and offended some of the TLJ's detractors get over a movie. It's hilarious, honestly.

It's sad when one of the ST cast has a birthday, the Star Wars twitter account sends a shout out, and the comments end up being "TLJ was the worst movie ever."

I feel like those people are probably universally hated in real life by everyone around them.

It's sad when one of the ST cast has a birthday, the Star Wars twitter account sends a shout out, and the comments end up being "TLJ was the worst movie ever."

I feel like those people are probably universally hated in real life by everyone around them.
oh yeah, absolutely. I honestly can't think of any redeeming qualities of a person like that.

They are the main reason my approach to Star Wars is that while I still love Star Wars, I don't grow attached to it anymore. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's made it so that those peoples toxic attitudes have no effect on me.

oh yeah, absolutely. I honestly can't think of any redeeming qualities of a person like that.

They are the main reason my approach to Star Wars is that while I still love Star Wars, I don't grow attached to it anymore. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's made it so that those peoples toxic attitudes have no effect on me.

Out of the 9 movies, which one did you enjoy the most?

Out of the 9 movies, which one did you enjoy the most?
Empire Strikes Back is the one I rewatch the most. It's a masterpiece in my mind, and I just love it so much. I'm honestly a fan of the prequels too, but nothing beats the OT.

Empire Strikes Back is the one I rewatch the most. It's a masterpiece in my mind, and I just love it so much. I'm honestly a fan of the prequels too, but nothing beats the OT.

I always watched the OT with my dad and ESB is the one he also enjoys the most, but I went the most obsessive over Revenge of the Sith. I can't explain why.

I always watched the OT with my dad and ESB is the one he also enjoys the most, but I went the most obsessive over Revenge of the Sith. I can't explain why.
Revenge of the sith is great, honestly. It's easily my favorite of the prequels and the score is phenomenal.

even setting aside whether or not I like the ST (very mixed on them), it never ceases to amuse me how pissed off and offended some of the TLJ's detractors get over a movie. It's hilarious, honestly.

The intense reactions to TLJ will probably mystify me to all the way to my grave.

It's totally fine to not like a movie, but it really was the first time I witnessed people put so much energy into it and dedicate their entire online presence (and identity?) to hating a movie on such a mass scale. Sign of the times we're in I guess, but it will never *not* be weird and sad to me.

At the same time, I also roll my eyes at the blue checks who will unironically rank TLJ above Empire Just...c'mon. It's a good movie, but it's reaching when you start comparing any modern Star Wars to the OT imo. It's not a level playing field there. I don't know if it's just to spite the haters or they really feel that way, but The Empire Strikes Back is in a class of its own. The first two films are untouchable IMO. There's nothing else in the franchise firing all cylinders in the way those two films revolutionized cinema, created Star Wars as we know it, while also functioning as masterclasses in filmmaking and storytelling. It's hard to compete with a perfect storm.

At the same time, I also roll my eyes at the blue checks who will unironically rank TLJ above Empire Just...c'mon. It's a good movie, but it's reaching when you start comparing any modern Star Wars to the OT imo. It's not a level playing field there. I don't know if it's just to spite the haters or they really feel that way, but The Empire Strikes Back is in a class of its own. The first two films are untouchable IMO. There's nothing else in the franchise firing all cylinders in the way those two films revolutionized cinema, created Star Wars as we know it, while also functioning as masterclasses in filmmaking and storytelling. It's hard to compete with a perfect storm.

There have only been two truly great Star Wars movies, and they happen to be the first two that were made. That might sound like a really negative thing to say, but yeah, that initial one-two punch is just unbeatable. And recognizing that doesn't change my overall affection for the series, even when it hurts me, haha. You could call it a failure that no one's been able to best Empire after 40 years, but ideally it ought to free one up from feeling like they have to achieve some unattainable goal. You'll never be as iconic and beloved as the OT, so it's a mistake to even try.

Empire is a masterpiece in action adventure filmmaking, and no Star Wars film will ever top it.
And while I personally prefer Return of the Jedi to New Hope, I understand why people consider New Hope the better film.

TLJ is a very very flawed, but very interesting film to me. A lot of it doesn't really work, but the pieces that do are absolutely fantastic.

It gets worse.
On another forum - I'm not naming it, because in some cases it isn't allowed - I was accused of racism because I happened to mention Ben Solo in a thread dedicated to Finn.

People take these films very seriously, and if, like me, you're a fan of the character played so well by Adam Driver you can expect to be called anything from a fascist to a supporter of the abuse of women (I'm a woman myself).

As someone on the autistic syndrome, I understand how films and comics can mean a lot to people - we need a fantasy world to escape into - but it genuinely disturbs me how much can be assumed about a person's character simply because of a romantic 'ship', or the fictional characters they like.

A lot of people I know are huge fans of Heath Ledger's marvellous Joker in the Dark Knight - but none of them are knife wielding psychopaths with a fondness of blowing up things!

There have only been two truly great Star Wars movies, and they happen to be the first two that were made. That might sound like a really negative thing to say, but yeah, that initial one-two punch is just unbeatable. And recognizing that doesn't change my overall affection for the series, even when it hurts me, haha. You could call it a failure that no one's been able to best Empire after 40 years, but ideally it ought to free one up from feeling like they have to achieve some unattainable goal. You'll never be as iconic and beloved as the OT, so it's a mistake to even try.

Well said-- I love Star Wars as a whole. The franchise has given me a lot of joy over the years, from the movies, books, games, TV shows, the whole thing.

But the first two films are just on their own tier of quality. It would not be a multi-billion dollar franchise nearly half a century later if not for that one-two punch that changed the game. That's not to say nothing should try to reach those levels, but I just think the OT has the benefit of being the simplest, purest version of the initial idea.

They had a magic formula that clicked - likeable, charismatic newbies, a touch of olde world dignity and experience in Cushing and Guiness, but most of all they were unique. Star Wars is galactic fantasy, a LOTR style story of good versus evil only set in space.

What was truly refreshing for its time was that instead of the battle between good and evil individuals it was at heart the timeless battle between good and evil in the hearts of individuals. The stunning reveal of who Darth Vader truly was plus the hero winning by throwing his weapon away ...totally unexpected.
And I'm sorry but you can hate Rian Johnson all you like...but of all the films TFA might have seemed the most like the originals but TLJ had the heart, with the exception of Han Solo's death.

To me the ST are essentially homages. Not that it's an entirely bad thing.

Star Wars itself was an homage to pulp science fantasy, saturday morning serials and ancient mythology. The thing was it combined those influences into something that felt original and elevated.

By the time we get to the ST, Star Wars is riffing on itself. It's just a different thing. I can appreciate that TLJ maybe came the closest to capturing the spirit of the originals, while TFA and TROS feel a bit more superficial in their homage, but even TLJ cannot escape the fact that it's largely a homage. Even in the choice to subvert expectations wherever it could, it's still coming from a place of what feels like intense self-awareness of being the middle chapter in a Star Wars trilogy. Not that I blame Johnson for taking that into consideration.

My point is that sometimes you just can't recapture lightning in a bottle. The PT, to its credit, didn't really try and just tried to be its own thing. The ST, from its very inception, was trying to recapture the OT. For better and for worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"