He-man Sequel Series (Netflix)

I find it a bit funny that when people complain about this show, you often get a response with "the original was a glorified toy commercial!".. yes, so? Its not like that has changed a lot. I saw that they released a action-figure line based on this show just recently. It is still a toy commercial show. But it had unlikeable characters, the storytelling was weak, and it pretty much only had decent animation going for it. Its not hard to make female characters interesting and cool without making them unlikeable. Also, you dont have to make the men complete wimps who keep saying how sorry they are to exist, just because you want to focus on female characters. There are tons of comics,animated series, etc that have managed to do that a lot better than what they did with this series.

The "kevin smith as a saviour" thing I have a bit hard to understand. Guy hasn't really written anything decent in years. Cant remember the last time I thought something he wrote/directed was smart. Possibly like his Green Arrow run and that must be 20 years ago.

I find it a bit funny that when people complain about this show, you often get a response with "the original was a glorified toy commercial!".. yes, so? Its not like that has changed a lot. I saw that they released a action-figure line based on this show just recently. It is still a toy commercial show. But it had unlikeable characters, the storytelling was weak, and it pretty much only had decent animation going for it. Its not hard to make female characters interesting and cool without making them unlikeable. Also, you dont have to make the men complete wimps who keep saying how sorry they are to exist, just because you want to focus on female characters. There are tons of comics,animated series, etc that have managed to do that a lot better than what they did with this series.

The "kevin smith as a saviour" thing I have a bit hard to understand. Guy hasn't really written anything decent in years. Cant remember the last time I thought something he wrote/directed was smart. Possibly like his Green Arrow run and that must be 20 years ago.

The highlighted is a figment of your imagination and will among anyone reasonable make any criticism, perhaps even valid one come under suspicion of bad faith from the giddyup.

This is a silly take.

Be resentful someone thinks that about your opinion all you want.

You had your say.

I and I guess many others just find it silly.

I read your post really carefully, and no, My take is valid and something that is shared by quite a few it seems.

I had my say? :D

I read your post really carefully, and no, My take is valid and something that is shared by quite a few it seems.

I had my say? :D
Well...

Your say is disingenous and untrue and frankly a paranoid figment of your imagination since I doubt you can point to any moment in the show where any male character in any way shape or form was written to apologize for their existence.

It's nowhere in the show.

It's, point blank, a lie.

And...

People that promote, tell or spead lies are...

Liars.

This isn't a question of difference of opinion. You literally just made something out of whole clothe for your own, in my guess, Right Wing Paranoid delusions of being targeted.

For a fan of He-Man, you seem like you missed out on all the moral lessons the show laid out at the end of each episode.

In the 3 episodes i watched, it reduced the male characters to weak side characters and whacked a main character twice. Also Man of Arms story was hilarious. While doing that they managed to make all the female characters annoying. To be fair, both all the men and all the women were equally annoying, just for different reasons.

Also "Krypton INC" , "You had your say" and "right wing paranoid delusions", is this generally how you speak to people you dont know or dont agree with?

I was not looking forward to this mainly because Kevin Smith has been suboptimal and inconsistent in his recent projects(Tusk was complete crap for example) and clearly the marketing for this was misleading and dumb.

Nonetheless I was pleasantly surprised by the storyline and the interesting take and twists. There are some problems with the writing and Teela’s reaction to some of the reveals was crap tbh and juvenile. However I really like the conflict of tech and magic and the world building involved. It is so awesome so far to see the dimensions and environments created so far. Action scenes particularly with Man-At-Arms are really entertaining and what I imagined a live action-like take could be

I am quite disappointed though in the **** marketing and the lack of He-man though. I really do hope we see more but I am so far liking the story. Overall 7-8/10 so far

Smith said it was Netflix’s decision

It was a stupid decision IMO if the idea was to showcase more Adam/He-Man in Part 2 that maybe could've managed some more of these schmucks on YouTube and social media and curbed a lot of the outrage.

But oh well, schmucks will be schmucks as they say.

If the whole Shebang was released a few months hence instead I wouldn't have minded.

What would be a reason for the release being like this?

If the whole Shebang was released a few months hence instead I wouldn't have minded.

Maybe they were trying to do things like the Boys or Disney plus shows? Bulk up front now and then a few eps here and there later?

Respectfully...its hard to accept your take when the story and what they have presented us is not done. It's pretty obvious this is a set up for the hero to comeback. Multiple forms of entertainment have told stories in this same manner, I don't get these kind of takes.
Respectfully I don't care about what's setting it up because the set up has been garbage, there are ways to do this kind of story without butchering the characters, a sadist yet this chose the way that sidelined Adam, made Teela nothing but unlikable and gave Skeletor such an incredibly dumb motivation.

Skeletor's motivation was as simple as it's always been.

So silly and obtuse as an observation.

He wants power to rule.

This is different to the previous thirty years, because...?

He wants power to rule.

Yea I didn't get that, so Skeletor is not be evil!?!?

I want him to be renamed Skillator. Show his various skills and talents in arts and crafts. Have him be a kind step brother to a now dead He-Man. Have him be kind to others and be the main protagonist

He wants power to rule.

Skeletor never needed a motivation, in the original he's evil because he likes it and thats works for him

Here they made Skeletor's motivation into him being mad he can't get a girlfriend, they literally made Skeletor's motivation into him being an incel.

Respectfully I don't care about what's setting it up because the set up has been garbage, there are ways to do this kind of story without butchering the characters, a sadist yet this chose the way that sidelined Adam, made Teela nothing but unlikable and gave Skeletor such an incredibly dumb motivation.

Oh please do tell how you can do it, because i would love to hear more of you then the empty buzz words you seem to copy and paste from a certain group of...well i dont want to say fans.
Because so far all you brought to the discussion was throwing out empty buzzwords and when people challenged those, you complained that you can have an opinion...as if that was ever the problem.

The show literally adresses easy to understand why Adam was "sidelined", why Teela is "unlikeable".

But please, i would like to hear your "better" version of this.

Skeletor never needed a motivation, in the original he's evil because he likes it and thats works for him
Here they made Skeletor's motivation into him being mad he can't get a girlfriend, they literally made Skeletor's motivation into him being an incel.

Ehm even then he had more motivation, i get the feeling you only base it on this video and not by actually watching the show or looking into the official expanded lore.
Its such a weird concept to find "im evil just because" a better motivation than the character actually wanting something of value.

If you're just be condescending this entire time and look down on why do or don't like things then I have no reason to respond to you.

I honestly thought Skeletor was being sarcastic when he said that.

If you're just be condescending this entire time and look down on why do or don't like things then I have no reason to respond to you.

Again, you do everything in the playbook except answering simple questions that should be easy to answer...why?
You are so hellbent on standing by what you think is valid criticism but you can not even move one step forward to defend it.

You just come in here, throw stuff out expecting people to either praise you or just let go...but when people push back, you play the victim or anything.
How about simply answering my questions, shouldnt be very hard.

I mean just the simply thing abou Skeletors motivation...even in the earliest version the characters motivation was based on him being attached to his Race and wanting to gain power to open a portal so his race could invade Eternia.
Later in the Lore it was changed to him being the Brother of King Randor, wanting power because he felt he was the Rightful Heir.
In the cartoon one of his goals was to take revenge on Hordak.

So i wonder what He-Man material you exactly have followed to make your claim about Skeletor motivation...because not once was his Motivation just "because im evil".

I just watched it. I honestly have 1 gripe: not releasing the whole thing in 1 go. 5 episodes isn't much. But I get it. It keeps buzz around the show going longer. Though given the internet backlash I have seen for months, maybe not the smartest play.

But this show is awesome so far and I cannot wait to see how Part 2 goes. As far as the complaints, I get the disappointment many will have. But I am judging the actual product and not what I wanted out of it. The show itself for Part 1 was very well written, great characters, and I got very emotionally invested in the story. This truly felt like an epic.

I've never seen anything He-Man related and know next to nothing about the series. The trailer looked dope so I was sold on watching it. I will say the animation and music are on point. Teela's voice... I didn't like at all. In fact, I was not crazy about the character at all. Right off the bat her reaction about He-Man just felt... not very mature lol. And still being mad towards the end of the last episode... ehh. Idk.

I guess I went in wanting to see He-Man and Skeletor... and I definitely didn't get it. I will check out the next part before i throw in the towel.

I don't think it's as terrible as some made it out to be, but it wasn't what I hoped for either. I can see why some have compared it to The Last Jedi.

I'll preference this by saying that I'm a gen-xer who watched a bit of He-man back in the day, though, I was much more of a G.I.Joe , Transformers, and Thundercats kid.

I have pretty vague memories of the original show beyond what become part of pop culture.
Of course, I did see the He-Man movie with my class back in 1987 ,like alot of kids did then.

I've also been a fan of SMJ since Buffy in the 90s.

All that said, I only got through the first episode and really wasn't all that impressed in general. Overall, i'd give the premiere a C.

As for the Teela thing, I was actually rooting for Teela when she stuck up for her father, but when she turned around and bashed Adam/He-Man, that was a turn off.

Going that extra yard with Teela's insult after He-Man sacrifice , I think, was a creative mistake, and probably turned off alot of fans when that was the time get the audience to rally around her character.

So right there, they started off on the wrong foot imo.

Since I wasn't super excited by the pilot anyway, I stopped there.

I know there are those who enjoyed it, and this is a TLJ like polarizing fan issue, but I wasn't all that impressed really.

The He-Man kerfuffle does remind of TLJ, in the sense that alot of the people who seem to like the Netflix show ,are removed from the generation who grew up with the original 80s version so they're more likely to be open to new interpretations of it.

In other words, alot them seem quite a bit younger and probably don't have the same preconceived notions of the characters and the old myths.

And that's okay. We all come to these properties from different perspectives.

The ones who actually grew up in the 80s with it tend to be much more against it, and have much bigger issues with it. So , it's a generation divide , which often happens with these properties.

I grew up watching the 80s show, so that doesn't apply to me really. I was prob mostly a Transformers kid as far as 80s cartoons go, but I watched a fair amount of the big 4 of He-Man, GI Joe, Thundercats, and Transformers. Before moving on to Batman and X-Men and Power Rangers later on.

But yeah, as someone who did watch the show, I enjoyed it. But I can see TLJ comparisons. For the record, I also liked TLJ and I don't shy away from that opinion

To shore up Netflix's anemic line up. They need one headline release a month. Netflix's release schedule is showing signs of where the pandemic slowed things down.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to make that one line his entire motivation.

I grew up watching the 80s show, so that doesn't apply to me really. I was prob mostly a Transformers kid as far as 80s cartoons go, but I watched a fair amount of the big 4 of He-Man, GI Joe, Thundercats, and Transformers. Before moving on to Batman and X-Men and Power Rangers later on.

But yeah, as someone who did watch the show, I enjoyed it. But I can see TLJ comparisons. For the record, I also liked TLJ and I don't shy away from that opinion

I love TLJ, but I do see legitimate criticisms of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"