He-man Sequel Series (Netflix)

Of course its mainly the "buhu SJW/Woke" crowd...because of the problem that this is an IP from a different time.
Your Audience is what was the youth in the 80s, not the youth around the 2000s that is far more open minded etc.
You create something for a small minded, short sighted audience that is stuck in time and for some reason has very fragile egos.
Thats the problem when you tackle IPs like that.
We have seen it all with She-Ra, so its not really a surprise.

One thing I will say is that in the 1980s, He-Man would always have moral messages that are arguably very "woke." The Filmation cartoon had messages about treating people with kindness for respect. Not judging others by how they look or may appear. Not being prejudice. In other words, the fans who are showing outrage today are ignoring the things the original cartoon preached and taught. The Filmation cartoon was purposefully made to be very sanitized and non-violent so they could sell it to more kids and syndication outlets. And they had to make it very moral so if they had a cartoon it was teaching goods strong moral lessons. In other words the show was purposefully made to have strong social and moral issues and lessons being taught to children back in the 1980s.

I wouldnt say no to Andra getting a Girlfriend, but not Teela because im all for Teela/Adam on the shipper front.

Andra I wouldn't see the problem. She was a minor throwaway character from the comics. Like a bit part. She never had a fleshed out character or personality. Never had her own toy. This is really the biggest role she's ever had in MOTU. So her being LGQBTQ shouldn't be a big deal. She was never a major character beforehand with many aspects.

Now, of course I would prefer Adam (and/or He-Man) and Teela as I always felt that was the main pairing of the lore. Not sure that's the direction the show is going but we'll see.

Correctomundo. While I understand that Kevin Smith cant spoil stuff months before a series opens, him responding, several times to a youtube -channel, and being all "NAA ! NAA! THIS WONT HAPPEN NOT TRUE" is most likely also a big part of what cause the criticism. Smith has himself to blame for this partially.

I also find it funny, that a guy like Smith, who spent years moaning and whining about Hollywood, Comic Book films and Stars Wars, is now all "If you don't like something don't talk about it!". It doesn't work that way. Nobody needs to openly accept everything Hollywood does and produces, since a huge chunk of it is complete garbage. Disliking a show or how it portrays characters does not make a person "alt right".

I can agree with this. Didn't this dude make fun of George Lucas and the prequels throughout the 2000s? Now he's telling people if you don't like something, not to say anything at all? Lol. It's kinda funny.

And yeah, when you're telling everyone "that's not going to happen" and then it does (so far) it kinda makes you look like a liar lol. Which isn't that the whole reason Teela was mad at He-Man?

And I do think a lot of this could have been avoided if he just didn't say anything. And let it come out on its own.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first five episodes. Mainly because i was looking forward to seeing He Man & Skeletor. That's what the trailer made it seem like. And then I just wasn't crazy about Teela.

I will finish watching the rest of the episodes tho. It does have me intrigued enough to finish it.

Again, I'm going to respond someone who's gonna be this blatantly condescending.

I dont see how you could respond, since "your" "opinion" is just you wanting to be a part of the outrage culture.
You cant argue with using the lore because from the both of us, i have actually knowledge on Revelations or anything else He-Man, so you cant make up stuff like you did with skeltors motivation.

And you cant defend any of your points because you built your "opinion" not on having watched the material, but instead of the twitter complaining of the material.
So you have no real connection to any of your arguments to defend them farther than throwing them out.

So of course you have to save face some other way.
Thats fine, but you could at least have the decency to admit that you havent really looked into any of this and that you are just here because you just want to be part of the outrage.

One thing I will say is that in the 1980s, He-Man would always have moral messages that are arguably very "woke." The Filmation cartoon had messages about treating people with kindness for respect. Not judging others by how they look or may appear. Not being prejudice. In other words, the fans who are showing outrage today are ignoring the things the original cartoon preached and taught. The Filmation cartoon was purposefully made to be very sanitized and non-violent so they could sell it to more kids and syndication outlets. And they had to make it very moral so if they had a cartoon it was teaching goods strong moral lessons. In other words the show was purposefully made to have strong social and moral issues and lessons being taught to children back in the 1980s.

Yup, its the same with pretty much all...especially comics.
They were always what is nowadays considered "woke".

The whole captain america outrage the past month were a good example.
Where people actually claimed they would go back only reading the old comics because they werent woke, since "new" captain America isnt a big fan of the american government.
But the reality is that Captain America during his whole run was constantly at odds with the American Government...the character despite flaws of its time etc was always "Woke"...same as 99% of every other comic book character.

He-Man is no different.

Andra I wouldn't see the problem. She was a minor throwaway character from the comics. Like a bit part. She never had a fleshed out character or personality. Never had her own toy. This is really the biggest role she's ever had in MOTU. So her being LGQBTQ shouldn't be a big deal. She was never a major character beforehand with many aspects.

Now, of course I would prefer Adam (and/or He-Man) and Teela as I always felt that was the main pairing of the lore. Not sure that's the direction the show is going but we'll see.

Yeah, as much as i like LGBT representation...in this case Teela/Adam needs to be canon in the show.
Its been a while but in a 2015 mini comic series they were King and Queen and had a son named Dare/He-Ro...so it will be interesting to see what they do.

I dont see how you could respond, since "your" "opinion" is just you wanting to be a part of the outrage culture.
You just continue to prove my point.
All you do is put words in my mouth, talk down to me and tell me I'm not allowed to dislike something without having an agenda.
And if that's all you're going to do, stop responding to what I say because I'm just going to ignore you and your replies.

Basically you just repeated the same thing, that I because she has emotions I can't find her behavior unlikable and shouldn't have a problem with her actions.
What about this makes her unlikable to you?

And all they've ever said it was a direct continuation of the original series so I'd like to see where they walked backed on this claim.
Before the show's release:

Kevin Smith promises Masters of the Universe: Revelation won't ruin your childhood

Smith says when Mattel Television’s EP/VP of Content, Rob David, and Netflix’s Ted Biaselli brought him on to Revelation, his only marching orders were not to make fun of the old show and characters and to give this new series real stakes. “These were Ted’s words: 'Treat him like Shakespeare,'" Smith recalls. “And I was like, ‘Oh my God, I couldn't have been given better marching orders. I can't write Shakespeare, but I can write Fake-speare!’ You know what I'm saying, and put it in the mouths of these cartoon characters, so they sound quality, important. I love that my parameters were, like, 'don't reinvent this, just make a spiritual sequel.'"

Bez-tytu-u.png

Lol

As someone who didn’t grow up with He-Man and has zero opinion on the quality of the project, all I’ll say is they must’ve done their job because this is the most relevant He-Man has been since the 80s in terms of just being talked about again!

Not gonna lie, I was surprised at how much my last rewatch of She-ra boosted my interest in MOTU in general. Still dreaded this, because Kevin Smith and Powerhouse, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. And now, I am hopeful for the CG cartoon. I've seen some pics of toys and got an idea of the designs, and I think it will be fun.

Lol

As someone who didn’t grow up with He-Man and has zero opinion on the quality of the project, all I’ll say is they must’ve done their job because this is the most relevant He-Man has been since the 80s in terms of just being talked about again!
This is true.

I’m still iffy on the art style for it, but I’ll give it a fair chance
It definitely cut some corners, but overall it worked for me. I hope it works for you. :up:

What about this makes her unlikable to you?
I've already said it, I fail to see the point in repeating myself.
Before the show's release:
And yet every piece advertising calls it a direct sequel, so it's either more bait and switch or someone's lying again.
And the show expects us to know the characters and their relationships based on the 80's series, so regardless of whether it's a a direct sequel or not that means they still expect us to know Teela as someone previously always looked down on Adam and considered him a coward, and if they're relationship is supposed to be different they've done nothing at all to show that.

I've already said it, I fail to see the point in repeating myself.

And yet every piece advertising calls it a direct sequel, so it's either more bait and switch or someone's lying again.
And the show expects us to know the characters and their relationships based on the 80's series, so regardless of whether it's a a direct sequel or not that means they still expect us to know Teela as someone previously always looked down on Adam and considered him a coward, and if they're relationship is supposed to be different they've done nothing at all to show that.
That right there is a piece of advertising.

The first episode shows the dynamics between Teela and Adam. All the episodes do.

It's the point of the flashbacks.

You just continue to prove my point.
All you do is put words in my mouth, talk down to me and tell me I'm not allowed to dislike something without having an agenda.
And if that's all you're going to do, stop responding to what I say because I'm just going to ignore you and your replies.

I continue to prove what said before.
I have not said anything you havent made clear.
You are the one who comes barging in here throwing his opinion around like a fact, when questioned to elaborate or so you get snippy or like here, you make up the claim that anybody forbade you to dislike it.
All people ask is to elaborate with more than Buzzwords that simply sound like you wrote them down from a certain Social Media group and less your own.

so regardless of whether it's a a direct sequel or not that means they still expect us to know Teela as someone previously always looked down on Adam and considered him a coward, and if they're relationship is supposed to be different they've done nothing at all to show that.

Never has Teela ever looked down on Adam, neither in the shows nor the comics...i dont see how you can think that watching any He-Man material.
And in 5 episodes the show did a good enough job to tell you the nature of their Relationship, which in turn shows you quite well why Teelas behaviour is how it is.
The show does all the work, the only thing it demands of you is to pay attention.

You might not like what you were told, but the info is there. They make it pretty clear. I do wish they had made the opening episode a two parter, but it got the point across, just like the rest of the episodes.

I think my biggest issue is just that I wish it was more episodes. I don't think it was rushed or anything. But I was really into what I was watching and more would have been awesome

It’s pretty well established, in the very first episode, that no one except He-Man and the Sorceress are powerful enough to stop him. And no one knew that Skeletor was still around, much less plotting to come back by hiding in Evil-Lyn’s staff, not even Evil-Lyn herself.

And the reason why the show happens in the first place is because He-Man screws up at the end of the first episode by unwittingly unlocking “The Power” out of anger by impaling Skeletor and Skeletor nearly destroying “The Power”.

So...

I must be special that I'm able to laugh at something like that, even if I think it's a bit silly.
Lucky me.

I must be special that I'm able to laugh at something like that, even if I think it's a bit silly.
Lucky me.
I guess it's funny enough. Though the obvious sexist intent behind it's creation in this environment, dampens my enthusiasm for it.

Outside of the Classics line, He-Man/MOTU has pretty much been dead as a property since 2004.

At the very least, Netflix has breathed some new life into it for once. And there will be the other CG-animated series at least.

Plus all the rights are going to revert back to NBCUniversal in a couple years. Mattel technically no longer owns MOTU.

The way I see it, we've got toys back on the shelves, we've got new animation, new products. So really, the show did its job. It's got fans some new stuff to look at and new toys to get again. That's not a bad thing.

The chuds are apparently attempting to add in a controversy section to the page. But, when their citations of Bounding Into Comics, We Got This Covered, and Cosmic Book News, editors reverted the changes.

And the whining about it as they continue to get slapped down is hilarious.

Where is the sixth and following episodes going to go is my question now?

I doubt Adam is going to "die" again but what's the path?

For me the question of Lyn and Beastman's reaction may be telling to Skel's return.

The chuds are apparently attempting to add in a controversy section to the page. But, when their citations of Bounding Into Comics, We Got This Covered, and Cosmic Book News, editors reverted the changes.

And the whining about it as they continue to get slapped down is hilarious.
Thank you SB. I needed that. :funny:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"