He-man Sequel Series (Netflix)

I remember liking Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, though its been a few years, so no idea if they hold up.

The only things I remember about the former is Dushku, Elizabeth and Hamill. I have never seen Dogma.

Dogma is worth it's day in court and it mostly holds up as comedic commentary still on Religion and society.

If you liked Good Omens on Amazon, you'll grok to what Smith did in Dogma.

Kevin Smith absolutely peaked at Dogma, imo. That's the only movie of his that really felt like more than just a "Kevin Smith movie" to me, and like an actual movie movie, if that makes any sense. But I'd say this show is easily the best thing he's done in a really long time.

Dogma was a big influence in shaping my views on religion. Jersey Girl is underrated in my opinion. I think Tusk is great. Haven’t seen Yoga Hosers of Jay and Silent Bob Reboot yet.

Kevin Smith absolutely peaked at Dogma, imo. That's the only movie of his that really felt like more than just a "Kevin Smith movie" to me, and like an actual movie movie, if that makes any sense. But I'd say this show is easily the best thing he's done in a really long time.

This is a solid "show runner" showcase so far for Kevin.

Whatever else, a lot of effort and thought was put into this with a lot of moving parts and he pulled together a very solid team from the cast to the animation studio.

Clerks, Clerks 2, Chasing Amy and Dogma are still my favorites, but I also enjoy Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Jersey Girl which is pretty underrated IMO.

He hasn't made anything good in a very long time though and I'm someone who didn't mind Zack and Miri and didn't hate Cop Out, but I feel like this show is the most potential he has had with something in years.

Netflix's Rob David wanted him to do this show mainly based off his runs on Daredevil and Green Arrow in comic form.

I'm just happy to see I wasnt the only one that didnt like the series. I couldnt even finish it. Its actually getting more negative feedback than I even thought it would I almost feel ashamed to say I'm glad.... but I'm not.

I think if they switched out Teela for Adam (say he just loses his powers) throughout those 3 episodes, I think a lot of those who dont "like it" would be singing a different tune. Not to say there those who just genuinely think its bad but I think the reviews would be A LOT different.

I think if they switched out Teela for Adam (say he just loses his powers) throughout those 3 episodes, I think a lot of those who dont "like it" would be singing a different tune. Not to say there those who just genuinely think its bad but I think the reviews would be A LOT different.
I don't know why you're saying this like there's some kind of point here.
If people are criticizing the series for the fact Adam is sidelined, and Teela is the focus while being unlikable and uninteresting to follow as a protagonist, obviously they would have a more positive reaction if that weren't the case.
Following a depowered Adam who's struggling to fight evil without the power of He-Man with his secret out in the open is a premise that's easily a thousand times more interesting than what we got.

If people are criticizing the series for the fact Adam is sidelined, and Teela is the focus while being unlikable and uninteresting to follow as a protagonist, obviously they would have a more positive reaction if that weren't the case.
Following a depowered Adam who's struggling to fight evil without the power of He-Man with his secret out in the open is a premise that's easily a thousand times more interesting than what we got.
What makes Teela unlikable and uninteresting?

Because there is absolutely a point, its a very obvious point at that.

But you know what? What you just said is 90% likely what we'll get for the final half of the season so.....just wait to see how it all comes together for those that are offended that He-Man wasnt the main character for 3 episodes.

What makes Teela unlikable and uninteresting?

Honestly, the unlikeable criticism is a tough one. Being angry a lot does not exactly endear oneself to the audience. The problem is that that criticism is also entangled with a lot of sexist thought, which can make things difficult to disentangle.

Though really, she had every right to be pissed at Randor. Guy is a dick.

Because there is absolutely a point, its a very obvious point at that.
Yeah sexism whatever, I don't care since it doesn't change what I said.
Teela as a character is made both unlikable and uninteresting to follow through this series, so obviously replacing her with Adam the main character of the franchise who gets benched for most of these episodes would obviously get a more positive reaction from people who dont like that either of those things happened.
you know what? What you just said is 90% likely what we'll get for the final half of the season so.....just wait to see how it all comes together for those that are offended that He-Man wasnt the main character for 3 episodes
I doubt that.
Even in the slim chance the next batch of episodes are infinitely better and actually deliver on things fans wanted it which again I doubt, it won't make the episodes we have now better written, best case scenario people will just suggest the watching order to be episode 1 and then 6 onwards, since quite frankly by episode 5 the characters just end up back to they began anyway.

Honestly, the unlikeable criticism is a tough one. Being angry a lot does not exactly endear oneself to the audience. The problem is that that criticism is also entangled with a lot of sexist thought, which can make things difficult to disentangle.

Though really, she had every right to be pissed at Randor. Guy is a dick.
Yeah. My thing is, broody dudes get so much love. Batman is one of the five most popular characters American fiction has produced. No one is more broody then him. How often is he called "annoying" and "unlikeable"?

My issue here seems to be that Teela having feelings is what is labelling her "annoying" and "unlikable".

It doesnt change what you said because my initial response wasnt even to you.
So you basically said nothing.
Yeah. My thing is, broody dudes get so much love. Batman is one of the five most popular characters American fiction has produced. No one is more broody then him. How often is he called "annoying" and "unlikeable"?
You must be very new to the internet since as popular Batman is he still gets a lot of hate and is called these things by people all the time.
Just pop into comic forum, you don't need to look very far.
My issue here seems to be that Teela having feelings is what is labelling her "annoying" and "unlikable".
No, it's the fact she takes a man's death, and uses it to make the entire situation about herself, and then later continues to act self centered in that way never really considering there's a reason Adam didn't tell her his secret, since he didn't even tell his parents.
And since this series is supposed to be a continuation of the 80's series that also makes Teels the same person who constantly looked down on Adam and considered him a coward.

You must be very new to the internet since as popular Batman is he still gets a lot of hate and is called these things by people all the time.
So what you are telling me is those complaining about Teela are a vocal minority, who have no barring on how the character is being viewed by the majority?

No, it's the fact she takes a man's death, and uses it to make the entire situation about herself, and then later continues to act self centered in that way never really considering there's a reason Adam didn't tell her his secret, since he didn't even tell his parents.
And since this series is supposed to be a continuation of the 80's series that also makes Teels the same person who constantly looked down on Adam and considered him a coward.
Yeah, this is a fundamental misunderstanding how what Teela is going throw and processing.

Adam isn't some random dude. He is her best friend, and one might even argue love interest. One she is responsible for protecting. When he dies, she doesn't only lose two important people in her life, she fails at protecting him.

You are complaining that she has complex emotions, and in general feels. Because that is how people react when someone dies. They get upset, angry, etc.

It's not a direct continuation. It's a spiritual successor. They made that very clear.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a fundamental misunderstanding how what Teela is going throw and processing.

Adam isn't some random do. He is her best friend, and one might even argue love interest. One she is responsible for protecting. When he dies, she doesn't only lose two important people in her life, she fails at protecting him.

You are complaining that she has complex emotions, and in general feels. Because that is how people react when someone dies. They get upset, angry, etc.

It's not a direct continuation. It's a spiritual successor. They made that very clear.

And to go further

The reveal is quite literally tied to how he died. That alone is going to cause some messy feelings. And then, she finds out another of her good friends, her father, and a woman who just earlier that night called her part of the family, not only knew, but didn't tell her. That would make her feel like she wasn't part of that group that she thought she was.

But, again I can understand how a very angry protagonist (not broody) can be off putting. But again, there is a line that can be easily crossed from "I don't like this" to "I don't like this for sexist reasons". "She reacted too harshly" just feels like a criticism that a woman isn't allowed to feel anger.

There's still half a season left, there's arguably still time to do some of that, but we'll see.

A lot of the people crapping on the show are still bad-faith actors who whine about woke SJWS ruining media and liberal outrage culture while screeching and profiting off outrage themselves.

One such YouTube channel claimed Andra would be Teela's girlfriend. It basically says, "They are making Teela a lesbian! How dare they!" That's not what happened here, but it's vaguely homophobic if you ask me. If there was a same-sex couple of minor characters in this show, the same people would say, "They are forcing their SJW agenda on our shows!"

Oh you mean the same storyline they have explored in the past and that didnt move the needle at all...the same storyline we will get in part 2?
Yeah why not explore the same story yet again, hasnt worked before that good, but its far better than focusing on a world without He-Man where Teela has to deal with the fallout of it all.

Your...well lets call it for lack of better term "arguments" have holes like a swiss cheese since you clearly have not really much Knowledge about He-Man in the first place.

So you being this upset and all feels more like a guy who sees the "buff women ewww" group and decides to join them just for the sake of it.

I doubt that.
Even in the slim chance the next batch of episodes are infinitely better and actually deliver on things fans wanted it which again I doubt, it won't make the episodes we have now better written, best case scenario people will just suggest the watching order to be episode 1 and then 6 onwards, since quite frankly by episode 5 the characters just end up back to they began anyway.

Not only is your understanding of storytelling in general pretty bad because of course it makes the first episodes better because of the journey the story takes...because of what basic storytelling is.

See it as if you stop looking into batman after Bruces parents die and call it bad because he hasnt become batman yet.
Seeing how he becomes batman and all gives the first part a whole different feel because of it.
You pretty much **** on the prologue of a story.

And saying that the characters just end up back to where they began tells one very clearly that you havent watched a second of this.
This whole discussion is pretty pointless since you havent even the decency to look into the thing you complain about.

There's still half a season left, there's arguably still time to do some of that, but we'll see.

A lot of the people crapping on the show are still bad-faith actors who whine about woke SJWS ruining media and liberal outrage culture while screeching and profiting off outrage themselves.

One such YouTube channel claimed Andra would be Teela's girlfriend. It basically says, "They are making Teela a lesbian! How dare they!" That's not what happened here, but it's vaguely homophobic if you ask me. If there was a same-sex couple of minor characters in this show, the same people would say, "They are forcing their SJW agenda on our shows!"

Of course its mainly the "buhu SJW/Woke" crowd...because of the problem that this is an IP from a different time.
Your Audience is what was the youth in the 80s, not the youth around the 2000s that is far more open minded etc.
You create something for a small minded, short sighted audience that is stuck in time and for some reason has very fragile egos.
Thats the problem when you tackle IPs like that.
We have seen it all with She-Ra, so its not really a surprise.

The once who hated it were the usual suspects, most who tackled it with an open mind loved She-Ra.

Like i always say, if you are on the side that has guys like Yellow Flash, the critical Drinker, the quartering, that star wars girl etc...maybe you should reconsider your stance.

I wouldnt say no to Andra getting a Girlfriend, but not Teela because im all for Teela/Adam on the shipper front.

So you basically said nothing.

Correctomundo. While I understand that Kevin Smith cant spoil stuff months before a series opens, him responding, several times to a youtube -channel, and being all "NAA ! NAA! THIS WONT HAPPEN NOT TRUE" is most likely also a big part of what cause the criticism. Smith has himself to blame for this partially.

I also find it funny, that a guy like Smith, who spent years moaning and whining about Hollywood, Comic Book films and Stars Wars, is now all "If you don't like something don't talk about it!". It doesn't work that way. Nobody needs to openly accept everything Hollywood does and produces, since a huge chunk of it is complete garbage. Disliking a show or how it portrays characters does not make a person "alt right".

One thing I hope that is explored more is the conflict of tech vs magic. Tri-Klops and Teela shared some similar beliefs about technology. It would have been cool to see that dynamic and conflict explored more. It is clearly resolved from Teela’s side as she takes on this huge mission to restore magic but I think some more scenes to flesh that out would be interesting. I know they can only fit in so much though per ep given the run time

So what you are telling me is those complaining about Teela are a vocal minority, who have no barring on how the character is being viewed by the majority?

Adam isn't some random dude. He is her best friend, and one might even argue love interest. One she is responsible for protecting. When he dies, she doesn't only lose two important people in her life, she fails at protecting him.

Basically you just repeated the same thing, that I because she has emotions I can't find her behavior unlikable and shouldn't have a problem with her actions.
And all they've ever said it was a direct continuation of the original series so I'd like to see where they walked backed on this claim.

Again, I'm going to respond someone who's gonna be this blatantly condescending.

Lol

As someone who didn’t grow up with He-Man and has zero opinion on the quality of the project, all I’ll say is they must’ve done their job because this is the most relevant He-Man has been since the 80s in terms of just being talked about again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"