Illumination's Super Mario movie

OT: Go to The Movies is great imo. I hadn't seen the show before I saw it but yeah the movie is well worth a watch. Especially with HBO Max

And honestly I didnt watch the show for years because with the animation I thought it was strictly for kids. But I watched late last year...I think it's hilarious. Not enough to watch every episode but it's pretty good.
Someone described it as an animated It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (which Archer also kinda is) and I think that's a very apt description.

Last edited:
Alert: I am about to watch the original Bob Hoskins Mario movie tonight. I am expecting a masterpiece
6ln76w.gif

Footage of Pratt working on his Mario voice:

De rrraina in'a Spaaagnia, she stays a mostly on'a de plaaaina.

Last edited:
Ha yeah I got the vibe they were aiming for ghostbusters and the first tim Burton Batman flick. Actually I think it hasn’t aged as badly as people would think. Obviously Koopa has taken on a more sinister tone in present times.

as a kid I loved it because I didn’t know the source material and honestly I still kind of think it’s cute. Like Bob and Jon are really good Mario brothers. Hard to beat casting like that

I liked the original. It’s definitely not what you expect from a Mario Bros movie and isn’t going to win any awards. But it has a goofy charm to it.

It's one of those movies like Batman and Robin where at the time people were like "WTF is this?" but it's looked at a little more fondly as time has gone on, especially from those who saw it when they were kids.

Yeah I could see it making a Hocus Pocus type comeback

Still a major guilty pleasure for me. The fanbase for that movie put together a cut with unseen scenes sometime ago which I thought was pretty sweet.

Ha yeah I got the vibe they were aiming for ghostbusters and the first tim Burton Batman flick. Actually I think it hasn’t aged as badly as people would think. Obviously Koopa has taken on a more sinister tone in present times.

as a kid I loved it because I didn’t know the source material and honestly I still kind of think it’s cute. Like Bob and Jon are really good Mario brothers. Hard to beat casting like that

Leguizamo is pretty much perfect as Luigi.

But yeah, I think there's some charm to the Mario Bros. movie. I don't revisit it as much as I do Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter because I don't think it's nearly as entertaining as those, but I like it.

Plus, to this day, that ending is a major tease. Like, why does Mario believe whatever Daisy's gonna say before she says it? Inquiring minds want to know!

HUGE leak of info came out on Reddit about the movie. Apparently, Mario and Luigi will have Brooklyn accents (assuming that's a nod to the 80s cartoon). THAT'S why Pratt was cast.

Because the first thing you think of when you think of Brooklyn is Chris Pratt. Not Jay-Z. Chris Pratt.

Also, how dare you this is a forum. Complaining is literally what we’re here for :D

HUGE leak of info came out on Reddit about the movie. Apparently, Mario and Luigi will have Brooklyn accents (assuming that's a nod to the 80s cartoon). THAT'S why Pratt was cast.
Link?

MovieLord, I don't mean this in any way as disrespect, but... it's okay for people to have reservations about this movie? You don't really need to be annoyed about it anytime someone expresses that.

If Chris Pratt kills it as Mario, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. But as of now, I still think he reeks of stunt casting and nothing else.

Full details:

General Details

The art style is cartoonish and full of life and color. It's said to be reminiscent of Hotel Transylvania in terms of style but Mario.

The action is said to be really well choreographed. They brought up the Donkey Kong fight from the beginning and said that it was quite fast paced even "blink and you'll miss" at times especially when Mario gets the Golden Hammer.

The humor in the movie is said to be very punny/meta, not everyone will like it but on a positive note no dabbing or fart jokes etc.

For character design Mario and Luigi have slight changes. They start off the movie with worn and dusty clothes with a bit of a muted color scheme, Mario has a blueish purple shirt instead of brown and Luigi has green overalls and a blueish purple shirt as well. As time goes on they switch over to their more iconic colors.

Mario and Luigi have Brooklyn accents in this movie.

As for character appearances (other than the main cast of heroes/villains), DK Jr. Pauline and Toadsworth are said to appear. Daisy is name dropped. There are some female Toads too but none specifically called Toadette. There is also a character named Spike who shows up at the beginning of the movie and is this kind of greedy/bossy (but not villainous) character who also shows up at the end to congratulate them.

There are a number of different enemies in the movie, Goombas, Koopas, Hammer Bros, Buller Bills, Banzai Bills, Lakitus, as well as Fuzzies and Ninjis were mentioned.

Plot Outline

The movie opens with a narration by Charles Martinet as we go through the different jobs Mario has had over the years before joining the wrecking crew. He saves the Mayor from Donkey Kong in the "real world" New Donk City.

In the present day Mario is quite famous. When he hears about reports of Gorillas and Turtles fighting in the sewers he goes to investigate. Underground there are a ton of Gorillas, some partying, others playing drums. Here he runs into an older cranky Donkey Kong but can't communicate with him because he speaks Gorilla. They end up falling through a pipe teleporting them to Mushroom Kingdom.

At some point near the beginning we hear the first "song" of the movie. Here Bowser sings as we see his younger years/desire to take over Mushroom Kingdom. He then kidnaps Princess Peach, blows up Mushroom Kingdom and then heads for his ship. Mario and Captain Toad go on a journey to stop Bowser.

The second "song" of the movie is about plumbing.

At some point, Luigi is concerned because Mario has been gone for quite some time. He goes to the sewers but ends up in Mushroom Kingdom, the Forbidden Forest specifically, where he runs into Yoshi.

Mario goes to fight Bowser but is beat down quite badly. Kamek drops him off the ship into the Forbidden Forest where he meets with Luigi and Yoshi and likely at this point is when they get their new costumes with more iconic colors.

They head to Bowsers Castle and at some point they come across these 3 Bowser Clones. These clones mostly tell jokes but once they are defeated they shapeshift into this indescribable combination of enemies.

The final "song" happens at some point before the final battle and basically everyone sings here. The Toads sing about saving the princess, Mario and Luigi sing about not losing hope, Bowser and Peach argue to the beat of the song.

In the end, Kamek gives Bowser a mushroom that causes him to grow. He chases after Mario and Luigi as they run through a pipe maze across different locations (a desert, ocean, forest, and cloudy area were all mentioned). Power ups like the Fire Flower and the Star make an appearance at this point of the movie.

Yoshi has some history with Kamek (I believe it was mentioned that Kamek was the one who exiled him to the Forbidden Forest?) so they end up fighting. Kamek uses his want to mess around with Yoshi altering the environment.

At the end of the chase they trick Bowser into going through the last pipe, straight into his own lava pit.

After all is said and done Mario decides to open up a plumbing service in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Post credits scene is Bowsers skeleton...

Not that I believe anything from that leak but that still doesn't validate casting Pratt in the role. Actually it makes it more questionable, isn't he from the Midwest?

Not that I believe anything from that leak but that still doesn't validate casting Pratt in the role. Actually it makes it more questionable, isn't he from the Midwest?
That doesn't matter. Evans is from Massachusetts and did a Brooklyn accent (at least to start with) when he played Cap. Idris Elba, Dominic West, etc. are British and did accents for the Wire.

THAT being said...I don't know if Pratt can pull off an accent haha

That doesn't matter. Evans is from Massachusetts and did a Brooklyn accent (at least to start with) when he played Cap. Idris Elba, Dominic West, etc. are British and did accents for the Wire.

THAT being said...I don't know if Pratt can pull off an accent haha
Oh for sure, and don't forget Daniel Kaluuya who's great at accents. I meant the reasoning that Pratt was cast because Mario is supposedly an Italian New Yorker in this makes no sense.

Sounds perfectly adequate

Full details:

General Details

The art style is cartoonish and full of life and color. It's said to be reminiscent of Hotel Transylvania in terms of style but Mario.

The action is said to be really well choreographed. They brought up the Donkey Kong fight from the beginning and said that it was quite fast paced even "blink and you'll miss" at times especially when Mario gets the Golden Hammer.

The humor in the movie is said to be very punny/meta, not everyone will like it but on a positive note no dabbing or fart jokes etc.

For character design Mario and Luigi have slight changes. They start off the movie with worn and dusty clothes with a bit of a muted color scheme, Mario has a blueish purple shirt instead of brown and Luigi has green overalls and a blueish purple shirt as well. As time goes on they switch over to their more iconic colors.

Mario and Luigi have Brooklyn accents in this movie.

As for character appearances (other than the main cast of heroes/villains), DK Jr. Pauline and Toadsworth are said to appear. Daisy is name dropped. There are some female Toads too but none specifically called Toadette. There is also a character named Spike who shows up at the beginning of the movie and is this kind of greedy/bossy (but not villainous) character who also shows up at the end to congratulate them.

There are a number of different enemies in the movie, Goombas, Koopas, Hammer Bros, Buller Bills, Banzai Bills, Lakitus, as well as Fuzzies and Ninjis were mentioned.

Plot Outline

The movie opens with a narration by Charles Martinet as we go through the different jobs Mario has had over the years before joining the wrecking crew. He saves the Mayor from Donkey Kong in the "real world" New Donk City.

In the present day Mario is quite famous. When he hears about reports of Gorillas and Turtles fighting in the sewers he goes to investigate. Underground there are a ton of Gorillas, some partying, others playing drums. Here he runs into an older cranky Donkey Kong but can't communicate with him because he speaks Gorilla. They end up falling through a pipe teleporting them to Mushroom Kingdom.

At some point near the beginning we hear the first "song" of the movie. Here Bowser sings as we see his younger years/desire to take over Mushroom Kingdom. He then kidnaps Princess Peach, blows up Mushroom Kingdom and then heads for his ship. Mario and Captain Toad go on a journey to stop Bowser.

The second "song" of the movie is about plumbing.

At some point, Luigi is concerned because Mario has been gone for quite some time. He goes to the sewers but ends up in Mushroom Kingdom, the Forbidden Forest specifically, where he runs into Yoshi.

Mario goes to fight Bowser but is beat down quite badly. Kamek drops him off the ship into the Forbidden Forest where he meets with Luigi and Yoshi and likely at this point is when they get their new costumes with more iconic colors.

They head to Bowsers Castle and at some point they come across these 3 Bowser Clones. These clones mostly tell jokes but once they are defeated they shapeshift into this indescribable combination of enemies.

The final "song" happens at some point before the final battle and basically everyone sings here. The Toads sing about saving the princess, Mario and Luigi sing about not losing hope, Bowser and Peach argue to the beat of the song.

In the end, Kamek gives Bowser a mushroom that causes him to grow. He chases after Mario and Luigi as they run through a pipe maze across different locations (a desert, ocean, forest, and cloudy area were all mentioned). Power ups like the Fire Flower and the Star make an appearance at this point of the movie.

Yoshi has some history with Kamek (I believe it was mentioned that Kamek was the one who exiled him to the Forbidden Forest?) so they end up fighting. Kamek uses his want to mess around with Yoshi altering the environment.

At the end of the chase they trick Bowser into going through the last pipe, straight into his own lava pit.

After all is said and done Mario decides to open up a plumbing service in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Post credits scene is Bowsers skeleton...

Oh for sure, and don't forget Daniel Kaluuya who's great at accents. I meant the reasoning that Pratt was cast because Mario is supposedly an Italian New Yorker in this makes no sense.
Yeah that's true. I agree with that. I guess we'll see and I hope to be proven wrong.

The Garfield one is the one that makes even less sense to me. Nick Offerman is right there and you go with Pratt?

And I generally like Pratt's performances for the most part (namely in the first Guardians, The Kid, and Parks and Rec). But I haven't seen anything to indicate that he can really switch up who he is even at a Chris Evans-esque level

Yeah that's true. I agree with that. I guess we'll see and I hope to be proven wrong.

The Garfield one is the one that makes even less sense to me. Nick Offerman is right there and you go with Pratt?

And I generally like Pratt's performances for the most part (namely in the first Guardians, The Kid, and Parks and Rec). But I haven't seen anything to indicate that he can really switch up who he is even at a Chris Evans-esque level
Seriously. I like the guy enough, but he definitely isn't a talent where I assume he's being cast for his ability rather than his name.

Chris Pratt has the perfect type of energy for Mario. I'm not worried at all about his performance. The only hesitation I have is the voice, but apparently they worked hard at it and love it so we shall see.

Also, the reason people believe that leak is because it was supposedly DMCA'd. I don't knew if it's confirmed, but if it is that essentially proves it.

Never. And I will be wrong, watch....I really don't want to be wrong.
No I'm with you. The 1993 movie is considered the start of the video game movie curse for a reason: the directors didn't give a damn about the games. They've FLAT OUT ADMITTED they just wanted to get their spec script about an alternate Earth with humans evolved from dinosaurs off the ground and used the Mario characters just to get it made. THAT'S why that movie sucks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"