Illumination's Super Mario movie

I definitely want to see Wario and Waluigi

But also...sequel confirmed! I want Wart for the next villain! Or Danny DeVito as Wario at least.

This most likely wasn’t in regards to Mario 2.

The words - sequel, continuation, second installment - were noticeably missing in the announcement.

While some trades leapt to calling it a sequel, others didn’t and mentioned the same odd wording I just did. The WORLD OF Mario, that sounds like a spin-off.

If I was to guess - this is Donkey Kong. I think there were rumors of a DK film around the time Mario came out, possibly because it was already in pre-pro given the time it takes to make animated films.

It usually takes five years between animated sequels in recent years. The only one I know of that was less was The Secret Life Of Pets 2 and that was rushed out in a way that had it play like a cash-in; I don’t see the same happening here as that could damage a lucrative brand. I’m just hoping it’s five instead of eight years (8 being the time between recent Despicable Me films, the studio’s top hit prior to Mario).

Last edited:
Well they said based on the Super Mario Bros. World and broadening the world, so maybe it's a spinoff, but we'll see.

Chris Meledandri also called it a "return to the Super Mario Bros."

...would it be wrong of me to try and manifest a Luigi's Mansion movie?

I think Luigi's Mansion is possible for the 2026 film, but I'm hesitant at predicting that's it since I would think Luigi's Mansion would have more fall release to capitalize on Halloween.

That said, a part of me wonders if Illumination will take a page out of Disney and Dreamwork's book. That is to say why have one Luigi's Mansion when there could be an annual Halloween special each, or every other, year? Personally I see this route working out really well for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"