Jessica Jones Jessica Jones FULL SEASON THREE Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmarkhughes%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FJESSICA-JONES-season-3-poster.jpg

Discuss the 3rd season of Jessica Jones here.

NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY.

Caught the 1st 4 episodes. Its not as good as season 1 for sure. I think it also loses out to season 2 (as far fetch as that would seem).

This show really went off a cliff midway through season 2.

Wow, this is the exact outcome and scenario I predicted.

So yeah, I dug this season. I'm SO glad they went full villain with Trish because honestly, she'd been beyond redemption for me for quite a while. I'm also glad Jeri didn't get her happy ending because I was so about to call BS on that. In fact I'd say the note it went out on for most of the characters was beautifully and appropriately noirish, imo. I thought Sallinger was a compelling villain with an interesting motivation and served his purpose in this season rather ideally too. I was pretty indifferent to Det. Costa last season, but he won me over here.

Overall, while I've enjoyed every season of this show, I do think this one was more consistent than S2.

1.) Season 1
2.) Season 3
3.) Season 2

Finished watching all 13 episodes. Its a mess. It seems to cater for a 13 episode season the writing had to come up with ridiculous stuff to stretch as much as possible. One moment Sallinger is a brutal villain, then mid season Jeri becomes the villain. Eventually Sallinger becomes a dangerous villain again only for Trish to become the final boss villain. This series has made every character unlikeable....including malcom.

Some stuff which irritated me.

1)Jessica stopped Trish from killing Sallingerth because according to her, its not what heros do. The next moment she has no problem tampering with evidence that she went to great depths to get. WTF ? Isn't both of them felonies ?

2)Malcom is shown to be an awesome investigator who deals with top of the line facial recognition software. So how the f**k can he miss Trish's reflection on the monitor ? To top it off, jeri (with all the sickness she has), is the one to find it with a few clicks of her mouse.

3)And talking about Trish's footage, If Malcom find it not ethical to work for jeri and wants to quit, why does he want to surrender the trish footage to jeri ? His GF went to so much trouble to erase certain portions, but he like a dumba$$ wants to surrender that to Jeri ?

4)As for jessica, in season 2, she had no problem bonding with her murder mom (she did not want to turn her mother in)....but suddenly in season 3, she has a conscious and does not wanna kill Sallinger when she could have easily done so.

5)Similar to point 4.....no problem bonding with her mom in season 2 while she wants to hand trish over to the authorities.

6)Eric Gelden - Had ESP in comics. Here he has headaches................ Holy Cow. And how exactly does his powers work ? When Trish kills bad guys, he describes it as euphoria (when he is literally standing next to her). Then a episode or 2 down the line, the same Trish induces similar symptons he had with Sallingerth. His powers are not at all well-explained. He can beat up a pimp but has headaches when confronting a female executive who stole pensions from her staff. There is no consistency.

7)Foolkiller - Nothing like the comics. Just a random sicko serial killer. Anyway, that's not the worst thing. In the first 3/4 of the series they show as someone with such superior intellect like he some kind of tony stark. No traces whatsoever when he kills. He can lay sophisticated smoke traps in the water tank where jessica finds the bodies beforehand. And somehow this genius gets sloppy in the final episodes.

I can go on and on....... But you know what..i am happy this marvel experiment is ending with netflix. I reckon disney + will do a better job with their marvel properties as they have feige overseeing that.

Why would i wanna see a superhero show where someone faces of with her mother and some random serial killer ? You don't need to be a jessica jones show to do that. The 1st season was good with Killgrave and all. The 2nd and 3rd seasons are mediocre at best.

I thought this season was awesome pretty much all around. Like I said in the other thread, this show is the most emotionally complex superhero show out there. It offers no easy answers and challenges audience expectations very heavily in seasons 2 & 3. But that's exactly what I loved about them. Sallinger was an interesting villain, but the real villain ultimately turns out to be Patsy. I loved how the show effectively in season 2 gave us a villain origin story under the radar. I thought it was the more creative route to go with her. She's really the true villain of this season in many ways. She represents the complete opposite of Jessica, like any good arch-enemy should. I know many will hate the route they went with her and wish we got a more standard ending where she and Jessica become a team, but I think this was more creative.

It may be popular to hate on Marvel Netflix at this point, but it changes nothing for me. Love these shows. Hope they come back on Hulu in a couple years. But I would say Jessica got a fine ending should this really be the final season.

So yeah, I dug this season. I'm SO glad they went full villain with Trish because honestly, she'd been beyond redemption for me for quite a while. I'm also glad Jeri didn't get her happy ending because I was so about to call BS on that. In fact I'd say the note it went out on for most of the characters was beautifully and appropriately noirish, imo. I thought Sallinger was a compelling villain with an interesting motivation and served his purpose in this season rather ideally too. I was pretty indifferent to Det. Costa last season, but he won me over here.

Overall, while I've enjoyed every season of this show, I do think this one was more consistent than S2.

1.) Season 1
2.) Season 3
3.) Season 2
Yup, agree with all of this. I’m sad that we won’t get more, but happy to see the series go out with a strong finish. For once, this felt to me like a complete season, without any of the filler episodes common to the Marvel Netflix shows used to get to the required episode numbers. All the regulars got a chance to shine, and if everybody didn’t get a finished arc, they at least ended up in interesting places in the end. 8/10, will watch again, starting with season one.

Man after finishing this it really has become apparent to me just how much that first season was lightning in the bottle as far as quality goes. I remember not even being that crazy about it back when it first came out either, but I loved David Tenant as Kilgrave and to this day he is still my second favorite villain of all these Marvel Netflix shows. I honestly think I might have preferred Season 2 over this, although not by much considering there is still so much I dislike about both seasons. I just thought the villains this season were so uninteresting even though the guy playing Sallinger did a solid job acting wise. At the end of the day, he was just some average looking dude who just so happen to be some generic serial killer with slightly above average intelligence. I never found him to be all that threatening though, and doesn't help that he got his ass kicked most of the time either. The stuff with Trish was pretty whatever as well. They have already made the character completely unlikable after Season 2, so there was only so much more they could do to make her even more unlikable. I really could care less for the subplots involving Hogarth and Malcolm this as well. It's the same crap every season with their characters and you might as well throw in Rebecca De Mornay's character too since she hasn't changed much over three seasons either and I felt absolutely nothing for her when she died. Krysten Ritter is a true star though and really carried this season on her shoulder's quite well. I really enjoyed all the interactions she had with Benjamin Walker's character and her new assistant.

Fully caught. I thought this season was great. However it could have ended 3 eps earlier. I'm not a fan of what happened to Patsy. Felt a bit forced and unnecessary to have Jess turn on her and get her locked up after the effort she spent in keeping her out of jail.

I thought this season was very good and maintained a consistent quality throughout. It's certainly above season two. That being said, I'm bummed out by the choice they took. There were a lot of fun moments between Jessica and Trish that would have been fun to keep. Each step, there was hope for Trish to come back from this, but it is really clear that it was always false hope. Each step just continued along the path.

Salinger was a really good villain. I mean, he's not among the best, but he's the type of villain that works great in a Jessica Jones story.

If I had to rate this, maybe a 7/10 on first blush. I'd have to compare it to the other shows. I think it was better than Jessica Jones Season Two, Iron Fist Season One, and Defenders. I'd say maybe slightly above Iron Fist Season Two, but in that ballpark. But it's hard to judge because I can acknowledge that it's well done and still wish they did something else.

Luke Caaaaagge!

I was unaware he was going to pop up. Nice to see him.

I thought this season was pretty solid. A good recovery after the slog that was season 2. It benefited for having a proper villain to keep a sense of momentum. Salinger was good enough. Not a standout like a Kingpin or Killgrave but effectively creepy. I was surprised there wasn't more cat-and-mouse detective work with Jessica trying to pin him down, but it was probably for the best as this show's strengths are more in characters than procedural detective work.

And I quite liked the characters this time around. Jessica was good fun and I felt her struggle. Trish won me back over early in the season and descent was pretty well handled. Hogarth was her manipulative best. I really liked Erik, who had a Doyle from Angel vibe which I really enjoyed. His relationship with Jessica was interesting and it was nice to see her example inspire him to be better.

Last edited:
I liked this season a lot, and I would rank it #2 after Season 1 and above Season 2. All of the seasons have been strong, but I thought that Season 3 was better-paced than Season 2 was. The stories in Season 3 were also very exciting and compelling.

A lot of the credit goes to the cast, because everyone's acting was superb. Most of all, Krysten Ritter once again was fantastic and served as a great central character of the show. Every member of the cast performed excellently, but Krysten Ritter was the glue that held everything together and kept the ship afloat.

I'm sorry to see the series come to an end, but I'm glad to see it end on a high note.

I’m really sorry to see the series end. I wish it wasn’t another case of Jessica having to fight one of her own. After all she went though with her mother I didn’t want that to happen again so soon. Also I found some of the decisions to be a bit off. But otherwise decent season. Hogarth deserves her ending too!

I liked this season a lot, and I would rank it #2 after Season 1 and above Season 2. All of the seasons have been strong, but I thought that Season 3 was better-paced than Season 2 was. The stories in Season 3 were also very exciting and compelling.

A lot of the credit goes to the cast, because everyone's acting was superb. Most of all, Krysten Ritter once again was fantastic and served as a great central character of the show. Every member of the cast performed excellently, but Krysten Ritter was the glue that held everything together and kept the ship afloat.

I'm sorry to see the series come to an end, but I'm glad to see it end on a high note.
Krysten is awesome and I would be happy to watch more seasons of her as the main character. I would have liked to see Defenders work better too as she obviously works well with Luke and could have done much more with Matt Murdock.

Last edited:
Trish honestly deserved better. Here's a domestic abuse survivor and public advocate, being a goddamn superhero on a show that was fully aware that a significant portion of its audience was made up of abuse survivors and that prided itself (not to mention actively sold itself) on being empowering to them.

Of course, we just can’t have nice things. Instead, the Hellcat this show gave us was so destroyed and broken by the violence and physical-emotional-sexual-financial abuse she’d endured since childhood that she twisted and turned into "the bad guy" despite her best intentions and desire to help people. So cool. Very edgy.

I don’t expect TV shows to be "very special episodes with very important messages". I don’t expect creators to teach audiences lessons of morality and how to behave in a society. I don’t want or need characters to be Good Role Models. But there is still such a thing as responsible storytelling. And luring in your audience with “pssst, hey kid, heard you liked empowering feminist stories that also realistically depict the emotional impacts of abuse, want some?” and then going LOL NOPE sure doesn’t meet that standard.

If the plan was to make Trish go dark from the start, well, they had pure Trish season 1, complex grey Trish season 2. Season 3 could've gone to the following places:

• Borrow a page from Dex in Daredevil season 3, and take a gray Trish and make her go darker and darker through out the whole season
  • They take the gray Trish and take her back to white and pure.
  • They take a gray Trish, take her to her darkest point and turn her white again.
In this season, I'd say her morality went "grey-white-dark-white". It was rushed, and they seriously made her nuts in the last two episodes.

They made her "good pure" as before drugs, she fixed things with Jessica, even with her abusive mother… and not even Erik could detect until the end she had “grey” aura? . I feel they went for “shock value” to make her the evil in the last 2 episodes. I understand that Trish going wild “makes sense” (not to me, but to someone), but it also feels forced and stupid all the way through. They made her look both idiotic and cruel. She was neither. And she loved her sister more than anything in the world. No matter how far she goes into her plot-induced madness, she would have never hurt Jessica in a million years. Makes no sense, sorry. It’s just stupid. Jessica saved her from an abusive mother, protected her for years, for gods sake.

Not to mention, that's a message that's been done to death in the superhero genre, "if you kill bad people that makes you just as bad as them". At this point, we’re all tired of it. So when Trish killed some abusive men including the man who murdered her mother, I fully understood her actions. Yet she was treated as the real villain of the season. It felt hypocritical of Marvel. Because Jessica murdered Kilgrave in Jessica Jones season 1, and the Punisher’s entire characterization involves him killing bad guys and he just gets called an antihero and gets his own TV show, not to mention Deadpool has killed a large share of low-level criminals either because they slightly got in his way or just to avenge their loved ones, and it's all played as awesome/acceptable.

It's not the fact Trish killed, it's the intent behind it. Jessica killed Killgrave not out of malice, hate, revenge, etc. She did it because there was no other way to stop him. Trish killed a man put behind bars out of lust for revenge and the other 2 because she just has a lust for conflict. Her pursuit of justice was more like taking drugs than it was about heroism. She needed the credit, she needed someone to take down, she thrived for conflict. Similarly, what Frank does is wrong (and many people tell him this at many points in his own show), but he is not seeking credit for it for anything. Remember, Frank was positioned as an antagonist for Daredevil in Daredevil season 2 when he was initially introduced. I have no doubts Erik would see Frank as dark. So, I think you're looking at her arc from a flawed perspective.

Last edited:
Trish was killing because she wanted to. She was an addict in that sense. Jess was absolutely right that she had to be stopped.

Well I'm just not exactly fond of this trend of "take a female character, give her power, and make her lose her mind" trend. We saw this with Dany in Game of Thrones and now we're seeing it here with Trish. It begs the question of what that says about us as a society. Are we afraid of women having too much power? With Trish, it's like, I can see that they were going for a complex and flawed character, and even though they did her more gradually and with way better setup, it still feels to a degree like Dany 2.0.

I also feel there's a big double standard going on. Daredevil brutalizes criminals and drives them to suicide? That's okay. When the Punisher murders people he has personal grudge against? We're allowed to root for him, he doesn't lose his support network and even gets a free pass and a job offer. Trish Walker beats and kills criminals, including the piece of **** who killed her mother? She's a bad person who is completely irredeemable and must be put away for good. That absolutely is a double standard right here, especially on a very feminist show.

That double standard also clearly extends to the fanbase. I can point to several male vigilantes who have done things more reprehensible than anything Trish did and who are universally adored by the respective fanbases. What would be so bad about having a female character who does the same thing? Yes, Trish would be an antihero, but there's nothing wrong about antiheroes. Clearly, this fandom has no problem glorifying violent acts committed by men, but balks at the idea of glorifying acts of violence committed by women.

And honestly, it kinda feels like the second half of the season was written by another person. The whole switch of villains, the ending that's just all over the place, characters' motivations changing rapidly and without warning... The first half was good though.

Just finished watching this. This was the weakest of the 3 seasons IMO. Way too much focus on Patsy which wasnt good bc I couldnt stand her here. She works better as a supporting player, not lead, which is a position she took on. The plot also wasnt interesting, was kinda hard to follow and the antagonist was just lame. Nothing beats Kilgrave and Jess' mom. I did like that final scene. It was a fitting way to end the show

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"