• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Jessica Jones Jessica Jones FULL SEASON TWO Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

I don’t think the wait will be as long now. I don’t think we will be getting another Defenders season. We have Luke Cage S2, DD S3 for 2018 and then IF S2, Punisher S2 and then JJ S2 for 2019 I’d assume.

Agreed. Next year is probably Iron Fist in March-ish, The Punisher in summer, and Jessica Jones in fall (prob November)

Just finished, and it was a struggle of the highest order. I thought S1 was unbearable. S2 was even worse. There is nothing likable about JJ.

I say this knowing I'm in the minority. My tastes, are I guess odd? I liked DD2 better than DD1, liked Iron Fist, liked The Defenders, and loved The Punisher.

This just seemed like a waste of time when there are better stories that can be told.

My ranking would have to be:

Daredevil S1
Daredevil S2 (Elektra!)
Jessica Jones S1
The Defenders
Luke Cage S1
Jessica Jones S2

Iron Fist S1

I still havent watched The Punisher... I just dont get the appeal of him/his character. Maybe it'll happen one of these days but I'm just not in the mood for him right now.

My ranking would have to be:

Daredevil S1
Daredevil S2 (Elektra!)
Jessica Jones S1
The Defenders
Luke Cage S1
Jessica Jones S2

Iron Fist S1

I still havent watched The Punisher... I just dont get the appeal of him/his character. Maybe it'll happen one of these days but I'm just not in the mood for him right now.

My ranking would be...

Luke Cage S1 - Diamondback wasn't as good of a villain but I still found him entertaining. Best of the bunch IMO.

DDS1 - Only complaint was that the suit was introduced a bit too late.

JJS1 - Great villain and a great story about a woman confronting her former abuser, the ways in which abusers see themselves and how people deal with abusive relationships.

DDS2 - Nobu was introduced far too late and after Finn Cooley died, there was a lack of a central villain until Nobu came back after four episodes in the middle where the show lagged. It was still worth watching but the middle of the season needed a bad guy.

Punisher - Some episodes felt like filler but the last five episodes (and episode 5) made the wait worth it. My guess is that Marvel being unable to rent a freighter played into the show's slow burn since not seeing Frank raid a cargo ship was a letdown and Steve Lightfoot needed an extra episode stuffed into the season to make up for it.

Defenders - Had weak villains who had weak motivations but the fight scenes and banter were a whole lot of fun. There also weren't strong connections between Matt and Luke and Danny and Jessica and I wasn't a fan of turning Elektra evil at the end (although it's implied that she redeemed herself).

JJS2 - Karl Malus wasn't a very threatening villain. Everything he did which was evil was done offscreen. It was an interesting character-driven drama but it was marketed as a superhero show. I liked it but the biggest complaint about Marvel Studios is that they have weak villains and this season was no exception. It was well done but I hope that future seasons have better antagonists.

Iron Fist S1 - The only season which I didn't like since an incompetent showrunner, a rushed production and maddening creative decisions made the show feel off in a lot of places. Jessica Henwick was the only cast member who actually felt like she had time to prepare her lines. The fight scenes were stiff, there was no costume despite Danny being granted it in the first issue back in K'un L'un and every single character felt different from episode to episode. The show didn't even know who the main villain was and the sheer lack of direction, bizarre character behavior and completely wasted characters like Zhou Cheng and Bride Of Nine Spiders made the show a disaster. I love most of the Marvel Netflix shows but not Iron Fist. And basing the show on the first few issues before Chris Claremont took over and wasting 13 episodes just to get to Harold's death when that's literally the thing which set the first Iron Fist story in motion was a crazy choice. Villain cameos did nothing but set up future seasons. The flashbacks failed to show K'un L'un since Marvel didn't have time to build sets/rent a warehouse. We also didn't even get to see Shou Lao in full. Everything cool about Iron Fist was totally drained, particularly since not only did Into the Badlands raise the bar for what fight scenes on TV should be but so did Daredevil and the latter was made by Marvel. Finn Jones was great in Game of Thrones and was much improved in Defenders, Tom Pelphrey was significantly better in Banshee, I loved Rosario Dawson in Sin City and David Wenham was excellent in Lord of the Rings. That means that the problem wasn't the cast, it was Scott Buck, particularly since the only other show produced by Jeph Loeb which had these same issues was Inhumans. Only looking forward to Season 2 since it has a new showrunner and I like the comics but if Season 2 doesn't show an improvement, I'm done with the show.

Question for those who did NOT like the season:

Did you not like it because of your expectations or because of what it actually was?

I don't think I had a lot of expectations. I don't know much about Jessica Jones's supporting characters and lore. So even if they'd change the source material completely, I wouldn't know. I only expected a decent villain, not of the Killgrave caliber, because he's hard to top, maybe solving the IGH mystery and Trish following the path to become Hellcat.

But we didn't really get much of a villain, since Dr. Malus was driven to do good and heal people, even if the methods were questionable. And apparently it was never supposed to be some sort of secret super soldier project, since super powers just happened to be a side effect. IGH pretty much only existed for a few years, until it was shut down. And Trish, she may be on her way to become Hellcat in Season 3, but they did it in such a way, that I couldn't care less about her. She is actually the real villain of this Season.

I don't think I had a lot of expectations. I don't know much about Jessica Jones's supporting characters and lore. So even if they'd change the source material completely, I wouldn't know. I only expected a decent villain, not of the Killgrave caliber, because he's hard to top, maybe solving the IGH mystery and Trish following the path to become Hellcat.

But we didn't really get much of a villain, since Dr. Malus was driven to do good and heal people, even if the methods were questionable. And apparently it was never supposed to be some sort of secret super soldier project, since super powers just happened to be a side effect. IGH pretty much only existed for a few years, until it was shut down. And Trish, she may be on her way to become Hellcat in Season 3, but they did it in such a way, that I couldn't care less about her. She is actually the real villain of this Season.

I see.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I like that there was no "villain" in the show. It was a bunch of desperate, broken people doing things they all believed were "right". It made the show more complex and entertaining because everyone had a POV that wasn't totally wrong.

I thought it was fascinating because it was so different than any show or movie Marvel has put out.

I figure we see JJ again in early 2020.

Maybe Fall 2019 we see another Defenders matchup. Or Netflix drops a Moon Knight or Blade or something. it'd be the perfect time

For me it's JJS1, DDS1, Luke Cage (1st half of the season), The Punisher, DDS2, The Defenders, Luke Cage (2nd half of the season), JJS2, Iron Fist

Overall, I wasn't really feeling this season. And it's hard to enjoy it when the characters who get the main focus are unlikeable while the likeable ones get less screen time. Can't say I'm excited to see what happens next for these characters. Just meh about it.

Question for those who did NOT like the season:

Did you not like it because of your expectations or because of what it actually was?

I'll admit I had low expectations, but I guess I just go into all things Marvel with high hopes. Or any show or movie I spend the time to watch...and to my detriment I stay committed to the end!

I think I just don't like JJ as a character or care about her story that much. So my expectations and what was presented are probably a wash.

Maybe that means my opinion is jaded, but JJ2 didn't win over a fan from my end.

Overall, I wasn't really feeling this season. And it's hard to enjoy it when the characters who get the main focus are unlikeable while the likeable ones get less screen time. Can't say I'm excited to see what happens next for these characters. Just meh about it.

Yup

Finally finished this up (way too late) last night. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Terrific character driven drama featuring a whole bunch of broken people hell bent on fixing themselves in all the wrong ways. There was an intensity and desperation to this season that I didn’t feel in season one. I know some found it slow or boring to start but I didn’t get that at all, it pulled me right in. I did see the “killer is her mom” twist coming but they pulled it off in such a way that it didn’t bother me. And props for not tying it all up with happy ever afters at the end.

Among the things that bugged me: Trish still does nothing for me. I doubt giving her powers will help but I guess we’ll see, assuming this gets a season three. The JJ wig...please just give it up, it looked even worse this season. If they have to keep it, visit a real wig shop for one, not one of those pop up Halloween costume stores. Asian detective bro was annoying and pointless. Karl’s motivation for being so willing to give Trish abilities was...well, I’m not sure, something, I suppose. I would have liked to see Whizzer survive.

Overall 8/10.

I hate Trish now, like really really hate.

Dare i say felicity level hate

I hate Trish now, like really really hate.

Dare i say felicity level hate

I feel ya. The character and her motivations make no sense and the story trips over itself trying to justify her. And now that they’ve given her abilities I’m petrified that she’ll be the focus of any season three. I’d rather end the series than that.

I feel ya. The character and her motivations make no sense and the story trips over itself trying to justify her. And now that they’ve given her abilities I’m petrified that she’ll be the focus of any season three. I’d rather end the series than that.

Ah **** you right man, might aswell rename the show to Patsy season 3 at this point, ugh.

I just watched Jess S2.

It was decent, but fell flat in someways without Killgrave or Luke Cage.
The attempt to delve into her past and have the plot revolve around that was a nice idea.
I’ve never read any of her comics, but the twist that happens 1/2 way shocked me.
That character and Jess’s complicated relationship in the last 7 episodes was interesting to watch.

However, The character of Trish almost comes off as a villain more than the above character.
She was extremely unlikeable and I had little sympathy for her.
I was more sympathetic with Jeri Hogarth until the penultimate episode.
Malcom was my favorite character this season(probably he was more assertive)

Pryce Cheng felt like a wasted opportunity.
Oscar and his son trying to be a surrogate family for Jess was a nice contrast to all her craziness,but it seemed like Oscar was more a plot device (and "other" device wink)

I just hope that the fallout between Trish and Jess at the end isnt just swept under the rug in the next season. That happens a lot in CW shows, where there will be a big brouhaha and then 2 episodes everyone’s sunshine and rainbows.

I loled at how Jess lectured Malcolm that getting "action" is no better than drugs.
BEYOTCH, youre drunk 24/7 and ****ing random boytoys in bars and down the hall after they fix your toilet/print illegal govt documents. You little hypocrite!

My favorite episode was 7 since there was a lot of backstory/flashbacks.
It was great to see -------- again in ep 10. It shows you how compelling that person was.

Overall: 7/10
(We need a compelling antagonist and some more likeable characters)

The second to last ranked MCU Netflix Season. (Iron Fist is 6.5/10 )

The only way this can go now IMO is Trish as the central villain of season 3.

I just hope that the fallout between Trish and Jess at the end isnt just swept under the rug in the next season. That happens a lot in CW shows, where there will be a big brouhaha and then 2 episodes everyone’s sunshine and rainbows.

I hope they'll never end up on friendly terms again. I'm surprised Trish even dared to show her face after that stunt. I would have forgiven it had Trish defended herself or tried to defend Jessica, after her mother lost her temper again and was ready to tear people limb from limb. But Alisa finally reached a point of complete rationality and was ready to be taken in or killed by the Police. She was at her most harmless. And along comes Trish, splattering her brain all over the place.

I just watched Jess S2.

It was decent, but fell flat in someways without Killgrave or Luke Cage.
The attempt to delve into her past and have the plot revolve around that was a nice idea.
I’ve never read any of her comics, but the twist that happens 1/2 way shocked me.
That character and Jess’s complicated relationship in the last 7 episodes was interesting to watch.

However, The character of Trish almost comes off as a villain more than the above character.
She was extremely unlikeable and I had little sympathy for her.
I was more sympathetic with Jeri Hogarth until the penultimate episode.
Malcom was my favorite character this season(probably he was more assertive)

Pryce Cheng felt like a wasted opportunity.
Oscar and his son trying to be a surrogate family for Jess was a nice contrast to all her craziness,but it seemed like Oscar was more a plot device (and "other" device wink)

I loled at how Jess lectured Malcolm that getting "action" is no better than drugs.
BEYOTCH, youre drunk 24/7 and ****ing random boytoys in bars and down the hall after they fix your toilet/print illegal govt documents. You little hypocrite!

My favorite episode was 7 since there was a lot of backstory/flashbacks.
It was great to see -------- again in ep 10. It shows you how compelling that person was.

Overall: 7/10
(We need a compelling antagonist and some more likeable characters)

The second to last ranked MCU Netflix Season. (Iron Fist is 6.5/10 )

i LOVE your review :woot::woot::woot:

This whole season was a mess, but still better than Iron Fist.

I wish they up'd the budget of the series.

Thanks for your kind words KevTravels.

One other thing about both seasons of Jess is that I think 9-10 episodes/season would "flow" smoother. It feels like it builds to a point , then we're in a holding pattern for a few episodes and then it progresses.

Also, while this is a street level show, I wish there were some longer and better choreographed fights. There were mostly shoves/pushes , jumps, and 1 explosion. I think the longest fight is against the prison guy Dale and even then it was brief.
I don't want Jess to be DD 2.0, but since this is not a special effects heavy program, I think they could do more to liven it up a little.

What didn't make sense about her motivation? I bought it as the desperation of someone who had a deep-seated inferiority complex. I don't like what she did but I understand what lead her to that point, which is what really matters.

Season 1 of Iron Fist was better overall than this.

What didn't make sense about her motivation? I bought it as the desperation of someone who had a deep-seated inferiority complex. I don't like what she did but I understand what lead her to that point, which is what really matters.

Hey, if “inferiority complex” works for you, great. It’s a valid interpretation. So is that she’s been suppressing an insane jealousy of Jessica that finally gets out. Or that she’s just a whiny, entitled rhymes-with-witch, a grown-up Veruca Salt. Or she just has really, really complicated mommy issues. All I know is that she goes from successful career woman looking to step up to the next level to criminal who commits assault, a couple counts of kidnapping and straight-up murder (and instead of going to jail, gets super powers!). And at the end of it all I was left scratching my head thinking, ummm, ok, I guess.

I still enjoyed the series, better than most here it seems, but Trish didn’t work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"