Jessica Jones Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the thing is that some of her more flashy powers like flight she doesn't use so much. But her strength and durability are of the type that are always on rather than something she chooses to activate like flight is.

Didn't she stop using her flight after her run in with the Purple Man?

If I recall correctly it was never an easy thing to master in the first place and after her run in with Kilgrave and subsequent hiatus due to being in the hospital for several months after the Avengers beat the crap out of her when she attacked them; she kinda went out of practice and didn't try again during the fullness of the Alias run. I don't know though that it was some specific choice due to PTSD or something.

I wonder if in the series it'll be that she can only jump high but then once she gets over her emotional arc, she discovers she can fly.

But she already knew she could fly before all this happened to her.

But she already knew she could fly before all this happened to her.

Nope. Melissa Rosenberg, the showrunner of Jessica Jones, stated:

She doesn’t fly but she can jump many stories, and she lands really badly, which is why she doesn’t do it too often. And the less you see it, the more believable it is.

She's speaking in present tense I think and from that POV yes, she doesn't fly. That's my interpretation of her remarks at any rate. She never said she can't fly. She said she doesn't fly.

Y'know, it just occurred to me last night when I was thinking about the "clock" trailer that she reminds me of a former girlfriend of mine when I lived in the Bay Area years ago. A classically trained violinist; she wasn't super strong (although she was "not" to be trifled with....) and she couldn't jump over buildings or anything like that. She was a punk mariachi. I think she liked being a mariachi because she thought the clothes were cool (they consisted of a black Traje and Platas [silver]). She could drink virtually everyone I knew completely under the table, liked housekeeping a shade less than cancer, referred to Coca-Cola as "plasma" (edit; and considered it a breakfast drink), and used to complain about me waking her up "at the crack of dusk". All in all a pretty interesting individual and would have made a pretty good vampire.

Oh yeah.....her heels were some pretty fearsome weapons when she got pissed off.

Last edited:
She's speaking in present tense I think and from that POV yes, she doesn't fly. That's my interpretation of her remarks at any rate. She never said she can't fly. She said she doesn't fly.

I never took it that way and still probably won't as I expect her not to fly at all in the series. If she does -- great, but if she doesn't, I wont be let down by the silly sort of reasoning you used up there.

I never took it that way and still probably won't as I expect her not to fly at all in the series. If she does -- great, but if she doesn't, I wont be let down by the silly sort of reasoning you used up there.

We'll just see what they decide. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be fine. I'd rather like to see a crash landing followed by some prime expletives.:woot:

If I recall correctly it was never an easy thing to master in the first place and after her run in with Kilgrave and subsequent hiatus due to being in the hospital for several months after the Avengers beat the crap out of her when she attacked them; she kinda went out of practice and didn't try again during the fullness of the Alias run. I don't know though that it was some specific choice due to PTSD or something.

I just pulled out the comics (Alias and The Pulse) this morning to read before the series comes out. I only read the run(s) once, so would like to get reacquainted with the character. Could be a bad move, like reading a Harry Potter book before seeing the a movie, but I have faith in Marvel and don't expect to see a specific arc anyway.

We've known this for months, but I guess Marvel thought they'd announce it...

Marvel Television and Netflix announced today that film and television director S.J. Clarkson, who has directed such notable shows as “Orange is the New Black,” “Bates Motel,” and “Dexter,” has helmed the first two episodes of their Netflix Original Series "Marvel’s Jessica Jones." Clarkson also served as an Executive Producer on the premiere episode. The series will be streaming everywhere that Netflix is available on November 20.

“S.J.'s vision of the material is spectacular. She drew performances from our cast that are nothing short of remarkable,” said Executive Producer/Head of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb. “When the world gets to know Jessica Jones' name it will be in no small part from S.J.'s sparkling talent. We can't wait to work with her again."

Prepare to uncover Jessica's world of Alias Investigations when Season 1 of “Marvel’s Jessica Jones” premieres with 13 one-hour episodes on November 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM PT in all territories where Netflix is available.After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

The series stars Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones, David Tennant as Kilgrave, Mike Colter as Luke Cage, Rachael Taylor as Patricia “Trish” Walker, and Carrie-Anne Moss. "Marvel’s Jessica Jones" is Executive Produced by series Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg (“Twilight,” “Dexter”) and Liz Friedman ("Elementary," "House"), along with Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Marvel's Daredevil”), who also serves as Marvel’s Head of Television.

"Marvel's Jessica Jones" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.

48 more days. The initial Netflix announcement video is really growing on me. I hope that's the main theme in that trailer.

Probably within a week we should have our first actual trailer with footage.

So here's a question...apparently in the comics, the Scarlet Witch made it so Jessica couldn't be Mind Controlled again. How is that going to be explained this time around?

So here's a question...apparently in the comics, the Scarlet Witch made it so Jessica couldn't be Mind Controlled again. How is that going to be explained this time around?

I think it was Jean Grey, but yeah, they can't really do that can they?

Also, does anyone think we'll see the other Jessica pop up at some point later on?

did-david-tennant-really-just-reveal-the-next-marvel-superhero-309167.jpg

I'd love to see Jessica Drew but I don't think she'll show up here.

Not a clue. Dr. Strange could do the job but he hasn't been introduced yet. Though given that his origin is a long time in the making he's probably already had his successful career, had his accident which damaged his hands and done his world wide search for a fix to his problem already. He's likely studying with the Ancient One in the far east right now as JJ's show is going on. It is possible however that they might set his backstory even further back and by the time JJ's show is going on, he's already the new Sorcerer Supreme. It just depends on how they set the timeline for events. We know Spider-man is already up and running and his origin takes far less time to set up than Strange's.

I've been following this and the Who would you like to see as Captain Marvel threads and something occurs to me. It seems like the women are portrayed to be not as mentally tough as their male counterparts (use CA and Thor as examples, but others can be found). There's this element of mind control or lack of mental toughness or fragility (not to say women are the only ones who have had this problem) that runs in these female characters.

I'm not quite sure I've got my finger entirely on what's bothering me about this......it's like, yes the women are tough nuts, but they'll crack easier than the boys.

Maybe you think your supposed to feel that way because of the strong feminist voice that has made it's presence felt recently. Look at Mad Max, Theron got praise for playing a strong female character who seemingly had as much grit and testosterone as a man. Interesting character, but if that's the only type of female character portrayal that can be considered strong and positive then count me out. Any type of fragility will seemingly get criticized, even by some men. Political BS.

Last edited:
Maybe you think your supposed to feel that way because of the strong feminist voice that has made it's presence felt recently. Look at Mad Max, Theron got praise for playing a strong female character who seemingly had as much grit and testosterone as a man. Interesting character, but if that's the only type of female character portrayal that can be considered strong and positive then count me out. Any type of fragility will seemingly get criticized, even by some men. Political BS.

I'm not really the type that thinks I'm supposed to feel a particular way about anything in particular. I tend to think there's a mix of personality types within gender as well as everything else. I suppose it comes down to what the writer/director is trying to accomplish. Ultimately we'll see how the movies treat the characters and hope it makes for some interesting ones (and I'll include DS, BP, Inhumans, etc.).

I was referring, of course, to the comic book characters (created many, many, years ago) as we haven't even seen the show/movie. It'll be interesting to see how the characters are presented. I suspect it will be more positive than the comics.

I've been following this and the Who would you like to see as Captain Marvel threads and something occurs to me. It seems like the women are portrayed to be not as mentally tough as their male counterparts (use CA and Thor as examples, but others can be found). There's this element of mind control or lack of mental toughness or fragility (not to say women are the only ones who have had this problem) that runs in these female characters.

I'm not quite sure I've got my finger entirely on what's bothering me about this......it's like, yes the women are tough nuts, but they'll crack easier than the boys.

Well Thor is a god and Steve is a super soldier designed to have very few weaknesses. All of the others have mental issues. And personally, giving them mental issues to overcome is giving them better character treatment. I'd prefer a mentally ill, problematic, three dimensional hero to a Marty Stu or Mary Sue. Writing a Mary Sue character is not promoting equality and making a well written female character, it's making a badly written character. An attempt to write a strong female character is in itself sexist; writers should make strong characters regardless of their gender.

Jessica is one of the strongest characters in the MCU so far and I'd put her far ahead of Furiosa in Mad Max just for the fact that Jessica feels more like a person with issues than most other characters. I mean, the showrunner is a woman and I doubt she's thinking of how to make her a damsel and other characters the heroes, like Luke Cage.

I don't know jessica at all. I don't really care if she is a "strong" character. As long as she is a well rounded and interesting character that will be enough for me.
Bridget Jones was anything but a strong character, but she was very likable for her weaknesses. Not saying jessica can't be strong, just that she shouldn't be just strong. For a tv series she will have to have more to her than that.

Nice, I hope we really get the trailer, the 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"