The Amazing Spider-Man Less CG, More STUNTS In Amazing Spider-Man

And I still don't know why I find it funny that people still associate practical stunts and effects with "realism"

Well, I guess that I am one of those people. Cant help it. I really want to see Spidey can do some really crazy s***.

^^ As do I. However, I think a combination of CGI and practical will work. Well, hopefully. :up:

When people refer to realism in Spider-Man, I think they mean like...

Whenever you see CGI Spidey flying all over the place, there's always something that just feels a little odd, y'know... that's an obvious giveaway that it ISN'T an actual person.

Whereas with the route they're taking, that seems to be more practical effects orientated, should seem much more... I dunno, real? lol.

When people refer to realism in Spider-Man, I think they mean like...

Whenever you see CGI Spidey flying all over the place, there's always something that just feels a little odd, y'know... that's an obvious giveaway that it ISN'T an actual person.

Whereas with the route they're taking, that seems to be more practical effects orientated, should seem much more... I dunno, real? lol.

Interesting. I know what your are saying. I thought that means like...if the realism..then Spider Man's agile, speed, strength, spider sense will go close to the Batman's level or something like that. Make him looks like....IDK.

Interesting. I know what your are saying. I thought that means like...if the realism..then Spider Man's agile, speed, strength, spider sense will go close to the Batman's level or something like that. Make him looks like....IDK.

For that, I think they're going to stick with the slow motion thing, everything around him will look (to him) in slow motion, and he'll look extremely fast to somebody looking at him.

This is just an assumption from this set vid where it seems like he's dodging bullets, which I'm confident will look freaking awesome in the final footage.

[YT]Cw0dWYtnWb8[/YT]

I am glad to see the film taking this direction. What I admire most about Hong Kong action films is their reliance on artful choreography, strong stunt units (e.g. the Jackie Chan Stunt Team) and wire work. Western film producers seem to loathe wire work, and I do not understand why. Perhaps it is because wire work limits the scope of exaggeration for an action sequence, but I would rather see people doing work on wires than tons of green/blue screen work. I have already seen quite a few clips of this film where Spidey is swinging from a crane through an actual city street. I have seen stuntmen doing their own fights and flips, including a scene in which Spidey chases a truck and front flips into the bed. I feel that this level of realism will make the action sequences more intense and believable. Furthermore, we will finally have a Spidey that behaves like Spidey. I love the original trilogy, but I feel that Spider-Man was too stiff in most of the fight and action sequences.

Last edited:
Those scenes aren't bad, but they still incorporate digital technology. Part of that downhill ski scene is clearly an animation on a screen while the actor is in front of the screen. When I am talking about live stunt work and wires, I am speaking of good old fashioned hard work and death defiance ala Jackie Chan.

Jackie Chan Slides Down Rope Lights From Four Stories Up
[YT]f41w-vxaLLA[/YT]

There is also the talent of one mister Tony Jaa

Tony Jaa Runs on the Shoulders of a Crowd and Jumps Over/Under Cars
[YT]snMARIWsnwg[/YT]

I am already seeing similar stunt work in ASM, as I have already seen a scene in which Spider-Man performs a crazy frankensteiner that ends with a spin rather than a straight somersault. There is also the scene where Spidey grabs the bed of a truck and front flips into the bed. I have seen a scene where Spidey is hanging off of a moving city bus and jumps off into a tuck and roll. Lastly, I have scene a scene where Spidey is hanging off the side of a Penske moving truck. If the film can maintain that kind of action sequencing, I know we will be in for a treat.

Last edited:
For that, I think they're going to stick with the slow motion thing, everything around him will look (to him) in slow motion, and he'll look extremely fast to somebody looking at him.

This is just an assumption from this set vid where it seems like he's dodging bullets, which I'm confident will look freaking awesome in the final footage.

[YT]Cw0dWYtnWb8[/YT]

Yeah, It is kinda like... I forget what is his name .. in that screen-test for this movie. Pretty cool.

Right now, I have no comment. I rather just wait and see.

I am glad to see the film taking this direction. What I admire most about Hong Kong action films is their reliance on artful choreography, strong stunt units (e.g. the Jackie Chan Stunt Team) and wire work. Western film producers seem to loathe wire work, and I do not understand why. Perhaps it is because wire work limits the scope of exaggeration for an action sequence, but I would rather see people doing work on wires than tons of green/blue screen work. I have already seen quite a few clips of this film where Spidey is swinging from a crane through an actual city street. I have seen stuntmen doing their own fights and flips, including a scene in which Spidey chases a truck and front flips into the bed. I feel that this level of realism will make the action sequences more intense and believable. Furthermore, we will finally have a Spidey that behaves like Spidey. I love the original trilogy, but I feel that Spider-Man was too stiff in most of the fight and action sequences.

Well said.

^^ I think he's come so close to dieing more than once. The guy was insane at one time.

I think this is good news (I think!!??), there's no denying Vic Armstrongs credentials but I just worry how you make Spiderman 'Amazing' without CGI. Raimi's films were definately on dodgy CG ground sometimes, I never really bought into Venom or Sandman existing in the same way as I did Doc Ock. Hopefully this will be the perfect mix...and not like that dodgy bit in Spiderman 1 where he is carrying Mary Jane for the first time, amazing CGI swing by the camera - CUT TO - Mary Jane holding a stiff mannequin like Spidey, do you know the bit I mean! Ha!

I'm definately interested in seeing what they cut together from the recent location shots.

^^ I think he's come so close to dieing more than once. The guy was insane at one time.

Jackie Chan has suffered so many repeat injuries and dangerous situations. I still remember when he slid down that building. I think it was for "Who Am I." Honestly, once Jackie Chan retires from acting, I would love for him to be choreographer and adviser for action sequences for international films. I have enjoyed his films ever since I first saw Drunken Master when I was around 12 or 13 years old. The man knows how to put on a believable show. I could only imagine what his wisdom could bring to a project like Amazing Spider-Man.

I think this is good news (I think!!??), there's no denying Vic Armstrongs credentials but I just worry how you make Spiderman 'Amazing' without CGI. Raimi's films were definately on dodgy CG ground sometimes, I never really bought into Venom or Sandman existing in the same way as I did Doc Ock. Hopefully this will be the perfect mix...and not like that dodgy bit in Spiderman 1 where he is carrying Mary Jane for the first time, amazing CGI swing by the camera - CUT TO - Mary Jane holding a stiff mannequin like Spidey, do you know the bit I mean! Ha!

I'm definately interested in seeing what they cut together from the recent location shots.

Hahaha I definitely get which scene you mean and I thought the exact same thing. It looked totally ****ed up!

Jackie Chan has suffered so many repeat injuries and dangerous situations. I still remember when he slid down that building. I think it was for "Who Am I." Honestly, once Jackie Chan retires from acting, I would love for him to be choreographer and adviser for action sequences for international films. I have enjoyed his films ever since I first saw Drunken Master when I was around 12 or 13 years old. The man knows how to put on a believable show. I could only imagine what his wisdom could bring to a project like Amazing Spider-Man.

Oh I'd LOVE for Spidey's movement to have inspiration from Jackie Chan and other great artists! And yeah, having Jackie Chan share some of his knowledge to a film like this would be awesome indeed!

Hahaha I definitely get which scene you mean and I thought the exact same thing. It looked totally ****ed up!

Oh I'd LOVE for Spidey's movement to have inspiration from Jackie Chan and other great artists! And yeah, having Jackie Chan share some of his knowledge to a film like this would be awesome indeed!

Or he can even make his own Japanese Spidey movie lol.

Happy and glad that they are going away from those joke of movies that Raimi did with the overuse of CG.
The flying sequences were dull and boring to me.
F A K E

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"