Justice League Lounge of Justice - Part 83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. I've seen Reloaded several times over the years but I hadn't seen Revolutions since 2003 because I remember being so angry and disgusted and let down with the movie that i never wanted to watch it again. 15 years later, I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't what I remembered it to be. I remembered it being a relentlessly bleak movie where everyone died but it really wasn't that. I could swear that Neo, Trinity, Morpheus and most of the main cast had died but it was really only Trinity and Neo...I guess is out there somewhere still?

I could still see why it wasn't well received because although the ending is hopeful and bright, its bittersweet and maybe not the ending audiences in 2003 wanted out of this trilogy but in retrospect it really was the only way it could have ended and felt appropriate with the story the Wachowski's were telling. Revolutions still to this day is incredibly visually spectacular, the whole war sequence with Zion vs the machines, My God, what an epic sequence. And Neo's Superman fight with Smith at the end was just beautiful to look at. It makes me wonder what these guys would have done with a Superman movie. I think if they had done it, it simulteanously would have been the most epic, visually spectacular Superman film ever made....and the most frustatingly incomprehensible Superman movie ever made at the same time. I could see them really going to town with the Superman lore but ultimately it may not have been well received....maybe about the same as Zack's movies. It would have been interesting to see, nonetheless. lol

Outlaw King

pBg8QMJ.jpg

This movie got press cause it showed Chris Pine doing full frontal, but I swear that I didn't see it or I missed it. lawd. Probably one of them blink and you missed moments cause I didn't see anything. Florence Pugh is very good here with her limited role, she has one of them round faces that kinda makes her look a bit chubby, but then she takes off her clothes and goddamn, snickers level thicc. Aaron Taylor Johnson always seems to be in a different movie tone and acting wise, I'm sure as hell no expert when it comes to the Scottish accent, but he didn't sound right to me. One can still tell that he was having a lot of fun with this role tho. The director cut about 30 minutes of footage and you can tell, it ain't bad by any means, but you feel there are moments left untold, less meat on the bone etc. I think the director watched the GoT Battle of the Bastahs over and over and decided to shoot the main action sequence in a similar style, but just make it longer, I ain't joking. I admire NETFLIX for funding this, it sure as hell wasn't going to make any real money at the box office. Disney doing their own thing, I pray to Zod that Netflix can keep it together, I like comicbook stories as much anyone here, but goddamn, only comicbook and Star Wars stuff, IF Netflix ever goes under is a bleak view in my mind for the film world. I admire this kind of movie even got made, and it I could have watched the director cut of it, it just feels like they don't make movies like this anymore. A solid 8.

Is this one of those fascinating mess movies?

Outlaw King is NOT a mess. Far from it, imo, though as I was watching it, I couldn't help but feel like it had the potential to be better than it ultimately was.

Outlaw King is NOT a mess. Far from it, imo, though as I was watching it, I couldn't help but feel like it had the potential to be better than it ultimately was.

Those 30 minutes or more of footage that was cut, it leaves you wanting more. I blame the goddamn test audience. It kinda feels odd too, since this is primarily a netflix release, so the length shouldn't seem to be an issue in the first place. Eh.

Those 30 minutes or more of footage that was cut, it leaves you wanting more. I blame the goddamn test audience. It kinda feels odd too, since this is primarily a netflix release, so the length shouldn't seem to be an issue in the first place. Eh.
Yeah, I can't disagree with the reviews claiming the 2nd half is too battle-focused, and I can't help but imagine a lot of the stuff that was cut was likely the quieter character moments from that portion.

Yeah, I can't disagree with the reviews claiming the 2nd half is too battle-focused, and I can't help but imagine a lot of the stuff that was cut was likely the quieter character moments from that portion.

I think the original cut was around 2:45 or something like that.

This series keeps shaping up better and better.

I just realized it's kind of weird we have an official set photo of that show already, it's in production, and yet we still don't even know who the cast is.

After all the years of being mistaken for Billy Dee Williams, Carl Weathers finally takes his rightful place in the Star Wars universe

Go get that money, ol timer

Just watched Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. I've seen Reloaded several times over the years but I hadn't seen Revolutions since 2003 because I remember being so angry and disgusted and let down with the movie that i never wanted to watch it again. 15 years later, I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't what I remembered it to be. I remembered it being a relentlessly bleak movie where everyone died but it really wasn't that. I could swear that Neo, Trinity, Morpheus and most of the main cast had died but it was really only Trinity and Neo...I guess is out there somewhere still?

I could still see why it wasn't well received because although the ending is hopeful and bright, its bittersweet and maybe not the ending audiences in 2003 wanted out of this trilogy but in retrospect it really was the only way it could have ended and felt appropriate with the story the Wachowski's were telling. Revolutions still to this day is incredibly visually spectacular, the whole war sequence with Zion vs the machines, My God, what an epic sequence. And Neo's Superman fight with Smith at the end was just beautiful to look at. It makes me wonder what these guys would have done with a Superman movie. I think if they had done it, it simulteanously would have been the most epic, visually spectacular Superman film ever made....and the most frustatingly incomprehensible Superman movie ever made at the same time. I could see them really going to town with the Superman lore but ultimately it may not have been well received....maybe about the same as Zack's movies. It would have been interesting to see, nonetheless. lol

I love all 3 Matrix films. Revolutions was so freaking epic. And Zack actually already gave us the Neo-Smith burly brawl with the Superman-Zod fight. The only thing missing was rain.

Three episodes into Bodyguard, and I'm having a hard time seeing what others see in Richard Madden as a potential Batman and/or Bond. He feels a bit miscast here, imo, and would seem even more miscast in either of those roles. He's a decent actor, but hardened badass he is not. Whenever he goes into stoic bodyguard mode on this show, it just involves a lot of jaw-clenching. He's too boyish for this, imo.

Man, I'm still shook at that DD S3 hallway fight. He should be called "The Devil of Hall's Kitchen".

Three episodes into Bodyguard, and I'm having a hard time seeing what others see in Richard Madden as a potential Batman and/or Bond. He feels a bit miscast here, imo, and would seem even more miscast in either of those roles. He's a decent actor, but hardened badass he is not. Whenever he goes into stoic bodyguard mode on this show, it just involves a lot of jaw-clenching. He's too boyish for this, imo.

You know, i was thinking the same thing - the show was on in the uk over the summer and my pals all raved about it, i saw the twitter reactions etc and loved 'line of duty' so gave this a go - the first episode was gripping then it kind got boring, he almost turned into an android when on duty. The moment he flipped and the home secretary said something on the lines of 'the training has made you a monster' i felt that didn't fit the journey we had seen, as he initially started off caring for his kids etc and wanting them off the train etc then got promoted and just kept quiet.

But back to Bond/Batman, i felt he was wearing lifts in his shoes, he was too narrow to be that tall and again, looks young - i felt the bond rumours were just jumping on the bandwagon - i would much rather see Elba as Bond - at least i would feel safe around him, lol. But on a more serious note - have you checked out Poldark... Aiden Turner is ripe for Bond rumour.

But on a more serious note - have you checked out Poldark... Aiden Turner is ripe for Bond rumour.
Not Poldark, however, i did just check out And Then There Were None (thanks to the recommendation of @ArmsHeldOut ), which Turner's also in, and yeah. Definitely see it with that guy - both Bond and Batman. He'd be good for either, imo.

supermanloisheader.jpg

This is by FAR my favorite pic of Tyler as Superman; matter of fact, this is the first time I feel he actually looks like Superman (in picture form, I didn't have much problem with him in motion); so yeah, he's growing on me.

I HATE tho how they can't let go of the Donner-verse, and even more so, I hate how the never-ending clinging corrupts both ends; this isn't Reeve and Kidder, they'll never be, these aren't those movies, so why try and be "second rate"?? And these new versions will never be their own thing and stand in their own merits because they desperately try to be like "Hey! You love the Reeve version, right??! Look, we're just like that!! Love us too!!!".

It's cheap. I always had this philosophy that as a creator, you can very easily and know exactly how to use a "trick" to make people like your work, basically, when the decision behind a creative choice is "because people like this" then you're ****ing your work out, it cheapens it. I know I'm more than likely alone in this, but to me that kinda of attitude takes any kind of artistic integrity away from the work, but of course people eat it up like candy, because people want what they know they like, people want comfort.

Nostalgia is the enemy of innovation.

/Rant over.

supermanloisheader.jpg

This is by FAR my favorite pic of Tyler as Superman; matter of fact, this is the first time I feel he actually looks like Superman (in picture form, I didn't have much problem with him in motion); so yeah, he's growing on me.

I HATE tho how they can't let go of the Donner-verse, and even more so, I hate how the never-ending clinging corrupts both ends; this isn't Reeve and Kidder, they'll never be, these aren't those movies, so why try and be "second rate"?? And these new versions will never be their own thing and stand in their own merits because they desperately try to be like "Hey! You love the Reeve version, right??! Look, we're just like that!! Love us too!!!".

It's cheap. I always had this philosophy that as a creator, you can very easily and know exactly how to use a "trick" to make people like your work, basically, when the decision behind a creative choice is "because people like this" then you're ****ing your work out, it cheapens it. I know I'm more than likely alone in this, but to me that kinda of attitude takes any kind of artistic integrity away from the work, but of course people eat it up like candy, because people want what they know they like, people want comfort.

Nostalgia is the enemy of innovation.

/Rant over.
Just because they use elements inspired by the Donnerverse, doesn't mean they aren't creating an incarnation of their own. As I have stated here endlessly, I do NOT like the Donnerverse version of Superman. Why? Because, well, Tarantino's monologue about the Clark Kent of those movies in Kill Bill wasn't far off the mark. Clark Kent, to everyone he works with at least and encounters in Metropolis, is purely an act in those movies. In Tyler's version, he's not. They made a point that he really IS clumsy sometimes. Kara can't stop pointing out what a dork he is in general. But he's NOT, at any point, a fabricated caricature. Sure, he plays up the bashfulness around people like Ms. Grant, but then she still manages to get him flustered for real. And when he's at ease with the people who know him best, with Jimmy and Kara, he's still that guy for the most part. And on the flipside he has no trouble showing some backbone as a reporter, like in his first confrontation with Lena Luthor, for example. In their universe, he's a world renowned journalist, and he carries that confidence with him, even as Clark. If anything, I'd say his Clark is more like Dean Cain's. And he's also still got that corn-fed dorkiness even as Superman. The general public is just blind to it because of the pedestal they put him on, but Kara holds no such illusions. He's just that farm kid from Kansas, both in and out of the suit. I think the scene where he first meets the DEO is exemplary of that: THEY see a god in their midst, who has done legendary things, while Kara sees him still behaving like her dorky cousin. The SG version of Superman is informed by Supermen of the past (as there are also Superman moments that feel more Reeves - as in George - than Reeve), as any interpretation of a character so iconically played by multiple people is bound to be - but the summation of those influences is very much its own thing that's perfectly designed for the world it was intended for. He's a lot more modern than you give him credit for (honestly, he'd be right at home in many scenes lifted straight out of some recent Rebirth issues, tbh).

As toxic as you may find nostalgia, I find the urge to make dramatic changes for the sake of being "hip" and modern to be just as dangerous, tbh. Changes and creativity are great, but when you're dealing with a character that's been beloved across multiple generations, just don't lose sight of the qualities that made people fall in love with him in the first place.

I re-read that later 2003 draft of Abrams' Flyby yesterday, and that was definitely a modernization that made some dramatic changes to the mythos, but it still captured the joy and spirit of Superman in a way recent movie incarnations have not, imo. I don't see why people insist on making it one extreme or the other - Donnverse or Snyderverse. There's a vast gulf of real estate between the two where I believe a happy medium can be found. The SG version may be closer to the Donnerverse version on this invisible scale, but it's also not nearly as far down on there and closer to that happy medium, imo. I think Abrams was even closer.

Last edited:

Manners maketh man and Madden has this British gentleman thing going that makes him very manly in spite of his boyish loks

so stupid. This will just split votes with Black Panther now but that's good neither deserves Oscar attention other than some technical categories. However we all know Panther is getting a lot of nominations regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"