MICHAEL KEATON RETURNS (or at least in discussion) AS BATMAN

Same, and why did WB/DC acted like his return was a done deal?

I feel like most people have been a bit jumpy in regards to Keaton coming back. I guess this is why.

He doesn't seem too committed and clearly has other things on his mind (upcoming projects). Plus, flying over to London during this COVID nightmare would spook anyone. At 69, he needs to be careful.

WB are no doubt terrified if he did walk because it would require a big rewrite a month before they start shooting.

I will still watch it if Keaton isn’t in it, but my excitement for this film will severely diminish if he drops out. At the moment, Keaton coming back of Batman is the only thing I am looking forward to.

I feel like most people have been a bit jumpy in regards to Keaton coming back. I guess this is why.

He doesn't seem too committed and clearly has other things on his mind (upcoming projects). Plus, flying over to London during this COVID nightmare would spook anyone. At 69, he needs to be careful.

WB are no doubt terrified if he did walk because it would require a big rewrite a month before they start shooting.

True.

Oh, if they lose Keaton I imagine the hype for the movie would die. It also doesn't help that it's going against Captain Marvel 2, and if Maguire and Garfield ever gets confirmed for Spidey 3 then WB would have huge eggs on their face.

And DC have announced their upcoming Bat-Keaton comics, supposedly filling in the gap between Batman Returns and the Flash movie. Whilst I'd still be glad to see those, it all feels a bit 'previous' (to use a London-ism)!

Exactly and really, in terms of legacy casting for a MULTIVERSE, who does WB have that would generate as much hype?

Carter and Bale?

We've already seen Carter and Bale would no doubt be even more reluctant than Keaton.

If they want the whole multiverse/legacy thing, then it has to be Keaton. He brings the star power, still looks good for his age and has a whole generation (if not more) of fans that love his interpretation. It would be a big blow for WB.

Really hope Keaton ends up doing this. He’s not replaceable.
The best bet would be Bale. Apparantly Kilmer has been ill and Clooney isn't a loved Batman. Nobody knows who Bruce Thomas is. JDM as Thomas Wayne?

Otherwise this would require a serious rewrite...

Exactly and really, in terms of legacy casting for a MULTIVERSE, who does WB have that would generate as much hype?

Carter and Bale?

We've already seen Carter and Bale would no doubt be even more reluctant than Keaton.

If they want the whole multiverse/legacy thing, then it has to be Keaton. He brings the star power, still looks good for his age and has a whole generation (if not more) of fans that love his interpretation. It would be a big blow for WB.

Exactly, and after what happened between Nolan and WB I highly doubt Nolan would give his ok for Bale to return because I just don't see Bale returning without Nolan's ok, and of course Bale been filming Thor 3 so Disney/Marvel already scooped him up from WB.

Yep, if they want it to work then they're gonna have to find someway to keep Keaton onboard.

And DC have announced their upcoming Bat-Keaton comics, supposedly filling in the gap between Batman Returns and the Flash movie. Whilst I'd still be glad to see those, it all feels a bit 'previous' (to use a London-ism)!
Yep, exactly. I also got first hand info from a company that makes licensed merchandise that they’ve already been asked to do a ton of Keaton Batman merch (and some from the other 2 as well), so DC is going to go all in on this. Won’t name them as I was told in confidence, but it’s no secret that WB/DC would want to cash in on the nostalgia for Keaton

All Keaton said was he hasn’t had time to read the script yet (and that covid is worrisome).

I think he’s just being cautious. He hasn’t read the script. If it sucks or his part is underwritten, then yeah. He probably likes the idea of coming back as an older Batman, but can’t fully commit if the part isn’t interesting to him.

But Muschietti strikes me as someone who could convince him with rewrites or whatever to please him in the end.

Yep, exactly. I also got first hand info from a company that makes licensed merchandise that they’ve already been asked to do a ton of Keaton Batman merch (and some from the other 2 as well), so DC is going to go all in on this. Won’t name them as I was told in confidence, but it’s no secret that WB/DC would want to cash in on the nostalgia for Keaton
That's interesting...

Not to mention the suit, the Batmobile, production design elements that resemble the Burton movies will all have been developed during pre production. All that would be money down the drain if he leaves now, citing health concerns...

I wonder if Burton's lack of involvement is a real sticking point for him. They should have brought him on as consultant to grease the wheel.

Yep, exactly. I also got first hand info from a company that makes licensed merchandise that they’ve already been asked to do a ton of Keaton Batman merch

Great. Maybe now I can finally wear a good quality Keaton Batman shirt.

Warner Brothers is always Warner Brothers and it wouldnt even be that shocking if they screwed this one up. But wouldnt it be possible to include him via shooting in LA in soundstages and infront of green screns later? yes, I get it, they would have to make rewrites/make his role smaller, but to include him would still be possible.

Would be a rather huge loss for WB if they screw this one up. Becouse like mentioned before they would have to get like Christian Bale to come back or something, and we know that is very unlikely.

But yeah, he doesnt say that he wont do it either in that article.

I wonder if Burton's lack of involvement is a real sticking point for him. They should have brought him on as consultant to grease the wheel.

I can't help but imagine Keaton saying yes to WB if they give him and Burton Beetlejuice 2. Wasn't they about to do the sequel then WB bailed on letting them do it? Or I'm I remembering it wrong?

Historically, I think Beetlejuice 2 has always been more a case of WB trying to convince Burton and Keaton, rather than the other way around. We don't know under what circumstances the project was ultimately shelved, either.

I can't help but imagine Keaton saying yes to WB if they give him and Burton Beetlejuice 2. Wasn't they about to do the sequel then WB bailed on letting them do it? Or I'm I remembering it wrong?

It seemed like a mutual decision to me. They just couldn't crack the script and everyone walked away again.

All Keaton said was he hasn’t had time to read the script yet (and that covid is worrisome).

I think he’s just being cautious. He hasn’t read the script. If it sucks or his part is underwritten, then yeah. He probably likes the idea of coming back as an older Batman, but can’t fully commit if the part isn’t interesting to him.

But Muschietti strikes me as someone who could convince him with rewrites or whatever to please him in the end.

Well... He's supposed to have a Big role, the second protagonist if i'm right like Thomas Wayne in the comics Flashpoint.

But wouldnt it be possible to include him via shooting in LA in soundstages and infront of green screns later? yes, I get it, they would have to make rewrites/make his role smaller, but to include him would still be possible.

Yes, for this covid concerns, they could definitely shoot in a very safe environment.

It'll be the script. The reason he did Spider-Man was because he liked the workingman aspect to Vulture. The working class being sidelined.

I think if there's some kind of message inherent with Bruce Wayne for him to play with, being born into money and all that, reacting to the world of today coming from the world of the "1980s", that would seem to be up Keaton's alley. The role will definitely have to have some kind of message about today.

Hell, think of his last few blockbusters he's agreed to. The RoboCop remake, which wasn't very good, he was the best part. Or Dumbo. His attraction to it seems to be the message of corporate greed against the working class in the roles he's played.

Last edited:
WB are already making Fantastic Beasts at WB Leavesden (with Ezra Miller), and The Batman has just wrapped, so they've been working through lockdown (which started again in January following a 'Christmas break' and a confusing and sometimes random Postcode Lottery of tier systems) to make movies.

Last edited:
Ever since Keaton was first said to be involved I've been expecting to hear that Burton would be an exec producer or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"