MICHAEL KEATON RETURNS (or at least in discussion) AS BATMAN

The other question is what about the future? Keaton was rumoured to appear in more films in the DCEU and practically replace Affleck as its Batman. It was reported that he was to be a Nick Fury type of character for multiple entries, one of which is the Batgirl movie that's in development. What does it mean for those plans if he quits?
Good question.

The other question is what about the future? Keaton was rumoured to appear in more films in the DCEU and practically replace Affleck as its Batman. It was reported that he was to be a Nick Fury type of character for multiple entries, one of which is the Batgirl movie that's in development. What does it mean for those plans if he quits?

Nothing good.
I was hoping that after Flash, maybe the Gears would move and we might get a final Third Burton Batman movie.

It comes down to how much WB planned with Keaton and all.
But it would suck either way if he drops out.

IF Keaton were to actually drop out, I imagine they might pitch something similar to Bale in terms of future movies and stuff. And whether Bale would accept that, tough to say. I could see Bale itching to do some bigger movies again, especially with him doing Thor. He has said he'd love to be in a Star Wars film. Bale likes doing the big blockbusters as much as the arthouse stuff. I would imagine if Bale is seriously considering signing on, there might be some conflicting feelings especially if he didn't have Nolan's blessing. He'd be saying no to potentially a lot of money, and a pretty sweet gig.

And I hate to say it, but trying to build the future of the franchise on the back of a 70 year old actor may have been a bit of an odd strategy to begin with. As much as I would/will be there for anything involving Michael Keaton's Batman in a heartbeat. I'm still hoping the original plan goes through.

And I hate to say it, but trying to build the future of the franchise on the back of a 70 year old actor may have been a bit of an odd strategy to begin with. As much as I would/will be there for anything involving Michael Keaton's Batman in a heartbeat. I'm still hoping the original plan goes through.
It certainly seems WB have pinned a LOT on an assumption that Keaton would be there. Questionable decision if the deal wasn't done and dusted.

I don't think they were building or resting a franchise on Keaton's shoulders. It seems he would play a supporting role in future movies as an old Bruce Wayne (with no more suiting up).

He wouldn't have to do any heavy lifting in a Batman Beyond film and it would be a great paycheck for a man in his 70's. I think most people forget that Samuel L. Jackson is 72 now and working away on Marvel projects.

Keaton would work as a grouchy older mentor, but I just can't see Bale's Bruce Wayne in that role at all.

I don't think they were building or resting a franchise on Keaton's shoulders. It seems he would play a supporting role in future movies as an old Bruce Wayne (with no more suiting up).

He wouldn't have to do any heavy lifting in a Batman Beyond film and it would be a great paycheck for a man in his 70's. I think most people forget that Samuel L. Jackson is 72 now and working away on Marvel projects.

Keaton would work as a grouchy older mentor, but I just can't see Bale's Bruce Wayne in that role at all.

Maybe not in terms of the time commited, but in the sense of trying to cobble something and generate some excitement about a franchise that is in a bit of a mess, I think this "older Batman with nostalgic value" role is sort of the glue they're looking for. I mean let's be honest, Ezra Miller's Flash is not at all the selling point of this supposed Flash movie.

But at the same time, any big blockbuster franchise commitment is a pretty big commitment. It's more time spent flying around the world, away from his family/the ranch, doing press, less time on other passion projects he might want to pursue. Even if it's not a huge starring role, it would become a big part of his life. If Keaton is having any second thoughts, I can imagine him trying to figure out if his heart is really in it to jump in and spend a good chunk of his 70s playing this character again, and all that comes with that. I think it'd be understandable.

Fair point about Sam Jackson, but he also signed onto that role 13 years ago. I'm sure he can very easily ask to be killed off (again) whenever he's feeling done with it, if that day ever comes.

I totally agree that Keaton is a better fit for this older mentor role, though. And I have a lot of mixed feelings about Bale being involved. I'm just preparing myself for the disappointment if it doesn't pan out.

Maybe not in terms of the time commited, but in the sense of trying to cobble something and generate some excitement about a franchise that is in a bit of a mess, I think this "older Batman with nostalgic value" role is sort of the glue they're looking for. I mean let's be honest, Ezra Miller's Flash is not at all the selling point of this supposed Flash movie.

But at the same time, any big blockbuster franchise commitment is a pretty big commitment. It's more time spent flying around the world, away from his family/the ranch, doing press, less time on other passion projects he might want to pursue. Even if it's not a huge starring role, it would become a big part of his life. If Keaton is having any second thoughts, I can imagine him trying to figure out if his heart is really in it to jump in and spend a good chunk of his 70s playing this character again, and all that comes with that. I think it'd be understandable.

Fair point about Sam Jackson, but he also signed onto that role 13 years ago. I'm sure he can very easily ask to be killed off (again) whenever he's feeling done with it, if that day ever comes.

I totally agree that Keaton is a better fit for this older mentor role, though. And I have a lot of mixed feelings about Bale being involved. I'm just preparing myself for the disappointment if it doesn't pan out.

I think if WB lost Keaton that would be a pretty big blow to the Flash film, so I agree with you. It certainly wouldn't help WB in terms of their PR with fandom.

Imo, The likelihood of Bale even agreeing to appear is pretty much nil unless Nolan gives him his blessing .

The only other options for an older mentor Batman would be to either

A) Recast Batman yet again with another veteran or older actor playing a new version of Bruce Wayne in yet another continuity

B) Get George Clooney to reprise the role since Kilmer is still in recovery . And that would obviously be controversial and raise eyebrows even in the mainstream press , and would also likely be a non starter with Clooney himself anyway

C) They go the Thomas Wayne Flashpoint route and get Jefferey Dean Morgan back . Even that option is problematic since you can't build a "Nick Fury type Batman" character based on Thomas Wayne.

If not those three options, none of which are great, then you either drop the whole "old Batman mentor" thing and try to keep Affleck as part of the DCEU going forward, or you basically try to incorporate Pattinson's Batman into the DCEU, which again runs into a Nolan like issue with Matt Reeves .

They could also just drop the whole Batman thing all together ,but that would cause a major change in the script ,and would probably change the project overall, which would mean more delays.

I'm not saying these option are what I want, by any means. I'm saying these are the options WB would be left with if Keaton walks.

Last edited:
I remember when the initial rumors of Bale being involved with BvS came up, there was a lot of talk about him just playing a generic Batman that's not necessarily THE Dark Knight Trilogy Batman.

I don't think that's necessarily a great idea, but I mean if we're talking the existence of a multiverse here, there's nothing to say he can't be an alt-timeline version of Nolan's Batman where some different things happened and he didn't end up retired in Italy. They'd also be able to age him up if they wanted. I mean even in TDKR, he's meant to be like 40...but it's an old, beat up 40.

As wacky as that all sounds, it could be a way to have Bale back without doing anything to contradict Nolan's timeline.

I'll be amazed if Bale wants to sign up for multiple years himself. Sadly for WB, both Keaton and Bale are very picky and don't seem motivated by money.

Clooney's a non starter for all the obvious reasons. If I was WB, I'd drop the games and meet Keaton's demands regarding money and screentime. The COVID stuff is out of their control beyond the usual measures, but England seems to be in a much better place now.

I honestly don’t think Keaton won’t be in this. I’m sure they offered him the moon way back when and if Keaton’s most recent blurb genuinely spooked them, they likely offered him even more. They know Batman in this is a massive selling point.

I think if WB lost Keaton that would be a pretty big blow to the Flash film, so I agree with you. It certainly wouldn't help WB in terms of their PR with fandom.

Imo, The likelihood of Bale even agreeing to appear is pretty much nil unless Nolan gives him his blessing .

The only other options for an older mentor Batman would be to either

A) Recast Batman yet again with another veteran or older actor playing a new version of Bruce Wayne in yet another continuity

B) Get George Clooney to reprise the role since Kilmer is still in recovery . And that would obviously be controversial and raise eyebrows even in the mainstream press , and would also likely be a non starter with Clooney himself anyway

C) They go the Thomas Wayne Flashpoint route and get Jefferey Dean Morgan back . Even that option is problematic since you can't build a "Nick Fury type Batman" character based on Thomas Wayne.

If not those three options, none of which are great, then you either drop the whole "old Batman mentor" thing and try to keep Affleck as part of the DCEU going forward, or you basically try to incorporate Pattinson's Batman into the DCEU, which again runs into a Nolan like issue with Matt Reeves .

They could also just drop the whole Batman thing all together ,but that would cause a major change in the script ,and would probably change the project overall, which would mean more delays.

I'm not saying these option are what I want, by any means. I'm saying these are the options WB would be left with if Keaton walks.

Keaton doesn't need to be a nick fury type role. He can be (and will probably be) just a one-shot. Just give him a big role in this flashpoint movie (who seems to mix the flashpoint storyline and crisis on infinite earth, so the movie could end like these storylines) and conclude his arc in this one, by killing him for example like thomas wayne in the comic. One last stand for Bat keaton.

He doesn't need more.

I remember when the initial rumors of Bale being involved with BvS came up, there was a lot of talk about him just playing a generic Batman that's not necessarily THE Dark Knight Trilogy Batman.

I don't think that's necessarily a great idea, but I mean if we're talking the existence of a multiverse here, there's nothing to say he can't be an alt-timeline version of Nolan's Batman where some different things happened and he didn't end up retired in Italy. They'd also be able to age him up if they wanted. I mean even in TDKR, he's meant to be like 40...but it's an old, beat up 40.

As wacky as that all sounds, it could be a way to have Bale back without doing anything to contradict Nolan's timeline.

I thought about that possibility as well, but I think even that possibility is iffy in terms of Bale actually wanting to return for it.

Keaton doesn't need to be a nick fury type role. He can be (and will probably be) just a one-shot. Just give him a big role in this flashpoint movie (who seems to mix the flashpoint storyline and crisis on infinite earth, so the movie could end like these storylines) and conclude his arc in this one, by killing him for example like thomas wayne in the comic. One last stand for Bat keaton.

He doesn't need more.

At this point the question is beyond whether he's a Nick Fury type. It's about whether he would appear at all , one shot or not.

At this point the question is beyond whether he's a Nick Fury type. It's about whether he would appear at all , one shot or not.

yes, what i tried to say is "IF Keaton plays in flash, just let him be a one shot and a good bye to his character version".

He doesn't need more.

I have to highly disagree with killing Keaton Batman in The Flash Movie. Fans would hate it.

As for he doesn't need more? Two words. Batman Beyond.

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-2.gif

At this point it'd actually feel wrong to see any other actor drive that particular iteration of the Batmobile.

They could play the alternate dimension/timeline card and bring in Bill Murray as Burton Bats. :D

A real deep cut would be The forgotten Onstar Batman from 20 years ago :funny::D.
He sort of was the transition between Clooney and Bale .:funny:

569187645_1280x720.jpg

batman-onstar.jpg

Those commercials were actually the last time Michael Gough played Alfred before his passing in 2011.
hqdefault.jpg
E3w40Mu7vX-BO6vTwnyyvmRb0teNgA4uHmj6b0ISamcXWmBMeD67c_9dY5HdUj71230jTdfN-Umjgda5We6jrwOGUxy_RzvPfq4opD9ZzA

Last edited:
Hard to believe Michael Gough's been gone ten years.

Barbara Muschietti put a picture up on her Instagram of a bunch of walkie talkies (I know, hardly thrilling) with the caption ''The chaos before the storm''.

Looks like they really could be getting ready to shoot next week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"