Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Ming-Na Wen IS Agent Melinda May

Also, like, skill and speed both count for a lot when it comes to fight. Yes, the stock phrase of "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" is over used and a bit naive, but if you'e faster and just plain better than the people you come up against, your size does start to matter less.

Like, this guy talked about two MMA fighters of roughly the same skill, one man and one woman, who sparred and the man completely dominated. Except that they were sparring, it wasn't an actual fight, and roughly the same skill isn't the same as "a mind blowingly good fighter who compensates for her relative lack of size and strength with speed and skill."

Physically, yeah, women do have a slight disadvantage. But those who are truly exceptional can compensate for those disadvantages.

Truly Exceptional.
Sounds Like May to me.

Aaaand he's gone.

I stopped responding to that moron after his second day here because I knew he'd eventually choke on his own bile. Then he got into it with C. Lee and punched his own ticket.

Why do all the trolls tangle with C. Lee? It's like the worst ones come in with a death wish and make a beeline for the one admin who can fulfill it for them.

I try to be very open around here, but I really disliked that guy. There's only 3 or 4 people I've seen on the boards that really grind my gears either trying to discuss with them or reading their discussions with others and he was one of them. No need to bring up a point and say the same exact things over and over and over, we get it, you don't like something but you can't make everyone else hate it too haha.

Same here. It's not the fact the didn't like the show that bothered me,it's his arrogance.The condescending way he talks to people who does like the show.Fanboy like him just irritate me. Reminds me of a fanboy fringe group here on hype.

That said, back to May....

I've said earlier how much this show reminded me of The Sarah Connor chronicles, in terms of the show eventually turned out, opposed to what the fans expected it to be. One of the thing i really liked about TSCC is that sometimes, they devoted a whole episode focusing on one single character from that show. It would be great if they could do that on this show too, especially with May character. TONS of potential good storylines there.

Proof that Melinda May actually does know how to smile: She gave her boytoy Ward a lovely grin after she laid him out on the mat. :awesome: In fact, both of those dour misanthropes smiled at each other in that scene.

tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o3_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o2_250.gif
tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o5_250.gif

`LOL...boytoy...

Ming Na Wen looks pretty damn good for someone in her..50's is it?

Proof that Melinda May actually does know how to smile: She gave her boytoy Ward a lovely grin after she laid him out on the mat. :awesome: In fact, both of those dour misanthropes smiled at each other in that scene.

tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o3_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o2_250.gif
tumblr_mxose4heW61rqp224o5_250.gif

She's Ming the Merciless.

`LOL...boytoy...

Ming Na Wen looks pretty damn good for someone in her..50's is it?

Ming-Na's 50th birthday bash had a Star Wars theme. She posted photos of herself rocking a Slavegirl Leia costume. She's got it and then some. :word:

I just wandered in here on a whim a few minutes ago. :wow:

That was something to see, before the banhammer struck and he was no more.

I was surprised to learn that Ming-Na Wen is actually in her 50's when I was reading up on her a few weeks ago. She's got the appearance and the physical activity of someone in their 30's.

And she is a capable actor although it's easy to just see someone being blank-faced and emotionless as having no range (ala Keanu) but if it fits the character then it shouldn't matter and it does take skill to maintain that kind of restraint.

Besides Melinda May has obviously shown she does feel emotions, she just doesn't display them often. It's about control for her. What we know of her is she went through something terrible and the best way for her to contain that is to control it.

I'd probably break my fingers trying that.

People are entitled to their own opinions. *shrugs*. I disagree with what he was saying (to an extent) but I didn't see a troll. I saw someone who has a strong opinion, who has their own delusions, and is probably a struggling individual in life, who is insecure, and was trying to get his point across, and for it to be understood, but in a stubborn manner. I guess I just try to see the good in everybody, but people are the way they are.

And C.Lee, man you're condescending attitude towards people that you get annoyed by is just priceless (I may think it comes off a bit arrogant from time to time), but it's still priceless. lol I understand why so many people have quotes by you in their sig lol

But anyway, to May. My opinion of her remains unchanged. I don't like her. Maybe it IS that the actress can't pull off the character in my eyes. Not to the extent with it being a sex thing. I just feel like the whole, hardened, badass is too forced. She doesn't seem like a naturally conditioned woman. I feel that theme of her character is a bit too archetypical to be believable. I like her better when she has more...humane?..moments

Not liking a character is fine. Insulting other members of the forum who disagree with your opinion is not. That guy basically trolled this thread and others hurling moronic insults at people. Then he insulted a mod. He got banned for that and deservedly so.

The instant he started babbling about Andrea Dworkin I got the mental image of some old hermit posting from his Unibomber shack out in the deep woods. It was obvious that he holed up back in the late '70s and hadn't interacted with the real world since.

Well I gotta admit, I guess I shouldn't have been entirely surprised with the way Melinda revealed to Coulson about her "relationship" with Ward due to her straightforward behavior.lol

Ming-Na was part of one of Zachary Levi's Nerd HQ panels that he does during Comic-Con

(I haven't watched it yet so I don't know what regarding AoS gets talked about, if anything at all.... but for those interested.)

"A Conversation with Badass Women Mystery Guests!"
Also part of this panel is Yvonne Strahovski, Retta, Jennifer Morrison, Sophie Turner, and Missy Peregrym

Would have preferred if Maggie Q was cast for the role. But then again I would have prefered Karl Urban for Ward. Then you could probably have only afforded to make 5 episodes.

Would have preferred if Maggie Q was cast for the role. But then again I would have prefered Karl Urban for Ward. Then you could probably have only afforded to make 5 episodes.

Karl Urban recently starred in a whole TV series, Almost Human. So I don't see why he would've been too expensive.

Karl Urban recently starred in a whole TV series, Almost Human. So I don't see why he would've been too expensive.

Sad it was cancelled. Both of them might have been a bit expensive. Then you get the other actors who want parity. Also they will not be the central characters as such as it is a team show so would be difficult to justify.

Anywhoo. Hope this season kicks arse and May shines.

May is a bit dull. I don't know if any actress playing her would also have to play the character that way, because usually Ming Na is a bit more talkative and open. May is somewhat laconic and monosyllabic at times. I wish she weren't written that way as it gets a bit boring and cliched.

Interesting perspective. It's been awhile since I've posted on these boards, so forgive me if I sound a bit rusty. I guess I find the Melinda May character fascinating--she's a multifaceted heroine--intelligent, strong, beautiful, perceptive, with a cold demeanor. I have her interactions with Coulson, Ward, Skye, and the other characters intriguing as I find myself constantly looking for subtext.

I've enjoyed a number of fights she's been involved in--the pilot episode against the cops, her wielding the Asgardian beserker artifact, and lastly, the showdown against Ward during the season finale.

As with a lot of the other characters, I am hoping not only to see more phenomenal fights, but more revelations about her history, past missions and so forth, lineage. Doesn't have to be too much as the mystery surrounding her is something I find compelling about the Melinda May character.

Hopefully she'll get to be a part of a lot more fighting this season.

May is a bit dull. I don't know if any actress playing her would also have to play the character that way, because usually Ming Na is a bit more talkative and open. May is somewhat laconic and monosyllabic at times. I wish she weren't written that way as it gets a bit boring and cliched.

I really love the show and the characters, so I hate to say it....but I definitely know what you're talking about.

I get that May is supposed to be tough as nails and not wear her emotions on her sleeve, but she really does border on robotic at times. However, it sounds like her background is going to be fleshed out substantially in the new season, so hopefully we get a lot more range out of the character. I certainly know Ming Na is capable of it!

Truly Exceptional.
Sounds Like May to me.

A good big bloke will normally beat a good little bloke and a good bloke will normally beat a good woman.

There maybe exceptions for exceptional fighters but there is a reason that most fighting sports have weight classes and women fight separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"