Mortal - Discussion Thread (spoilers)

I hope they go the route of Lex starting to back off, b/c remember in the future Lex doesn't have a clue that Clark Kent is Superman. If he were to keep being suspicious and whatnot it wouldn't make much sense. IMO they're final split should be b/c Lex is mad at Clark about something, instead of it always being Clark mad at Lex. We all know that Clark is the epitome of forgiveness b/c he always looks for the good in ppl, but Lex on the other hand...

tonytr1687 said:
I actually thought it was kinda out of character too. Clark wouldn't ever start a fight like that, especially with someone who was his best friend, no matter what bad thing they did. He's more reserved than that.
Also, Superman's been known to go into situations throwing punches first and asking questions later. That's always been one of the knocks against Superman, he's bullheaded. He isn't calculating and doesn't take time to asses the situation like Batman. Especially when the people closest to him are in danger. That was the main point of the "Sacrifice" storyline recently played out in the comics. Granted, Supes was under Maxwell Lord's hypnosis, but still, when he thought the people he loved were under attack, he went in fists flying.

RakuMon said:
Also, Superman's been known to go into situations throwing punches first and asking questions later. That's always been one of the knocks against Superman, he's bullheaded. He isn't calculating and doesn't take time to asses the situation like Batman. Especially when the people closest to him are in danger...
:up: :up:

I LOVE it when folks "get" it. If there's ONE word I'd use to describe Superman (I don't care WHAT incarnation we're talking about here - young, old, elsewhere, whatEVER!), it's BULLHEADED! The guy is gonna do what HE thinks is right, and there aint nothing that's gonna stop him or change his mind. He's gonna make the decision on the fly (no pun intended), and he's gonna dive in, damned the consequences. THAT's our guy. SV may have taken liberties with story and characterization, but of all the things they NAILED, it was THAT! Clark weights his options and decides what he wants to do in about two nanoseconds. Picking up the pieces is something he'll worry about later. LOL

All of you have good points. I guess I just got a different impression out of Clark, when it comes to how he's portrayed on Smallville anyway. In the show they always show him as the pure boyscout, almost uber-responsible young man who usually thinks before he acts. To me, boyscout and bullheaded just don't go together.

tonytr1687 said:
All of you have good points. I guess I just got a different impression out of Clark, when it comes to how he's portrayed on Smallville anyway. In the show they always show him as the pure boyscout, almost uber-responsible young man who usually thinks before he acts. To me, boyscout and bullheaded just don't go together.

I could probably site several examples on Smallville where Clark has behaved in a very bullheaded way, and displayed a bit of a temper, much like his father, but my food is getting cold and I think they're actually going to give me work soon..lol..but two examples that come to mind are in 'Suspect' (Season 2) when CLark went to the bar with Pete to question the bartender and ended up shoving him vertically into the hanging glasses. And in Legacy when he attacked Lex and ripped his shirt open when he discovered he'd been talking to the FBI and he was wired.

Oh yeah right, Superman has always been less calculated and more in your face unlike Batman who would never be the first to throw a punch :rolleyes:

-sarcasm-

RakuMon said:
Also, Superman's been known to go into situations throwing punches first and asking questions later. That's always been one of the knocks against Superman, he's bullheaded. He isn't calculating and doesn't take time to asses the situation like Batman. Especially when the people closest to him are in danger. That was the main point of the "Sacrifice" storyline recently played out in the comics. Granted, Supes was under Maxwell Lord's hypnosis, but still, when he thought the people he loved were under attack, he went in fists flying.

quick question. how do u asses the situation..... throw asses at it i dunno

muscaremy said:
quick question. how do u asses the situation..... throw asses at it i dunno
Oops. You got me. And I'm usually quite careful at avoiding typos. :D

Let's also not forget that he's been raised by Jonathan who has been shown to have a bit of a temper and physical side. Seems pure good ole' farmboy to me to fight to protect your family.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
Oh yeah right, Superman has always been less calculated and more in your face unlike Batman who would never be the first to throw a punch :rolleyes:

-sarcasm-

aahhahaahhaa... i get it, lol.

Only 11 and a half hours to go folks

The Incredible Hulk said:
totally forgot to post this last week:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/superhulk/3862.html

This should be the last time it's on LJ before it gets hosted elswhere, enjoy...

Great review Hulk! I agree about the Kryptonite affect though, but I have not seen one reviewer not mention that yet. It's good to know that we don't just let that stuff just slide by.

The Incredible Hulk said:
totally forgot to post this last week:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/superhulk/3862.html

This should be the last time it's on LJ before it gets hosted elswhere, enjoy...

Hey that was cool. I like reading your reviews and I was disappointed when I didnt see it posted earlier.

You made some good points, particularly about the kryptonite effects. I wonder what will happen tonight when he's in hospital. One would presume that his blood is not gonna be that of an earthling.

You could argue that the green K drains his powers thus making him weak, so therefore if he doesnt have these powers then there is nothing to be drained.

I thought the sex was great. But hey, I'm a big Clana fan. :D They had spoken about it earlier in the episode and so when he came to her at the end, needing some consoling from her, it seemed appropriate, to me.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your review. I do so like reviews where the reviewer actually gets what's happening in the episode despite whether they like it or not. I read some review on another site and the lack of understanding so disappointed me, that I had to tell them.

Keep going with them. :up:

avidreader said:
[Hulk] made some good points, particularly about the kryptonite effects...
I didn't realize this was such a big bone of contention until I saw it brought up in other forums. It didn't bother me at all. In fact, they've already established the precedent for it in episodes like Leech.

SV isn't like Star Trek. That is to say, they really don't go out of their way to explain in full tecnobable why something is the way it is. The closest they ever got to explaining Clark's abilities was in the episode Perry, and even then they left it open with Clark theorizing "maybe it all comes from the sun?" Pete added the analogy of Clark being some sort of walking solar battery.

Flash forward to Arrival, and here again the sun comes into play. With its setting, Clark loses his abilities. Now, is it just his abilities, or is he actually changed right down to his DNA? I'm not gonna even TRY to understand, never less explain, HOW that could be remotely possible, but I believe the writers basically told us that Clark did indeed became human at that moment. Furthermore, the "condition" would be permanent until his mortal death (see 3rd episode, Hidden.)

The writers gave us many clues to Clark being human. Jonathan TELLS him, "you're only human now" (LOL). Clark would now feel pain and bleed (getting cut by the glass shard in Lana's hair was just the beginning.) He couldn't "call" to the key anymore (he tried, and nothing happened.) And he wouldn't be affected by Kryptonite like he used to be (he picked up the meteor rock in the field at the barn raising and it didn't hurt him.) Basically, being human meant he could now have "what he's always wanted" - to be normal.

Picking up the meteor rock was the biggest clue to the audience that he was completely human, which makes everything else that came afterwards all the more bittersweet. Clark viewed it as a new beginning. He would no longer question whether he could father children or worry about Lana's safety being with her. He told her everything in the past couldn't hurt them anymore. (Of course, this is before Lee shows up to prove him wrong.) But the whole point of showing that Kryptonite didn't effect Clark was to prove that he was indeed human. At that moment, he was an alien by virtue of where he was born, not his biology.

I'm probably one of the biggest nit pickers out there, but the K-rock aspect in this episode made a lot of sense to me. It makes what happens in Hidden even more sad for Clark, because now he will have BEEN human and experienced all its joys and pains, only to have it taken away from him. Ultimately, it will be one of the most important and horrendously painful lessons in Clark's journey towards his destiny.

i thought brainiac was in next episode not this one

AgentPat said:
I didn't realize this was such a big bone of contention until I saw it brought up in other forums. It didn't bother me at all. In fact, they've already established the precedent for it in episodes like Leech.

SV isn't like Star Trek. That is to say, they really don't go out of their way to explain in full tecnobable why something is the way it is. The closest they ever got to explaining Clark's abilities was in the episode Perry, and even then they left it open with Clark theorizing "maybe it all comes from the sun?" Pete added the analogy of Clark being some sort of walking solar battery.

Flash forward to Arrival, and here again the sun comes into play. With its setting, Clark loses his abilities. Now, is it just his abilities, or is he actually changed right down to his DNA? I'm not gonna even TRY to understand, never less explain, HOW that could be remotely possible, but I believe the writers basically told us that Clark did indeed became human at that moment. Furthermore, the "condition" would be permanent until his mortal death (see 3rd episode, Hidden.)

The writers gave us many clues to Clark being human. Jonathan TELLS him, "you're only human now" (LOL). Clark would now feel pain and bleed (getting cut by the glass shard in Lana's hair was just the beginning.) He couldn't "call" to the key anymore (he tried, and nothing happened.) And he wouldn't be affected by Kryptonite like he used to be (he picked up the meteor rock in the field at the barn raising and it didn't hurt him.) Basically, being human meant he could now have "what he's always wanted" - to be normal.

Picking up the meteor rock was the biggest clue to the audience that he was completely human, which makes everything else that came afterwards all the more bittersweet. Clark viewed it as a new beginning. He would no longer question whether he could father children or worry about Lana's safety being with her. He told her everything in the past couldn't hurt them anymore. (Of course, this is before Lee shows up to prove him wrong.) But the whole point of showing that Kryptonite didn't effect Clark was to prove that he was indeed human. At that moment, he was an alien by virtue of where he was born, not his biology.

I'm probably one of the biggest nit pickers out there, but the K-rock aspect in this episode made a lot of sense to me. It makes what happens in Hidden even more sad for Clark, because now he will have BEEN human and experienced all its joys and pains, only to have it taken away from him. Ultimately, it will be one of the most important and horrendously painful lessons in Clark's journey towards his destiny.

Well said, I assumed he was human too..if anyone can accept that Jor-El can even exist in whatever form he's in, that Clark can even exist, then I think you have to accept that Jor-El can make him human. If Pinnochio can be made into a real boy, why can't Clark?:)

review of Hulk's review:

What did work: almost everything.
what did not work: the sex part.
:)

AgentPat said:
He couldn't "call" to the key anymore (he tried, and nothing happened.)

Did he try to summon the key? I thought he was just hesitating on wheather to pick it up or not.

Maybe he was trying to summon it...

Just saw it...

Damn good television...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"