My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

I'm reserving full judgement until we get a better look at it, but right now I'm leaning positive. Never thought I'd say that about a suit that has a damn collar, but there we are.

IV come to terms with it and I'm fine, just give me a good Superman movie.

02beca430b013635982bdf115659d12f4373a31e.jpg

what I'm thinking is actually going on in the scene (if it even really is a scene in the movie and not for for the promo)

that we'll actually see him changing into the suit {at super-speed} as if time is frozen around him... where we've always just saw the quick change before

If people were looking to get more of that S&L suit in Gunn's rendition, I guess I just don't align cause that thing is not it.

I think what’s neat about the suit is that it presents the essence of classic Superman (red trunks, big yellow shield) not only in a new way, but with an air of verisimilitude.

Whereas Snyder basically took the comic book look and made it as “cool” as possible, like an action figure brought to life, which falls in line with the more godlike angle, but here Gunn seems to be incorporating an imperfect uniform-like or workman-like quality that may frame superheroics in this established DCU as being more common place, literally working a physical “blue collar” job, or perhaps that’s what it’s like to Clark.

The idea of Clark starting to treat Superman as more than just a job could be a part of the story, and reflected with the costume at some point.

Last edited:
“Workman-like” quality is right. That’s my favorite thing about it. It looks like a suit he would put on to go get s*** done. I think that’s why the collar isn’t bothering me like I thought it would - because it’s not suggesting rank/elitism as collars usually do. The materials make it feel very “Everyman.” Like I’ve said, huggable. Aka, my #1 requirement for Superman. Be huggable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"