My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

It's so nuanced though, isnt it? I mean, in the lead up to MOS I was excited to see a grounded, more real world take on the character. What I felt missed the mark, was that Clark's entire personality seemed to be altered to what was deemed more grounded & realistic too.

I'm not opposed to Clark existing in a world that feels like it has real world elements, a story that has real world themes etc. It just needs to not lose that endlessly hopeful, resilient, 'always finds a way' vibe.
Even TSS had that. I'm not too concerned with that.

It's so nuanced though, isnt it? I mean, in the lead up to MOS I was excited to see a grounded, more real world take on the character. What I felt missed the mark, was that Clark's entire personality seemed to be altered to what was deemed more grounded & realistic too.

I'm not opposed to Clark existing in a world that feels like it has real world elements, a story that has real world themes etc. It just needs to not lose that endlessly hopeful, resilient, 'always finds a way' vibe.

The whole world could be full of doubt & darkness, as long as Clark is shown pushing against that with conviction & heartfelt belief that people ARE good, and the world CAN be better.

Agreed. A grounded reality wasn't the issue with the Snyderverse; it was the characterization & actions of the characters living within that was the primary issue for me.

Sure, Superman can arrive in a world that's distrustful of an alien arrival, but he himself shouldn't be cynical & jaded.

Agreed. A grounded reality wasn't the issue with the Snyderverse; it was the characterization & actions of the characters living within that was the primary issue for me.

Sure, Superman can arrive in a world that's distrustful of an alien arrival, but he himself shouldn't be cynical & jaded.
Exactly. And I think the side of the fandom who experienced it that way are now feeling really wary of it.

There's a lot of distrust, or worry, that the film may somehow miss that balance again.

I don't yet feel like it will. But I get why that image being the first official statement communicated to the public about the film, is a bit scary. Given that context.

If that image had dropped pre MOS days, I'm sure we'd be receiving it with much more excitement & optimism.

People have already mentioned, myself included, of Gunn having balls for not doing what most people expected of the suit, but I also have to wonder if that will be worth it, when this movie should be as controversy-free as humanly possible.

I don't mind a little controversy over bold choices. That's why I have more easily gotten on board with things like the S emblem and the collar.

But the MCUish 'this is what a hero would realistically wear' suit style and more somber tone don't feel like bold choices, they feel like safe choices in a world where that's sort of expected of Superhero films these days.

Exactly. And I think the side of the fandom who experienced it that way are now feeling really wary of it.

There's a lot of distrust, or worry, that the film may somehow miss that balance again.

I don't yet feel like it will. But I get why that image being the first official statement communicated to the public about the film, is a bit scary. Given that context.

If that image had dropped pre MOS days, I'm sure we'd be receiving it with much more excitement & optimism.

Superman fans have been burned so hard about that the character not being portrayed correctly that it’s swung so far the other way now, unfortunately feeding back into the notion of not treating Clark like a character and more like an action figure, encased in a perfect costume with perfectly coiffed hair and an ever present smile. With no other hero would fans be asking why isn’t he smiling.

You know, I try my best not to make too many comparisons to other live action suits, but the Routh KC suit really was perfect in terms of actual fit and material and something I think they should have mimicked with Corenswet's.

The KC material was obviously thicker than the SR suit, but it was still tight fitting but wrinkled in areas that showed it was a natural fabric that could be either alien or homemade. But it did not look cheap. It worked on so many levels.

You know, I try my best not to make too many comparisons to other live action suits, but the Routh KC suit really was perfect in terms of actual fit and material and something I think they should have mimicked with Corenswet's.

The KC material was obviously thicker than the SR suit, but it was still tight fitting but wrinkled in areas that showed it was a natural fabric that could be either alien or homemade. But it did not look cheap. It worked on so many levels.
My best guess is that Gunn wanted a suit that was distinctively "his", not just a replica of the classic suit.

Is "his" suit good?

Jury is still out on that.

People have already mentioned, myself included, of Gunn having balls for not doing what most people expected of the suit, but I also have to wonder if that will be worth it, when this movie should be as controversy-free as humanly possible.
Why would you ever want this?! The vast majority of good decisions in CBMs or any established IP had some degree of controversy at least at first. What a cowardly way to make a movie that would be.

Im confident when Supes is flying around performing superheroics, the suit will scratch the Superman suit itch, with its bright colors and trunks.

The yellow in the shield alone is so much better than any other suit I’ve seen (very Aaron Kuder Action Comics), let alone the shade of blue. Cannot be compared with the CW colors at all.

The looser fit is evocative of Quietly, and I think is an effective way to keep the suit from feeling like we’re watching our pre-existing cultural idea of Superman (a trap that Singer, Snyder, and the CW all fall into in different ways, letting their familiarity of the icon override believable and natural characterization), but Superman. With freshness comes verisimilitude.

Last edited:

As one of those fans who was deeply burned by the Snyder take and probably annoyingly vocal about it, I still find the reactions from that camp a little odd. Mainly because I look at this picture and 100% see everything I hated about that take corrected: I see Clark as a regular guy here putting on clothes to go to work. It’s a shot we literally couldn’t have gotten with Snyder’s take because his glorified action figure messiah take didn’t even have a uniform he could just put on like this. This pic alone is them announcing to the world, “we’re putting the ‘man’ back in ‘Superman’” which is essentially what I (and the other burned Supes fans, I thought) have been begging for from a cinematic incarnation for the last decade. “Superman isn’t smiling” was never the real complaint. At least not on my end. I just wanted them to get back to his humanity, which this pic is screaming that they are doing imo.

That said, even if I was worried about another “grim” tone, they’ve already talked about this Supes having humor, so that would have already quelled it.

Honestly, I think the picture itself is good fun. I don't mind it, and most aspects of the costume have grown on me... Except for the collar. Today, it dawned on me why I hate it: it looks too formal. It's like comparing a buttoned-up shirt to a t-shirt (or a button-down shirt with the top button undone). Like an edgy version of Superman's suit.

As one of those fans who was deeply burned by the Snyder take and probably annoyingly vocal about it, I still find the reactions from that camp a little odd. Mainly because I look at this picture and 100% see everything I hated about that take corrected: I see Clark as a regular guy here putting on clothes to go to work. It’s a shot we literally couldn’t have gotten with Snyder’s take because his glorified action figure messiah take didn’t even have a uniform he could just put on like this. This pic alone is them announcing to the world, “we’re putting the ‘man’ back in ‘Superman’” which is essentially what I (and the other burned Supes fans, I thought) have been begging for from a cinematic incarnation for the last decade. “Superman isn’t smiling” was never the real complaint. At least not on my end. I just wanted them to get back to his humanity, which this pic is screaming that they are doing imo.

That said, even if I was worried about another “grim” tone, they’ve already talked about this Supes having humor, so that would have already quelled it.
Agreed. It’s always been like nails on a chalkboard when I would hear Snyder talk of these characters as being “gods.” Because his view of gods inherently begins and ends with their abilities and powers. Such an interpretation misses the core of Superman, which balances and arguably enhances this power with his humanity.
I am not concerned about this dichotomy being portrayed in this film because, by all accounts, Tom King is pretty influential with the filmmaking and storytelling. And for anyone who hasn’t read King’s masterpiece Superman: Up in the Sky, run out and read it and especially note the eighth story “Man and Superman” which addresses headlong the fact that it is Clark’s humanity, and not Kal El’s power, that ultimately makes him Superman. It’s an amazing read and just a love letter to the character.
IMG_4223.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4225.jpeg

Regarding all the Marvel comparisons… I don’t think this looks much like a Marvel suit, because most Marvel suits actually look good. While it is true that some of Marvel’s costumes tend to be a bit less form-fitting than a lot of DC suits and they’ve had some missteps, I feel like they hit the mark more often than not. Probably the biggest fumble can think of with a major hero was Cap’s suit in the first Avengers movie. But even that outfit looked pretty good whenever he wasn’t in that goofy helmet. And they ultimately improved his suit in subsequent films (with Endgame featuring an absolutely epic suit). I can’t recall a hugely anticipated suit reveal of any MCU character and feeling this let down. That’s just me, of course. But I know I’m not alone.

I completely agree about the impression of Superman doing an every day thing like putting on his suit to go to work. And it's not the absence of a smile that's an issue for me, so much as the combination of that with dark grubby suit blotting out the vibrant colour & a strange monster in the sky outside.

The individual elements can all be fine when examined separately, but the initial shock came from how they all combine in face value tone.

All that said, it's not like it's made me less excited for the film. I'm just empathising with people's knee jerk responses. I get it. I get the fear. I see why people might need to take a minute to digest.

I see where the Marvel comparisons come from, it has a militaristic aesthetic and tons of those lines.

I think it's pretty obvious that Gunn and Judianna applied the same MCU design philosophy for this suit, for better or worse.

Had a day to rethink about David's costume. Have my thoughts about it changed since then?

74ca17904413619c5b73dfb4da8548b3.gif

I don't like the suit, but the suggestion that the photo is at all dark, brooding, or somber is so strange to me. It's like we are getting another desaturated image of Superman, bathed in rain, with Cavill pulling his "I've been constipated for a week" frown:
6wkxxopfv5tMSrtttfjAqL.jpg

The vibe I get from that reveal photo is "stoic" which is perfectly appropriate for a Superman facing a major crisis. Even with Reeve's version, everyone would think he was psychotic if he was flying around with a smile on his face during the cataclysmic third act of STM.

Also if there is a clone in this film and the plot involves Lex trying to turn the public against Superman. I could totally see there being a moment where he has been captured, de-powered, or what have you and this is him getting back in the fight after that. Hence why Supes seems to be getting dressed in a more terrestrial fashion.

This drawing by Sebastián Píriz is helping me get the vibe. I'm starting to see the vision.

View attachment 89658
I will concede the collar works better here, but I think it's complimented by the more boxer style of trunks.

I've been wondering if his posture in the photo is causing him to "sink" into the neckline a bit. There's empty space between the neckline and the back of his head. When he's standing up tall and straight and the suit is more fitted to the body, maybe the neckline is actually lower down than it appears to be here.

Last edited:
The high collar is the only thing I genuinely dislike about it. Everything else I can warm up to. I do think like all super hero movies. This suit will evolve.
This is a big reason why I have a hard time getting too hung up on the little details of superhero costumes. Its always inevitable that these suits get tweaked in any sequels that may come along. I'm not crazy about the collar for example, but its also possible that that gets dropped if Gunn is able to deliver a Part 2.

I don't like the suit, but the suggestion that the photo is at all dark, brooding, or somber is so strange to me. It's like we are getting another desaturated image of Superman, bathed in rain, with Cavill pulling his "I've been constipated for a week" frown:
6wkxxopfv5tMSrtttfjAqL.jpg

The vibe I get from that reveal photo is "stoic" which is perfectly appropriate for a Superman facing a major crisis. Even with Reeve's version, everyone would think he was psychotic if he was flying around with a smile on his face during the cataclysmic third act of STM.

Also if there is a clone in this film and the plot involves Lex trying to turn the public against Superman. I could totally see there being a moment where he has been captured, de-powered, or what have you and this is him getting back in the fight after that. Hence why Supes seems to be getting dressed in a more terrestrial fashion.
They really hated Henry and his hair. 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"