• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

Let’s not split hairs on exact numbers. The point is that between 1989 and 1997, we had four Batman movies, and between 1989-2005, we had five Batman movies. On the other hand, between 1987 and 2005 (18 years), we had zero Superman movies, and between 1980 and 2005 (25 years), we had zero well-liked Superman movies.

So again, I think 18-25 years of waiting for a big-screen adaptation made people pretty rigid in what they’d accept.

As a kid in the 90s, I grew up on STM. I was dying for another great movie in 2005. Then we got a dud of a suit. Talk about disappointing.
Split hairs? You almost doubled the actual time period.

How is it exaggeration to call 30 almost double 17? That is fact and totally fair.
18-25 years. You’re deliberately choosing the lower bound. And either way, I’m an engineer. I get how numbers work. I can multiply by 2. But the exact number here doesn’t have any impact, whatsoever, on my main point. So you’re focusing on something that doesn’t remotely affect what I’m saying in the slightest. I don’t understand the obsession with exact numbers. It just doesn’t matter.

18-25 years. You’re deliberately choosing the lower bound. And either way, I’m an engineer. I get how numbers work. I can multiply by 2. But the exact number here doesn’t have any impact, whatsoever, on my main point. So you’re focusing on something that doesn’t remotely affect what I’m saying in the slightest. I don’t understand the obsession with exact numbers. It just doesn’t matter.
Okay but then why claim someone else was splitting hairs and exaggerating then? Especially when your first post was literal exaggeration. If your main point is something else entirely, then there is no reason for these parts of your argument. Felt like you were trying to belittle DK's point.

Last edited:
As for the suit, I hate it. I think everything about it, from fit to texture, is just wrong. David doesn't look like Superman in it to me and I'm never a fan of the suit looking like it's a military suit.

That said, I like his hair.

Still not a fan of the suit after seeing it for what feels like a year (but 2 weeks in reality)

I get this is like the 500th Superman so doing something different is to be expected but...the different just aint that good for what we're seeing at the moment. I'm ready for a standing picture and him up in the skies all happy.

Let’s not split hairs on exact numbers. The point is that between 1989 and 1997, we had four Batman movies, and between 1989-2005, we had five Batman movies. On the other hand, between 1987 and 2005 (18 years), we had zero Superman movies, and between 1980 and 2005 (25 years), we had zero well-liked Superman movies.

So again, I think 18-25 years of waiting for a big-screen adaptation made people pretty rigid in what they’d accept.

As a kid in the 90s, I grew up on STM. I was dying for another great movie in 2005. Then we got a dud of a suit. Talk about disappointing.
I know tv and film are not entirely the same but Superman fans be acting like the character has been absent from live action for years. When you get all these adaptations, being on the big screen or not...you've been well fed since the 80s.
02beca430b013635982bdf115659d12f4373a31e.jpg

Still not a fan of the suit after seeing it for what feels like a year (but 2 weeks in reality)

I get this is like the 500th Superman so doing something different is to be expected but...the different just aint that good for what we're seeing at the moment. I'm ready for a standing picture and him up in the skies all happy.

I really can't understand the logic that went into designing this costume. Given the current condition of the franchise, you'd think that James Gunn would've gone with something a little bit safer/traditional for Superman's costume.

Even though Henry's costume had its issues as well, at least it at a few redeeming qualities about it (IMHO).

Last edited:
I really can't understand the logic that went into designing this costume. Given the current condition of the franchise, you'd think that James Gunn would've gone with something a little bit more safter/traditional for Superman's costume.

Even though Henry's costume had its issues as well, at least it at a few redeeming qualities about it (IMHO).
Because it looks like a costume from a James Gunn movie. That's not a value judgment, but that's the reason. He's making a movie that fits into his own personal aesthetic. Which I'm impressed by even if the suit is a mixed bag! I was expecting much lazier fan service!

Literally humans made the suit.... Why can't humans in the dcu be able to make them.
as to the debate of where the suit is from or who made it....

could this be after he had joined the JL, or have least meet/worked with Batman... an it's WayneTech design???

At this point, why not just have a scene where Batman autographs a batarang and gives it to Superman. :rolleyes:

I really can't understand the logic that went into designing this costume. Given the current condition of the franchise, you'd think that James Gunn would've gone with something a little bit more safter/traditional for Superman's costume.

I love the MoS suit, everything seems modern and money.

From what we can see, James is seemingly treating this suit as GotG when it should be the opposite.

I'm scared to see what Guy will look like

Hopefully Guy looks as dumb as he possibly can. Isn't that the entire point of the character??

Dumb and downright cheap or the same as Superman aren't the same thing.

Apart from his haircut, his suit has never been downright bad.
I feel like the aesthetic of TSS and Peacemaker is probably the best indicator of how Gunn will costume a comedic character like Guy.

Read: perfectly.

I think the people that expected Superman's suit to be a complete throwback akin to how he handled Peacemaker's suit or whatever completely misread why he made Peacemaker look the way he did.

Given the current condition of the franchise, you'd think that James Gunn would've gone with something a little bit more safter/traditional for Superman's costume.

That would be a lame, sanitized route to go in imo. Just bc DC isn't at the height of it's potential doesn't mean they should churn out something safe. Going into the creative process thinking that they have to make something that's a shoo-in to land for everybody sounds like some committee made product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"