Infinity War No More Thanos - The Scarlet Witch Thread

Last edited:
She really does not like doing the accent does she. The Russo's explanation about the lack of accent is hilarious. No one is buying it.

She is going to sound more American than Doctor Strange in the next movie.

I think they're afraid of having her sound too goofy, which is kind of ridiculous because I thought both she and Aaron sounded fine in AOU.

A number of reviewers singled out the accents as a weak point of Pietro and Wanda in Ultron. It makes sense that the new team would choose to downplay that, and the character got better reviews this time around.

Obviously if the accent had been more popular they would have left it the same. The excuse is a rationalization for the decision to change it, but I can't have a problem with it. The accents weren't terrible but they were a bit distracting in a film where most of the Sokovians didn't speak at all (the Wakanda accent works better because there are other Wakandans).

Only 9 minutes? Jesus that sounds so little.

It's a 2.5 hour film and even Thanos only has 29 minutes despite being the focus of the whole film. There are 3 different major sub-plots so all the heroes can only rack up screentime in one while they are getting zero while the other 2 plots are playing out. Also even when you are in a scene I don't think it counts as screentime unless you are visible. So in a group scene with 6 people where the camera keeps shifting to who's talking you're still only going to pick up seconds even if you have major lines. And any scenery shots, no one is getting time lol. Think of it this way, she has almost 50% more time than Cap, one of the main characters of the whole MCU with 3 solo films completed and loads of cameos. Could you see that coming? :woot:

Only 9 minutes? Jesus that sounds so little.

Did you feel that way watching it though? It felt like she was in there a lot as she was used effectively in some of the best scenes. They did good job a juggling and giving her the spotlight to shine

https://www.cbr.com/scarlet-witch-accent-avengers-infinity-war/

Why Scarlet Witch Lost Her Accent For Avengers: Infinity War

Appearing on Josh Horowitz’s Happy Sad Confused podcast, Infinity War directors Joe and Anthony Russo cleared up the mystery, explaining that Elizabeth Olsen’s Wanda Maximoff had barely a trace of her accent due to the events of Captain America: Civil War.

“We have intentionally tried to strip that accent away for a couple of reasons. … one of the most distinguishing characteristics that [Wanda] has is her accent,” Joe Russo said. “So if you’re gonna try to disguise yourself or hide yourself or not be caught, you’re going to try to limit those trigger warnings that would make it easy for someone to identify you, which would be inclusive of her accent… For us, it was very intentional that we would just keep stripping that accent down to show her acclimating and hiding.”

Considering Scarlet Witch’s abilities, it doesn’t necessarily hold up that changing her accent is going to do much to keep attention away from herself, especially when she hasn’t altered her appearance. Another reason fans may be skeptical of the Russo brothers’ explanation is that, in Infinity War, she’s primarily seen in private conversation with Vision (Paul Bettany), where she would be free to speak with her accent or in her primary language.

https://www.cbr.com/scarlet-witch-accent-avengers-infinity-war/

Why Scarlet Witch Lost Her Accent For Avengers: Infinity War

Appearing on Josh Horowitz’s Happy Sad Confused podcast, Infinity War directors Joe and Anthony Russo cleared up the mystery, explaining that Elizabeth Olsen’s Wanda Maximoff had barely a trace of her accent due to the events of Captain America: Civil War.

“We have intentionally tried to strip that accent away for a couple of reasons. … one of the most distinguishing characteristics that [Wanda] has is her accent,” Joe Russo said. “So if you’re gonna try to disguise yourself or hide yourself or not be caught, you’re going to try to limit those trigger warnings that would make it easy for someone to identify you, which would be inclusive of her accent… For us, it was very intentional that we would just keep stripping that accent down to show her acclimating and hiding.”

Considering Scarlet Witch’s abilities, it doesn’t necessarily hold up that changing her accent is going to do much to keep attention away from herself, especially when she hasn’t altered her appearance. Another reason fans may be skeptical of the Russo brothers’ explanation is that, in Infinity War, she’s primarily seen in private conversation with Vision (Paul Bettany), where she would be free to speak with her accent or in her primary language.

The Russo's explanation is BS....I know they are trying to cover plotholes in the MCU but sometimes you just have to let things slide. Its not a big deal. No need for laughable excuses. They should just drop the accent completely.

The Russo are still slowly dropping the left overs of Josh Whedon. First Brutasha now Wanda's accent. Maybe Quicksilver will be back? Lol actually no thanks

I actually liked the accent in AoU. If they're supposed to be from an Eastern European nation, they should sound like they're from that region. I agree with Whedon's decision to give them accents (I thought Wanda's was better than Pietro's....but I agree no less). Whenever we get MCU Doom, I also want him to have an accent.

I liked the accent too and thought it made her sound sexy. I agree that the Russos' explanation sounds like BS.

Was her accent more subdued in Civil War? Trying to remember. Guess like Storm, they dropped her accent after the first movie.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the Russos' excuse for Wanda losing her accent doesn't sound all that unbelievable to me. Natasha lost her accent, so she could have trained Wanda in that regard as well.

'Avengers: Infinity War': Is Scarlet Witch the Strongest Avenger?
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05/08/avengers-infinity-war-scarlet-witch-strongest-avenger/

One of the more surprising questions to come out of Infinity War, though, has been about how the "strongest" Avenger is and it's a question that for some is easily answered: Scarlet Witch. One fan even took to Twitter to declare her the strongest of the heroes -- a stand that sparked some sharp disagreement as it implied their favorites weren't the strongest.

Fans sticking up for their favorites aside, there's something to be said for asking the question of which Avenger is strongest and, when you really boil it down? Scarlet Witch probably is the strongest among them.

Yeah, but Natasha was spy. It made sense for her to lose her accent so she didn't stick out. If Wanda is just hiding, she should still speak the same way with Vision. She's not a trained assassin like Nat.

I think the reasoning is cheap on the Russos part. I liked that she had an accent. It didn't feel as thick in CW either.

The Russo's explanation is BS....I know they are trying to cover plotholes in the MCU but sometimes you just have to let things slide. Its not a big deal. No need for laughable excuses. They should just drop the accent completely.

The Russo are still slowly dropping the left overs of Josh Whedon. First Brutasha now Wanda's accent. Maybe Quicksilver will be back? Lol actually no thanks

I think they are slowly removing it to not make it so obvious as just completely dropping it. I like that decision as it was just a little too clunky for Wanda at times.

Yeah, but Natasha was spy. It made sense for her to lose her accent so she didn't stick out. If Wanda is just hiding, she should still speak the same way with Vision. She's not a trained assassin like Nat.

I think the reasoning is cheap on the Russos part. I liked that she had an accent. It didn't feel as thick in CW either.

No, it didnt make sense for Natasha. That only makes sense if she used two accents to differentiate herself. An American accent when undercover and a natural Russian one when not. If she is always in an American accent, how does that help her from not sticking out? Thats her default and what people would be looking for. It would have made more sense for her to be introduced with an American accent in IM2 (when she was undercover as a spy) and Russian every other time she is just dealing with her Avengers teammates

What The 'Infinity War' Directors Have To Say About The Future Of Women In The MCU

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-the-i...-about-the-future-of-women-in-the-mcu-9007732

When carving out the film's plot, the Russos explain, they were well aware of the gender imbalance they were working with, and so they chose to give the characters Gamora and Scarlet Witch, at least, prominent screen-time. "The fact that we knew that Thanos had such an intimate, complicated relationship, or could have, with Gamora... allowed a female character to take center stage in the storytelling and go to a dimension of the texture that normally doesn't take center stage in these movies," explains Anthony. With Scarlet Witch, meanwhile, the brothers decided to switch up the typical "damsel in distress" narrative so that, Anthony says, "Vision is the one in trouble, and Scarlet Witch is bringing the strength in that relationship to try to resolve the problem."

The dearth and lack of depth of many female characters in Infinity War is, of course, not entirely the fault of the Russos or the writers; most of the women, like Black Widow and Scarlet Witch, came into the movie having never received deep character development in past MCU installments. Infinity War's filmmakers may have tried to do its female heroes justice by giving more scope to two of the MCU's female heroes, but with the historically male-led Marvel landscape and the comparatively little screen-time given to female heroes in the past, there was only so much they could do.

Get MCU X-Men going and it will be easy to make up for lost time as you get many of Marvel's best female characters back.

What The 'Infinity War' Directors Have To Say About The Future Of Women In The MCU

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-the-i...-about-the-future-of-women-in-the-mcu-9007732

When carving out the film's plot, the Russos explain, they were well aware of the gender imbalance they were working with, and so they chose to give the characters Gamora and Scarlet Witch, at least, prominent screen-time. "The fact that we knew that Thanos had such an intimate, complicated relationship, or could have, with Gamora... allowed a female character to take center stage in the storytelling and go to a dimension of the texture that normally doesn't take center stage in these movies," explains Anthony. With Scarlet Witch, meanwhile, the brothers decided to switch up the typical "damsel in distress" narrative so that, Anthony says, "Vision is the one in trouble, and Scarlet Witch is bringing the strength in that relationship to try to resolve the problem."

If Wanda has a future in the MCU (something I still can't bring myself to be very optimistic about) it will be because Marvel's lack of super-powered women almost accidentally propelled her into a bigger role than she might otherwise have had.

Wanda was created in the '60s and is kind of an old-fashioned character in a lot of ways, as you can see from how big a part her romantic life plays in her history and her lack of physical strength. Female characters who get pushed nowadays are usually the ones who are tougher and better fighters, but I thought it was cool that Wanda got to be an old-fashioned romance character and the most powerful woman in the movie.

When Carol Danvers arrives there will be another, possibly more powerful woman around who is a more modern character, and that's fine with me as long as they don't lose all interest in Wanda. But there aren't a lot of other powerful female characters available even after the Fox properties come in, so that at least gives me hope.

That's always been one of my fears is her being pushed aside when Carol comes into play, I hopw the response from her in infinity war was enough to keep her going past A4.

That's always been one of my fears is her being pushed aside when Carol comes into play, I hopw the response from her in infinity war was enough to keep her going past A4.

This has been one of my fears too, even though it doesn't make any sense, since they're such different characters. But that goes back to my worry that Wanda is too old-fashioned a character to get the kind of push that tougher or smarter female characters are getting. Hopefully her role in Infinity War is a sign that they see her as a strong character anyway.

Apparently one of the Russo Brothers recently said in a Q&A that Captain Marvel will give the Scarlet Witch "a run for her money", which is closer to what I would like to hear. I don't want Wanda to be the most powerful character in the MCU, I just want her to be a powerful character who isn't made redundant when other powerful women come in.

Still,
her role in Avengers 4 will obviously be a mystery that probably won't be known until the fates of the snap victims are revealed,
so it will probably not be until next year that we have any idea what her future role is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"