Infinity War No More Thanos - The Scarlet Witch Thread

I just love the fact that the most powerful Avengers will be female characters; both Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel will give Dr. Strange and the new Thor a run for their money.

I just love the fact that the most powerful Avengers will be female characters; both Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel will give Dr. Strange and the new Thor a run for their money.

This is why I would like to hope that the creators won't go, essentially, "we've got another powerful woman now so we don't need Wanda." This kind of thing really does happen quite a bit in Hollywood movies, but even from what little we know of MCU Carol, her powers and Wanda's are not the same.

Carol will be a Flying Brick like Thor and whether or not Wanda ever meets Strange, she's similar to Strange in being a physically ordinary person.

I'm fine with however much they want to push Carol as long as they don't feel a need to play down other women to build her up.

Going over a transcript of the movie it's striking just how few lines of dialogue Wanda has. (I don't think she's ever had a line of dialogue in a trailer.) She's never been portrayed as a very talkative or jokey person, so she usually gets very short lines and fights without saying much. Yet you almost think she's doing and saying more than she does.

This is not a criticism, I think they know that Lizzie Olsen is really good at acting with her face and they write her scenes around her reactions and expressions. The best thing about casting her is that she's really good at facial expressions and that really paid off in her final scene with Vision. They don't need to give her a lot of lines because she's one of those actors who can do more without them.

I really hope they like her and want to use her more. At the press conference she started pleading with Feige "please bring me back!" which obviously was a joke, but I do find it hard to figure out what her place will be in the post-Avengers 4 world. (I am increasingly feeling that her entering Dr. Strange's world is just a fan theory that will not happen in the movies.)

That is a concern for me, too, that Captain Marvel will become The Woman now, and then there will be the typical relegation of the others to the background. Or dead them, of course.

That is a concern for me, too, that Captain Marvel will become The Woman now, and then there will be the typical relegation of the others to the background. Or dead them, of course.

They'll want to have other women to showcase, but the kind of woman they usually prefer to showcase is the badass fighter woman, like the Dora Milage. Carol fits that description because of her military background and her punching powers. Wanda doesn't fit this because she is a more old-fashioned character who is a Glass Cannon (lots of power, but if you hit her, you knock her down immediately) and kind of a romance character. So what do they do when the romance arc ends?

I now doubt she'll die in Avengers 4 but I really have no idea what their plans are for her. I'm glad she got a generally good response in Infinity War because maybe it will give the studio more confidence in her as a character. But until she has a scene with someone other than Vision (if ever) we'll never really know.

Every solo film in Phase 4 is going to be a team-up movie like Thor:Ragnarok, so I think Wanda will end up being in one of those. I think they will fit her into Doctor Strange 2 somehow. I also think she will be back for Avengers 5, unlike Black Widow. Wanda got a better response from fans in this movie than Natasha, who is beginning to feel old.

Every solo film in Phase 4 is going to be a team-up movie like Thor:Ragnarok, so I think Wanda will end up being in one of those. I think they will fit her into Doctor Strange 2 somehow. I also think she will be back for Avengers 5, unlike Black Widow. Wanda got a better response from fans in this movie than Natasha, who is beginning to feel old.

I definitely want her in Strange 2 and Avengers 5.

I was kind of surprised about the reaction Nat got in this film. It seemed like no one (including myself) was really feeling her, despite being a fan of everything else she was in.

I hope Wanda is in Strange 2. I want to see her interact with other characters aside from Vision since she was so tied to him this time around. That scene with Nat and Okoye, brief as it was, was refreshing.

I was kind of surprised about the reaction Nat got in this film. It seemed like no one (including myself) was really feeling her, despite being a fan of everything else she was in.

I hope Wanda is in Strange 2. I want to see her interact with other characters aside from Vision since she was so tied to him this time around. That scene with Nat and Okoye, brief as it was, was refreshing.

Nat has really nothing to do. It felt for me she has maybe 10 sentences here. I hope of much more screentime in A4.

Is that really a surprise? How noteworthy was her character arc and performance here? You could have removed her and it wouldnt have changed the film at all.

Natasha and Steve sort of stepped back a bit and gave the spotlight to Wanda and Vision, who dominated that particular part of the story. I don't know if that was intentional or just how the story worked out, but of course Natasha and Steve are guaranteed bigger roles next year, so they could afford to wait.

The effect of that was that it effectively made Wanda the lead character in the Mind Stone portion of the plot - that story was about what she would do and the battle was about trying to get her away from Vision - which made her seem like she had more screen time than she really did, because almost all of her screen time was important.

Again, I hope the studio notices the generally good reaction to her. I think she has more fans than she did after Ultron (where she was on the villains' team until the movie was more than half over) and Civil War (where she wasn't there at the movie's climax). I just want her to keep getting good scenes and hope this wasn't just a one-off thing.

I think Doctor Strange is where she could truly grow as a character. I think her emotiveness takes Strange out of his comfort zone of study, and Wong could be like "Wanda, you need to lighten up".:woot:

Good, maybe Disney will see an interest and make more Wanda merch. I was just happy to see her as a cardboard standee at Target the other day. :funny:

This is why I would like to hope that the creators won't go, essentially, "we've got another powerful woman now so we don't need Wanda." This kind of thing really does happen quite a bit in Hollywood movies, but even from what little we know of MCU Carol, her powers and Wanda's are not the same.

Carol will be a Flying Brick like Thor and whether or not Wanda ever meets Strange, she's similar to Strange in being a physically ordinary person.

I'm fine with however much they want to push Carol as long as they don't feel a need to play down other women to build her up.

I don't think so; both Hulk and Thor are very powerful, but they can still co-exist. Capt. Marvel and SW served two different roles within the team and I think there's enough room for more than one powerful female superhero on the team (BW is probably weeping right now though).

Avengers Infinity War: Paul Bettany on Vision and Scarlet Witch's BRUTAL final scene
https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...ettany-Vision-death-Scarlet-Witch-final-scene

Speaking to GQ, Bettany said: “I think that being murdered by the love of your life because you're asking them to is pretty moving stuff that they wrote for us.”

Asked about the chemistry between him and co-star Elizabeth Olsen, he insisted he doesn’t “believe in chemistry”, and put their on-screen success down to a close bond off-stage.

“It so happens that Lizzy and I just get on really well with each other, and she's super professional and, you know, she's never late,” he reasoned.

“And I'm never late, and I love that. Because when you've got three kids and a life to be living and somebody's half an hour late to set, you start to get a little bit like, ‘Come on. Come on, let's get this done.’”

This article advocates a Scarlet Witch movie:
https://www.refinery29.uk/2018/06/201186/jared-leto-joker-movie-women-led-superhero-films

A Scarlet Witch Character Study

Looooook, Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda dealt with some serious stuff at the end of Avengers: Infinity War. No spoilers, but obviously, Olsen can act her face off while her character is dealing with extreme grief and fighting off impending doom. I would very much like to see more of her in the MCU, and if we got a raw, gritty, Logan-esque look at Scarlet Witch, I definitely wouldn't hate it.

I'll take as much Scarlet Witch as I can get lol.

Jane Fonda, Elizabeth Olsen Honored at Environmental Media Association Benefit Gala
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ion-honors-jane-fonda-at-benefit-gala-1118758

The Environmental Media Association (EMA) held its first annual Honors Benefit Gala on Saturday evening. Over the course of the night, Jane Fonda, Elizabeth Olsen, CEO of Oneida Nation Enterprises Ray Halbritter and President of LA Car Guy Mike Sullivan were all honored for their contributions, both locally and globally, to making the Earth a safer and cleaner place to live for generations to come.
Later on in the evening, Olsen was given the EMA Futures Award, highlighting her involvement with The Latitude Project, an organization focused on alleviating poverty started by Jennifer and Alanna Tynan, who were also in attendance.

Elizabeth Olsen has been nominated for a Teen Choice Award in the Action Movie Actress category. Go vote for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"