Legend of Zelda Offical The Legend of Zelda Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, evidence indicates that they really didn't start bothering with a clear-cut timeline until Ocarina of Time, which was a sort of reboot of the series. There are numerous contradictions throughout the games, though that may be intentional. This is just their way of throwing it together. Still this is better than nothing.

Fans have been wanting this art / guide book since the eighties.

I started Skyward Sword this afternoon but I have an issue with my Wii. Either my TV's component inputs or the component cable is screwy because when I plug my Wii into the TV, the color is dull. I have a set of component cables plugged into my sound system but I don't use that since the picture looks crappier (ie pixely, not a Wii thing either. My 360 is the same when it's plugged in that way). Have to see if I can borrow my friend's cables just to test it out.

That third timeline ******** is lame. I disagree with this timeline, I don't care if its official. It's dumb.

Yes, evidence indicates that they really didn't start bothering with a clear-cut timeline until Ocarina of Time, which was a sort of reboot of the series. There are numerous contradictions throughout the games, though that may be intentional. This is just their way of throwing it together. Still this is better than nothing.

Fans have been wanting this art / guide book since the eighties.

Meh, I prefer that all the games game hints of the timeline but never a clear indication of what it is.

I just beat the Fire Santuary and upgraded my sword to the Master Sword. I have the hardest time beat the Moblins. Unless I get the drop on them, I just do a Skyward Slash and then final blow on them. They always move just as I'm about to begin my attack.

I just beat the Fire Santuary and upgraded my sword to the Master Sword. I have the hardest time beat the Moblins. Unless I get the drop on them, I just do a Skyward Slash and then final blow on them. They always move just as I'm about to begin my attack.

Once you get the bow it becomes a lot easier. Using the shield also helps.

I HATE fighting the Imprisoned. 2nd time you fight him, it took me 3 tries. This 3rd time though it's an immense pain in the ass.

My feelings of this game are mixed. There are some great things that make me want to keep playing. Then there are some really dumb, annoying things. And some NPCs just do not shut the hell up. I can't stand the robot that hauls stuff for you.

I haven't had a problem with the Imprisoned at all throughout this game.

I take it back. The 3rd time is much easier when you use a bomb to stop him at the beginning.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but in regards to the timeline, the 'Link fails' branch doesn't necessarily mean he dies. He just fails. See this video:
[YT]umS4flaa-20[/YT]

Last edited:
i'm not sure if this has been posted before, but in regards to the timeline, the 'link fails' branch doesn't necessarily mean he dies. He just fails. See this video:

wrong...

That third timeline ******** is lame. I disagree with this timeline, I don't care if its official. It's dumb.
They needed a timeline to throw all the games that came out when there was no talk of timelines, so basically all the NES games :)

So far, Twilight Princess is pure epicness. Skyward Sword was a great/good game, but, Twilight Princess was like Rated R Zelda.

And now, because of the official timeline release....... WIND WAKER just became more awesome, now this picture is even more epic and understandable.

tumblr_ljavvdtQIp1qa6m7no1_500.png

Nah, Twilight Princess wasn't epic. It was good but it dragged on a bit. One thing I didn't like was there were too many weapons. It's as if every dungeon had a new item but other than using it to beat the boss or get a Hear Piece, you never really needed it again (Ball & Chain, Spinner, Dominion Rod).

Skyward Sword is vibrant and colorful but the story is still serious. Zelda isn't meant to be dark and this idea that "dark and gritty" makes something good is getting out of hand. It doesn't work for some things.

I just finished the game. Besides the jaggies and constant prompts, it was great fun. But the ending was a head scratcher.

So Demise was killed in the present. He was released by Ghirahim in the past, but Link killed him again and sealed some of him away in the Master Sword (the remainder became Ganon). Did Demise's early release change what already happened in the present? Is it like Ocarina of Time, where in one timeline Link wished Demise dead, and in another Demise partly survived? Is it possible that Demise regained his true form, was defeated, and part of him returned to his imprisonment?

Time travel stories are confusing.

From my understanding
Link defeats Demise in the past but only seals his spirit in the future he destroys the body/mindless beast that haunts the land.

I often get confused when people say Zelda isn't supposed to be dark and gritty. Are we playing the same games? Granted, some games are fairly bright and light, like Wind Waker. But Ocarina of Time? That's not dark and gritty? It certainly was for its time. The game starts out fairly dark, and just gets darker.

Main character with tragic backstory, devastation all around you, you see your kingdom fall, and turned into a hellish post-apocalyptic nightmare. The dungeons and their music aren't exactly sunny either. Some looked like they came out of a horror movie. And then there's Majora's Mask, which gets downright creepy. Twilight Princess just picked up where Ocarina of Time left off, both literally and figuratively.

I like my Zelda dark and gritty. Quite frankly, it needs to be a hell lot darker. It's at its best when it's dark.

Last edited:
Ocarina of Time was not dark and gritty. Sure, there were parts that were, but in between selling masks from the Happy Mask Shop, rescuing a group of immaculate carpenters, stealing a horse from Luigi, fighting a pair of giant hands on a bongo drum and two whining sisters...there is plenty in that game that was lighthearted and youth-friendly. After all, it was rated E, like every other Zelda game outside of Twilight Princess. Zelda has always had a good mix of darker elements and lighthearted themes, it's at is best when it has a mix of that, otherwise we get rather drab environments like in TP. So I don't really know where this confusion is coming from. I mean, you're playing as a guy who wears a green elf hat.

I think you have the wrong sense of 'gritty'. No, it wasn't a Zak Snyder film or a Nolan reboot, but there were definitely parts of that game that felt very dark indeed, especially in contrast to what was around at the time.

In what other game are you itnroduced to a bright, colourful world full of history and life and then forced to witness it 7 years in the future, corrupted, evil and twisted? I still remember being unsettled by leaving Hyrule for the first time with the zombies everywhere. What other game had done anything like that at the time?

There's a difference between "dark and gritty" and "serious." Ocarina of Time has serious moments and the Shadow Temple and Well are pretty disturbing, but everything else is colorful and light-hearted.

Majora's Mask is harder to define since it's a bit of both. Personally, I think it's like a Tim Burton movie that has something really disturbing but portrays it in a cheery way.

They needed a timeline to throw all the games that came out when there was no talk of timelines, so basically all the NES games :)

If they wanted to create a third timeline they should have used the end of Game Over for Majora's Mask where you the moon destroys everything. That, at least, is shown to be an option within the game.

There's a difference between "dark and gritty" and "serious." Ocarina of Time has serious moments and the Shadow Temple and Well are pretty disturbing, but everything else is colorful and light-hearted.

Majora's Mask is harder to define since it's a bit of both. Personally, I think it's like a Tim Burton movie that has something really disturbing but portrays it in a cheery way.

Colorful and light-hearted? Did you play the entire game? Though I wouldn't even consider the first part to be all that colorful and light-hearted. Hyrule is literally covered in darkness. The main is destroyed, and full of zombies (who scream). The other races aren't much better off. Frozen, wiped out or in captivity. Then there's the temples. You have the haunted forest temple, the hellish fire temple, complete with chanting (which they had to take out of later versions), and a water temple that can make grown men cry, albeit out of frustration.

I'm really not seeing this. Wind Waker is colorful and light-hearted with serious moments. Ocarina of Time is most definitely not.

If they wanted to create a third timeline they should have used the end of Game Over for Majora's Mask where you the moon destroys everything. That, at least, is shown to be an option within the game.

But that really wouldn't have an effect on the deterioration of Hyrule on account that Termina is in a completely different dimension and Link still managed to stop Ganondorf, which is what caused Hyrule to fall.

The third timeline is to show just how downhill Hyrule went with Link's failure. And overall, I'm fine with this, the third timeline created by Link failing to defeat Ganon/dorf really does make the entire series fit overall.

I read one convincing theory that another split could be from when Link goes back in time to retrieve the Lens of Truth. Another theory is that Link first tries to defeat Ganondorf as a child once he pulls the Master Sword. The sages see he failed and go back in time and put him to sleep until he's prepared. The reasoning is that other games where Link is a child, he isn't put to sleep until he's ready.

Colorful and light-hearted? Did you play the entire game? Though I wouldn't even consider the first part to be all that colorful and light-hearted. Hyrule is literally covered in darkness. The main is destroyed, and full of zombies (who scream). The other races aren't much better off. Frozen, wiped out or in captivity. Then there's the temples. You have the haunted forest temple, the hellish fire temple, complete with chanting (which they had to take out of later versions), and a water temple that can make grown men cry, albeit out of frustration.

I'm really not seeing this. Wind Waker is colorful and light-hearted with serious moments. Ocarina of Time is most definitely not.

Everyone in Hyrule Castle Town is in Kakariko Village, it's just the town that's ravaged. Kokiri Forest is the same. The Gorons survived and you free them. The Zoras are frozen but you see them dancing during the end credits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"