Guardians of the Galaxy **OFFICIAL** GOTG Vol. 2 SPOILERS Thread

Anyway. Saw it a second time and it holds up. Funny movie. I like how they continually disarm the "super serious" stuff. It's a movie with a talking raccoon and a baby tree set in space....I hope no one is expecting something grim. That would be the dumbest movie ever.

Love how they mix in all the character stuff with the fun though. Stories are really about characters and this one developed the characters far better than the first. ...Or maybe it's because of the first one that they were able to build on that.

Gamora/Nebula was one of my favorites. Loved how Nebula didn't let go of her character traits and be "besties" with Gamora. "Get over it" was a great moment.

Drax/Mantis was awesome too. Drax sticking with his routine at the end with "....on the inside" was perfect.

Peter/Ego was mostly good but could have used some editing here and there.

Yondu really became even more awesome in this movie. Too bad they had to kill him off. :cmad:

Was worried Baby Groot would be played too "cute" and it did feel that way in the opening scene but it was fine after that point.

Was worried Baby Groot would be played too "cute" and it did feel that way in the opening scene but it was fine after that point.

He was still cute when he was stuck on the window and all sad at being picked on by the ravagers

I loved the drone fleet just being a big video game.

"You suck"

Pac-man. Nuff said.

I'm sure the future "how it should have ended" episode will have scene where Rocket is forced to bring back the batteries. Movie ends right there

Rocket- Here's your stupid batteries you *****e.

I was surprised "Fox on the run" by the sweets wasn't in the movie considering that was in the trailer.

So we're going to start all guardians movies with a small scene in the 80's? I think I saw Quills young girlfriend in a scene before he used his powers to defeat Ego.

Drax felt like he was just there for the ride. We got development for Gamora,Quill, Yondu and Rocket.

We know he lost his family but he gained the guardians in the first movie. He wasn't sad or anything in this movie. He had nothing to gain.

Also. Another De-aged actor? They're really getting their mileage out that technology.

I thought the de-aging of Michael Douglas in ANT-MAN was good.....but they out did that times 10 with Russell.

yeah I have to say I was blown away how good 80s Russell looked wow

I thought the de-aging of Michael Douglas in ANT-MAN was good.....but they out did that times 10 with Russell.
Get ready for de-aged Angela Bassett in Black Panther since we should get a T'Challa flashback.

Spider-Man may have a de-aged Keaton but not sure they will let Sony be around that tech.

He was still cute when he was stuck on the window and all sad at being picked on by the ravagers
My favorite was the sad Baby Groot walking slowly....that was adorable.
Drax felt like he was just there for the ride. We got development for Gamora,Quill, Yondu and Rocket.

We know he lost his family but he gained the guardians in the first movie. He wasn't sad or anything in this movie. He had nothing to gain.
Don't forget the scene when he is looking at the pond and Mantis touches him and starts crying. Pretty poignant.
Also. Another De-aged actor? They're really getting their mileage out that technology.
They are getting better as they go too.

One thing about the CGI. I completely forgot Groot and Rocket were CGI characters. That's pretty amazing.

I didn't understand why Ego had to kill Quil's mom. I believe he was telling the truth that if he visited her a 4th time he would fall too hard for her and that would remove the focus for his vision of expansion, but he is immortal. He's been alive for eons, and will be alive for eons to come. She will live another 70 or so years at most, that is such an inconsequential moment in time for him. So he's with her for her lifetime, then when she dies, back to his plan of expansion....

I didn't understand why Ego had to kill Quil's mom. I believe he was telling the truth that if he visited her a 4th time he would fall too hard for her and that would remove the focus for his vision of expansion, but he is immortal. He's been alive for eons, and will be alive for eons to come. She will live another 70 or so years at most, that is such an inconsequential moment in time for him. So he's with her for her lifetime, then when she dies, back to his plan of expansion....
You don't know how long he can sustain his avatar off the planet. They also never said how long his planet can survive without him. He killed her because he would have stayed the next time. He needed Peter too so if he let her live her long life he likely would have never gotten Peter. He wouldn't have been able to get him as a kid.

Overall it was good:

-Some of the jokes landed.
-Kurt Russell was great as Ego.
-The Nebula/Gamora stuff was good.
-The movie looks fantastic.
-The Rocket/Yondu stuff was good.
-Stallone, he's just awesome.
-The cameos were great.
-Baby Groot was fun, and not overused to the point that he becomes tedious like lots of other films would.
-Etc.

The Negatives/"Meh" stuff:

-I feel like they went a little overboard with the humor in places. Especially in the first half, where it felt almost like a sitcom. Not every scene needs to end with a joke. Also not all of the jokes really landed for me.

-Drax feels really dumbed down here, and he's just kind of there.

-Ayesha was really underused.

-I feel like there was some really noticeable plot-conveniences/contrivances to set up the third act.

-I didn't care much for the Ravagers here honestly. Most of them were rather annoying imo.

-I was less forgiving of the "too little story" thing here than I was for the first film.

-I feel like Gunn kind of retcons what he told us about the Celestials in the first film here.

-Etc.

Overall, it'd be somewhere between a 7.5-8/10 for me.

You don't know how long he can sustain his avatar off the planet. They also never said how long his planet can survive without him. He killed her because he would have stayed the next time. He needed Peter too so if he let her live her long life he likely would have never gotten Peter. He wouldn't have been able to get him as a kid.

Why not just bring her and Peter (as a child) to his planet. Show them around it, very similar to what he did with the Guardians, why not do that same thing 25 years earlier with Peter and his mom then. See if Peter has the attachment and can use powers, etc..

It's scare how good their getting with this stuff. I thought Kurt and Sylvester can now go make a sequel to Tango and Cash, that takes place right after the first one, lol!

Why not just bring her and Peter (as a child) to his planet. Show them around it, very similar to what he did with the Guardians, why not do that same thing 25 years earlier with Peter and his mom then. See if Peter has the attachment and can use powers, etc..

Agreed. Heck he could have disposed of her there if necessary (like he did with his other kids).

Honestly that felt to me like just Gunn going "well we need some reason for Peter to turn on him" and didn't put much more thought into it than that.

I saw it Friday at a Drive-In. Due to technical difficulties, the movie didn't start til after 11pm. And it started raining. So, I mean, I saw it, but definitely missed parts. What I did see, I really enjoyed. Not gonna give it a rating yet. I'll be seeing it again in IMAX on Wednesday. I'll report here afterwards.

So raise a child with no one around? What would they eat exactly? Hospitals for illness? Ego would still need to go off and mate for more batteries. I find leaving her and Peter on Earth for that time much more believable than just taking them with him as soon as Peter was born.

So raise a child with no one around? What would they eat exactly? Hospitals for illness? Ego would still need to go off and mate for more batteries. I find leaving her and Peter on Earth for that time much more believable than just taking them with him as soon as Peter was born.

No, I'm not saying take them off earth permanently. I am saying take them to Ego from time to time. If he needs to return to his planet after "x" amount of time, take her and Peter with him when he returns. Give them the tour that he gave the Guardians to, explain himself, see if Peter exhibits any indication that he has inherited his "celestial abilities", hang out there for a bit, and go back to earth. Repeat when necessary...

They really are getting better with each movie. Douglas in Ant-Man, young RDJ in Civil War, Russell...next Disney/Marvel will invent an actual time machine to bring them back from the past.

Just thought of this and laughed. Did anyone else just love how baby Groot attacked Drax on more than one occasion. Just looked funny as well as cute to me.

They really are getting better with each movie. Douglas in Ant-Man, young RDJ in Civil War, Russell...next Disney/Marvel will invent an actual time machine to bring them back from the past.

They did that with the actor who played Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One.

I vote for Walter Matthau as J. Jonah Jameson!!!!

Last edited:

All I was thinking was now I know why they pushed back Indy V. Young CG Ford.

Hipsters invented the idea of killing off characters? Someone tell Shakespeare. :oldrazz:

Come on. That dopey beard and 'ironic' retro clothing? It's been staring you in the face this whole time. :mnm:

Young Kurt and Sly for Tango and Cash 2

No, I'm not saying take them off earth permanently. I am saying take them to Ego from time to time. If he needs to return to his planet after "x" amount of time, take her and Peter with him when he returns. Give them the tour that he gave the Guardians to, explain himself, see if Peter exhibits any indication that he has inherited his "celestial abilities", hang out there for a bit, and go back to earth. Repeat when necessary...

Because this wouldn't solve the actual problem: that Ego was falling in love with Meredith. Keeping her around would exacerbate the problem, not fix it.

Because this wouldn't solve the actual problem: that Ego was falling in love with Meredith. Keeping her around would exacerbate the problem, not fix it.

But that's my whole point, she will only be alive for 70-ish more years, tops. That is not even a blink in the eye for Ego. Enjoy it while it lasts, once she's gone, back to the plan of taking over the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"