Part III (Spoiler Thread)

ccb8ef2421e5e0484fa9817d195ad1e746bb895f.gifv

Reva tells Grand Inquisitor that Kenobi has a connection to Bail Organa, so she used Leia to draw Obi-Wan out. This asks a fairly large question that I'm not convinced this show will resolve:

How come no one else tries this in the years after this, since it clearly works? It got Obi-Wan out of hiding. Vader still seems to think Obi-Wan is alive in Rebels. How come he or anyone else hasn't tried this, since then?

The Empire needs enemies. Palpatine manipulated the threat of the separatists so that he could gain power. Now that the Jedi Order no longer has inconvenient authority as a law enforcement agency, the remaining Jedi are a justification that the Emperor can cite in answer to the Senate as to why he’s holding onto his emergency powers.

Some wily agents of the Empire may suspect that the Inquisitors will be labelled the next seditious threat once the’ve eliminated all of the free senior Jedi such as Kenobi.

The Emperor benefits from Kenobi in particular being on the loose, since Vader’s hatred for Kenobi diverts Vader’s attention away from ambition to take the Emperor’s place.

Last edited:
:lmao::funny::applaud
Last one is not a Skywalker.
Well, she's not technically a Skywalker, but a Palpatine who took this name... so yeah.
That last pic should have been Kylo Ren/Ben instead of Rey
Well, Kylo sucks, to me, as a Skywalker, a villain and character, so the less mention of him the better, for me. Rey not's a Skywalker, but I'll take her over Kylo.

The Emperor benefits from Kenobi in particular being on the loose, since Vader’s hatred for Kenobi diverts Vader’s attention away from ambition to take the Emperor’s place.
That doesn't mean that not only would Vader try a similar tactic, but also the Organas, I think logically, could be labeled as accomplices to traitors and
terrorists.

Reva tells Grand Inquisitor that Kenobi has a connection to Bail Organa, so she used Leia to draw Obi-Wan out. This asks a fairly large question that I'm not convinced this show will resolve:

How come no one else tries this in the years after this, since it clearly works? It got Obi-Wan out of hiding. Vader still seems to think Obi-Wan is alive in Rebels. How come he or anyone else hasn't tried this, since then?

Simplest answer, since the Emperor still needs the Senate, constantly kidnapping a Senators kid is not a good idea. I mean, even now, Reva was getting pushback from the others for the plan.

I also suspect that her pursuit of Kenobi is not exactly going to work out for her, and the other Inquisitors will not want to piss off Vader.

Well, she's not technically a Skywalker, but a Palpatine who took this name... so yeah.
One, you don't know the surname of Rey's mother or father.

Two, I really hope you aren't the person who goes up to adopted children and tell them they aren't really their parents child.

Three, according to you, Han isn't a Solo.

That last pic should have been Kylo Ren/Ben instead of Rey
Kylo's never done that shot. He's also a Solo, not a Skywalker. He's never had the surname Skywalker. At least little Leia did. For five minutes.

I absolutely adore people saying that Rey isn't a Skywalker for a the "Skywalker" that she's the origin for. :funny:

Because Obi is going to look "dead" when this is over.

One, you don't know the surname of Rey's mother or father.

Two, I really hope you aren't the person who goes up to adopted children and tell them they aren't really their parents child.

Three, according to you, Han isn't a Solo.

One, it's certainly not Skywalker.

Two, well, to me this is just all a quite contrived plot point. She hung out with Luke for like two days, and I guess she has a bit of rapport with Leia. The person Rey seemed to bond the most with of the old crew was Han.

And three, according to the terrible trash that is the film Solo, that isn't even a name.

Two, well, to me this is just all a quite contrived plot point. She hung out with Luke for like two days, and I guess she has a bit of rapport with Leia. The person Rey seemed to bond the most with of the old crew was Han.

And three, according to the terrible trash that is the film Solo, that isn't even a name.
The Sequel Trilogy had so much potential. TFA laid out some strong groundwork. But there was no cohesive vision behind the scenes.

TROS is a great example of what happens when you don't have a plan for a Star Wars trilogy. Abrams tried his hardest to salvage that movie but the damage was already done. There's cool moments and great lightsaber fights but overall it's a jumbled mess of a movie.

"Rey Skywalker" is a pretty ridiculous concept. Can't believe we landed there after her awesome intro in TFA. I would have much rather gotten what Trevorrow had in mind. It still wouldn't have saved the Sequel Trilogy but it would have been better than TROS and it's collection of nonsense.

And?

She trained under Leia. She spent the most time with Leia. 18 months pass between TLJ and TROS.

But your feelings on whether it's contrived or not isn't relevant to the fact that she is Rey Skywalker.

Solo's awesome. And yes, it is a name. Because as weird as some of the views on blood and names seems to be here, names and their origins do not fit one way. Including surnames.

The Sequel Trilogy had so much potential. TFA laid out some strong groundwork. But there was no cohesive vision behind the scenes.

TROS is a great example of what happens when you don't have a plan for a Star Wars trilogy. Abrams tried his hardest to salvage that movie but the damage was already done. There's cool moments and great lightsaber fights but overall it's a jumbled mess of a movie.

"Rey Skywalker" is a pretty ridiculous concept. Can't believe we landed there after her awesome intro in TFA. I would have much rather gotten what Trevorrow had in mind. It still wouldn't have saved the Sequel Trilogy but it would have been better than TROS and it's collection of nonsense.
The concept is obvious and far from ridiculous. It's a found family story, that started with TFA. She takes the Skywalker lightsaber and the Falcon, while searching for a family.

Well, I quite like TLJ, despite its problems. To me the biggest problem with the trilogy is TROS. That and Solo are the only Star Wars films I've never rewatched.

And?

She trained under Leia. She spent the most time with Leia. 18 months pass between TLJ and TROS.

But your feelings on whether it's contrived or not isn't relevant to the fact that she is Rey Skywalker.

Solo's awesome. And yes, it is a name. Because as weird as some of the views on blood and names seems to be here, names and their origins do not fit one way. Including surnames.

Honestly I don't even know why I joined this discussion, as we don't even necessarily (entirely) disagree. As a core human value, I agree with you entirely, it's just that I severely dislike the way it was handled in the films.

The concept is obvious and far from ridiculous. It's a found family story, that started with TFA. She takes the Skywalker lightsaber and the Falcon, while searching for a family.
I dont disagree with you on the validity of someone taking up a name that wasn't their own. Vito Corleone is probably the most popular character in cinema to do it.

The problem with Rey is she didn't have the script behind her to sell us on her Skywalker name adoption. It just doesn't work for most people. I really liked her in TFA. I thought she had great potential.

TLJ's "Rey Nobody" worked a whole lot better than TROS's Rey Skywalker.

I'd venture to say 60% of the ideas in TROS don't work because there's no foundation to them laid out prior. Johnson rewrote Abrams. Trevorrow rewrote Johnson. Abrams rewrote Trevorrow. A recipe for disaster.

Honestly I don't even know why I joined this discussion, as we don't even necessarily (entirely) disagree. As a core human value, I agree with you entirely, it's just that I severely dislike the way it was handled in the films.
That's fair and I myself have a lot of issues with it as well. I think the overarching idea suffered with the sad passing of Carrie. I know people don't like the Palpatine stuff, and it was heavy handed in the, "your blood does not define you" idea. Still, Rey embodies the Skywalkers, even if she doesn't share the same blood. It's the same with Padme and Han, who are Skywalkers through marriage.

I dont disagree with you on the validity of someone taking up a name that wasn't their own. Vito Corleone is probably the most popular character in cinema to do it.

The problem with Rey is she didn't have the script behind her to sell us on her Skywalker name adoption. It just doesn't work for most people. I really liked her in TFA. I thought she had great potential.

TLJ's "Rey Nobody" worked a whole lot better than TROS's Rey Skywalker.

I'd venture to say 60% of the ideas in TROS don't work because there's no foundation to them laid out prior. Johnson rewrote Abrams. Trevorrow rewrote Johnson. Abrams rewrote Trevorrow. A recipe for disaster.
You have no way of proving that. But even if it were true, that doesn't change her identity or the story. Just like people disliking the prequels, doesn't change that Padme is Luke and Leia's mother. That Qui-Gon was responsible for finding Anakin, that the Sith is the order which Palpatine belongs to, etc.

Consider how this started. I posted a popular twitter post, put together by a fan. And then some people decided they needed to tear it down. It's Star Wars fandom in a nutshell.

Just catching up, and didn’t expect to see Vader so prominent already! I don’t care too much about sticking to continuity for Star Wars so filling in parts of Star Wars history with shows like this works well for me.

That's fair and I myself have a lot of issues with it as well. I think the overarching idea suffered with the sad passing of Carrie. I know people don't like the Palpatine stuff, and it was heavy handed in the, "your blood does not define you" idea. Still, Rey embodies the Skywalkers, even if she doesn't share the same blood. It's the same with Padme and Han, who are Skywalkers through marriage.

You have no way of proving that. But even if it were true, that doesn't change her identity or the story. Just like people disliking the prequels, doesn't change that Padme is Luke and Leia's mother. That Qui-Gon was responsible for finding Anakin, that the Sith is the order which Palpatine belongs to, etc.

Consider how this started. I posted a popular twitter post, put together by a fan. And then some people decided they needed to tear it down. It's Star Wars fandom in a nutshell.
If it wasn't heavily disliked several posters here wouldn't have challenged it. Or on Twitter. Bad concepts/ideas tend to elicit negative reactions. And they're mostly valid. It's not "Bad Star Wars Fandom". It's bad Star Wars storytelling.

It's the same reason most people loved TFA but disliked TLJ & TROS. The same reason most people loved Rogue One but disliked Solo.

I love Star Wars a whole and always welcome new writers and filmmakers to come expand the universe Lucas created. But you're bound to have hiccups. TLJ sent the franchise on a nosedive that obliterated any real chance Solo had at finding an audience. TROS couldn't save it. The Mandalorian literally had to repair years of damage made by three back to back misfires.

There's nothing wrong with buying into TROS and it's ideas. But it's definitely not a widely loved Star Wars episode and one most people heavily dislike.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"