Prequel to 'The Thing' - Part 1

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52400

A New Thing is Coming
Source: Variety
January 29, 2009

Variety has confirmed a Bloody-Disgusting scoop that said commercials director Matthijs van Heijningen will direct a prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 horror-thriller The Thing.

The studio has set "Battlestar Galactica" executive producer Ron Moore to write the script.

The new project borrows heavily from the John W. Campbell Jr. short story "Who Goes There," the basis of the Carpenter film and 1951 Howard Hawks original The Thing From Another World.

It is set in a Norwegian camp and chronicles how the alien was first discovered and overcame the inhabitants of that camp.

Strike Entertainment's Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing. David Foster will be executive producer.

I prefer this to a pointless remake.

There are people who think it isn't? I mean it's pretty obvious.

A lot of people think it's a remake based on the clips and trailers.

& speakin of clips, two of them were released:

[YT]FlDPxgDLgjw[/YT]

[YT]B9fOjBph6q8[/YT]

The gore was high up there. The monsters were cool. BUT without the tension from the first film - it just didn't carry as much weight.

Ironically even after leaving the theater I overheard one guy saying "I can't believe they're trying to pass this remake off as a prequel." When the films have nothing a like plot-wise, or tone-wise (unfortunately), other than the base that was investigated being in the same shape as we left it in this film.

Hmmm those two clips seem quite tense and show a level of paranoia quite well I think.

That was in the first half of the film, before the Thing is even unleashed - once it is - it turns into action movie rather than a horror movie in comparison to the original. The other clip is in the very last ten minutes.

November 3rd can't come fast enough. Watched the original again last weekend. I want to know what happened in that Norwegian camp :-)

That was in the first half of the film, before the Thing is even unleashed - once it is - it turns into action movie rather than a horror movie in comparison to the original. The other clip is in the very last ten minutes.

I saw that coming early on. Looks like I'll wait for this on Netflix if I'm ever in the mood.

If this is even 1/10 as good as Carpenter's masterpiece, it'll be worth a full price ticket a repeat viewing.

Heard a random rumor that this was gonna be a surprise movie that was gonna play at Fantastic Feast but after Tim League saw it he said no cause of how bad it was.

Heard a random rumor that this was gonna be a surprise movie that was gonna play at Fantastic Feast but after Tim League saw it he said no cause of how bad it was.

Tim League: "We did watch it. We did see and we thought about playing it. The studio ultimately didn’t want to play it, so take that for whatever it means. I liked the movie, I didn’t love it."

http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-...es-fave-films-the-raid-the-thing/#more-112301

Rumors are your enemy and google is your friend.

Interesting, does the fact he only thought about playing it mean it was just 'meh'...that's how I'm reading it.

Rumors are your enemy and google is your friend.

Very true. Is that what you did or did you know this before reading my post? I guess I should've done the same, I just heard it as an offhanded comment during a podcast so I didn't give much thought to it.

Last edited:
Interesting, does the fact he only thought about playing it mean it was just 'meh'...that's how I'm reading it.

He probably just thought it was "good", not "great".

From a new interview with Matthijs....

Your creature operates in basically the same way as the original, but because we’re 30 years down the line, it has an agility that makes it all the more terrifying. How did you manage to bring that physicality to it, yet retain that sticky, organic feel?

I just imagined what would be scary. Exploding humans are nice, but watching the Thing transform is even better. For it to follow you and track you down, that’s even scarier. For me, as a fanboy, we had to be practical. We had all the monsters available on set, and we shot it all in camera. Some stuff worked really nicely, and some was digitally enhanced to get rid of that 80s-Muppet-feel. It's that cross between a monster and a human that scares the **** out of me -- like a passenger riding this horrific ride and not being able to do anything but witness her own destruction. I like that stuff.

http://ology.com/screen/interview-thing-director-matthijs-van-heijningen-jr

Very true. Is that what you did or did you know this before reading my post? I guess I should've done the same, I just heard it as an offhanded comment during a podcast so I didn't give much thought to it.

I googled it. In the meantime since posting it, I heard the Couple of Cold Ones podcast that I suspect you got the rumor from. I may have to set Korey and Leon straight now too.

Nice to see another Spillio around here, those guys forget names and stuff all the time. They called two and a half men, three and a half men on ACOCO.

Yeah, I always chuckle at how frequently they have to fish for names and titles. Can't blame 'em. In another another decade when I've hit their age I'm sure my party-addled brain will be just as fuzzy as theirs are. They're always buzzed when they hit the mics anyway.

Clip from the movie

Haha, the subtitles are wrong. He's saying "Take it real f***ing easy" Or pretty close to it.

305748_2201060273933_1470112675_32261791_240764204_n.jpg

This is going to be the best Marvel movie EVER!

:oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"