Rate the Movie (Strange Edition)

R_Hythlodeus

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
So, Vartha wanted me to do this. It's a poll to rate the movie with 10 being the highest and 1 the lowest rating. We've all seen polls like that, we know how it works.

Last edited:
Thanks RH! remember, NO SPOILERS! Tag them if you have them

Yeah, NO SPOILERS! also, be nice to each other. it's fine to have different opinions.

An 8 for me,the movie was great and a lot of fun,
but the beginning of the movie was clunky,and some of humor parts did not work for me
(75% of the time it worked)

It was better than I honestly expected it to be. 8/10.

8.75/10 for me. Might change to an even 9/10 after more viewings. I loved it and it only come in a hair under CW this year for me. I rounded to a 9 for this poll.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed it. Would've liked a little bit of more time spent on his life before accident and on his training. But other than that I liked it a whole lot. This did a great job establishing Dr Strange to the MCU. 8/10

I loved it. But I'm a big fan of psychedelia and the Doctor is one of my favorite Marvel heroes, so I'm admittedly biased. Some of the humor was off beat and Cumberbatch's accent is a little wonky. But I absolutely loved the film.

9.5/10

The more I think about it, Doctor Strange wasn't just one of the best Marvel films ever made, it was one of the most visually mind blowing spectacles I have seen on the big screen since the first Matrix.

(Watched it in IMAX 3D)

Last edited:
Loved it, visually stunning and spectacular, a spot-on portrayal by the lead, and strong performances by the supporting cast (especially Tilda Swinton).

It's a classic origin story with enough twists and turns to make it interesting, and best of all it doesn't take itself too seriously.

While as many have said
the supporting characters needed to be more fleshed out, although this was made up for by the talents of those actors (Swinton, Ejiofor, Mikkelsen, McAdams)
it was enormously enjoyable.

Exceeded my expectations in every way (and I had reasonably high expectations going in).

A definite 9/10 ( I still rate Civil War as the best cbm of the year, with a 9.5) but on a par with Guardians of the Galaxy.

I liked Dr Strange comics, when I was a kid, and this film brought him to life in tremendously entertaining form.

Yup. A solid 8 for me. Great film and is even better on multiple viewings. I've seen it 3 times now.

I went with a 7/10. I liked it a lot, but overall the beginning felt a little rushed and Mads as Kaecilus was just kind of...there.

Cumberbatch as Strange is another really solid casting by Marvel and the action scenes were unique.

Well, JUST got back. I give it a 9, for the simple facts ...

...it COULD have been at LEAST another 10 minutes longer with the training or somethings letting you know more time had passed, AND something to let you know how much time it was for each surgery and healing.
It wasn't until the Ancient One mentions Strange had SEVEN procedures, that could have taken awhile

Other wise, then FX, action, and story were all GREAT to me. HOPEFULLY I'll be able to see the 3D next week as when I got out of the theater, I had a flat and the tire I had in the trunk isn't the best with the spare already ON the car

Last edited:
Well, JUST got back. I give it a 9, for the simple facts ...

...it COULD have been at LEAST another 10 minutes longer with the training or somethings letting you know more time had passed, AND something to let you know how much time it was for each surgery and healing.
It wasn't until the Ancient One mentions Strange had SEVEN procedures, that could have taken awhile

Other wise, then FX, action, and story were all GREAT to me. HOPEFULLY I'll be able to see the 3D next week as when I got out of the theater, I had a flat and the tire I had in the trunk isn't the best with the spare already ON the car

I was in a very similar space with your review and view on the
time they should have taken with his training. I felt it was almost a little too easy for him, although his suffering after the accident was well done, and Cumberbatch made him suitably pathetic when he first showed up at Kamar Taj. Really, he and TAO needed a few more scenes together, I liked that she was a bit more morally ambiguous than we'd expect.

Totally agree on a 9, gave it that myself - in fact I loved it so much, I went out and bought an old Dr Strange comic that I had read back in the 80's.

Sorry to hear about the flat, that sucks. Hope it all works out okay.

I gave it a 9/10. Really enjoyed it. I forget what Stan was reading? Marvel has done it again.

10/10. Was a Bennedict fan beforehand, but this was largely my intro to Strange. Third favorite film of the year after SING STREET and JUNGLE BOOK, see about one to three movies (or more) in theaters alone per week so I'm a suckef for innovation because it stands out. Favorite superhero movie of the year. The rest can't even begin to compare. In top five of favorite MCU films - First Avenger, Avenger, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr Strange (in no particular order). I'm still blown away.

Also added expectations since paid A LOT higher of a price. Typically the more I pay, the higher the expectations I have. I spent about fifty in all since I had to travel to the IMAX. And it was beyond worth it.

Last edited:
I gave it a 9 because it was just whoosh. Over. I wish it had been a bit longer. It was beautiful. Benedict could not have represented Strange better, IMHO. Saw it on the IMAX today, had to travel to get to it, but well worth it. I plan on seeing it locally in 3 D tomorrow.

Yeah I could have gone on for another hour Strange fan lol

The film held firmly to its comic roots. The biggest flaw was plenty of unnecessary humor, especially from Strange himself. It's not a top 5 Marvel film, but it's a solid edition to the MCU.

I wanted to watch it again immediately. I planned to see it at least twice more immediately after leaving. This movie could have lasted forever. They just nailed the tone completely right.

9 out of 10 for me. What an awesomely fun film.

Easy 9 out of 10, absolutely loved it. I just can't wait to go see it again.

10/10 for me, absolutely loved it. I'll also go ahead and mention maybe we make this a no comment thread because if everyone leaves what they thought when they've already clicked the button showing that and this thread goes to the next part then the poll will be locked.

10/10 for me

As a strange fan, I was thoroughly enjoyed by the presentation of the characters and even the villain. I understand why people would throw the "weak villain" argument at the movie but I thought mads' characters was well developed and I hope to see more of him in the future. Tilda Swinton was amazing as the ancient one and was great casting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"