Rate the Movie (Strange Edition)

I've used an A through F scale before for the movies, so I have to think on how to convert it. It would be solid A if that's what we were using (comparable to Ant-Man and the first Iron Man, but less than The Winter Soldier and Guardians at A+). Given that, I gave it a 9. I think that works for "as good as you can get without being the best."

Gave it a 9. Just about everything worked for me. All of the characters served their purpose. The pacing was great. I was never bored or annoyed and that's a testament to the characters and the performers. The action truly was mind-bending lol. I'm definitely going to go see it again. I've been watching Benedict Cumberbatch since Sherlock season 1 and I already knew what he was capable of so it's no surprise he nailed Strange's character. Seeing the first after-credits scene was awesome. Got gasps from the crowd. I've also been a big fan of Chiwetel Ejiofor since Four Brothers. I'm looking forward to him getting a bigger presence in the sequel. Bring it on!!

Gave it a solid 7/10. I know it may seem a little low but the highest I have ever ranked a MCU film is 8/10 (Avengers, Civil War, The Winter Soldier). My favorite cbm of all time (TDK) I gave it 9/10. Basically I have Strange in very good company as I rated it as high as the likes of Iron Man, Batman Begins or Ant-Man (which prior to Strange was my second favorite origin movie in the MCU).

On the other hand BvS is a solid 0/10 and SS sits at tremedous 2/10. Just to give you a little perspective.

Last edited:
Absolutely a 10/10 from me. It was new in the same way that Ant-Man was due to it offering something completely different that the genre hadn't yet tapped into heavily yet. It offered new visuals, a compelling story and was definitely the breathe of fresh air the genre has been needing since Civil War.

I give it an 8, the visuals were good, but Civil War still wins for me in the visual field for Marvel this year. Doctor Strange could of easily taken the spot, if Marvel and Disney amped up the energy of the visual effects a bit more for 3D

10/10 for me

As a strange fan, I was thoroughly enjoyed by the presentation of the characters and even the villain. I understand why people would throw the "weak villain" argument at the movie but I thought mads' characters was well developed and I hope to see more of him in the future. Tilda Swinton was amazing as the ancient one and was great casting.

I cant agree with the weak villain argument at all. Mads character was extremely formidable and and I don't want to leave any spoilers but he basically did what he set out to do. If it wasn't for a certain sneaky doctor if course

Last edited:
Doctor Strange is my favorite Marvel character so my expectations going in were extremely high. Saw it Thursday night in IMAX 3D and it exceeded everything I was hoping it'd be. It's easily my favorite of all the MCU movies and I can't wait to get back in the theatre and see it again. I highly recommend the IMAX 3D experience, but if that gives you headaches or you don't care for it, seeing it in 2D even will spin your head around. Great visuals, and great acting all around.

10... I absolutely loved it! Definitely a 3D movie!

I really enjoyed it and was going to say a solid 8 but the visuals push it to a 9.

Loved it. Saw it in 2d today will see it in 3D IMAX next week probably. Gave it a 9 as I wish we had gotten more Mikkelsen.

8/10

The movie itself is rather tame but a very nice origin film. This is a pure introduction to the character that opens up a unique aspect of the Marvel Universe. Hopefully, they’ll be able to incorporate these ultra-fantastical elements without being too jarring or taking away from the grounded nature of what we’ve seen before in the MCU.

It feels like a really good appetizer to me rather than a full meal. Nothing wrong with that.

Fun flick. Loved the visuals, cast, score and introducing some new wild elements into the MCU. Not my favorite first of a Marvel series, but a solid flick and definitely one of the stronger blockbusters of the year.

7/10

I voted 7 but my real vote is a 7.5. Can't justify giving it an 8, but I really enjoyed it. Strange is a character that needs to mix with others, I'm hoping his next solo film isn't solo.

Saw it twice and loved it even more the second time. Easy 8.5 for me.

9/10 overall, 10/10 for visuals and cinematography.

10/10. I definitely enjoyed the movie overall, and I absolutely loved seeing the visual effects in IMAX 3D.

10/10. I definitely enjoyed the movie overall, and I absolutely loved seeing the visual effects in IMAX 3D.

Yes! For those who haven't seen it yet, I beg you to do yourself a favor and see it in the largest 3D format available in your area. You will not regret it.

Yes! For those who haven't seen it yet, I beg you to do yourself a favor and see it in the largest 3D format available in your area. You will not regret it.
I agree, actually in EITHER 2D or 3D see the film on the largest screen you can. You won't regret it.

9.5/10.

My favorite Marvel movie. Best acted in my opinion.

9.5/10.

My favorite Marvel movie.

I'm going to see it again in a couple of days and I think it's definitely getting up there in my estimation. I think I still rank GotG, The Avengers and Winter Soldier very slightly above it, but that may change after seeing it a second time. I just loved pretty much everything about it.

I give it a solid 8. Amazing visuals and score, and good origin story, even if it was a bit formulaic.

Finally saw it tonight. Loved it and want to see more of him. 8.5/10

8/10 for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

9/10 after my fourth viewing, holding solidly as my favorite Marvel film, tied with Iron Man. Loved the performances and the story. So much depth to the characters. And those effects were out of this world.

Only complaint is that it could have been a bit longer to flesh things out some more, then it would have been 10/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"